Looking for a herbicide to.....

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't have my Grazon or Forefront labels handy but they would be my first choices. Both are made by DowAgra so you should be able to do a web search for the labels. If memory serves, the only grazing restrictions are for lactating dairy cows, if even that. Good stuff.

The only problem you may have with control is if the plants have set blooms and are not actively growing now.

Hope this helps a little.

They have started to bloom but I'm thinking I could run the brush cutter over them and give them a couple weeks to sucker back out and then hit them with the right chemical to hopefully knock the fire out of them.

It's been a long time since I tried to kill nettles. There are several types of nettles, some of which Grazon won't touch. Go by your local feed and seed dealer and ask them. Might even take a sample of the nettle you're trying to control.

Is it this plant? -
http://www.noble.org/WebApps/PlantImage ... ntTypeID=1

Individual plant treatment with a pump up sprayer:
2 tbsp. 2,4-D
2 tbsp surfactant
3 gal. Water

Spray before full bloom

This gives a slow kill which is what you want. If you get a fast burn down, the herbicide does not have a chance to translocate and kill the big root or corm under the ground.

If I recall correctly it's like thistle in as much as it;s a 2 year plant.

BC":226b18g3 said:
Is it this plant? -

2 tbsp. 2,4-D
2 tbsp surfactant
3 gal. Water

Spray before full bloom

This gives a slow kill which is what you want. If you get a fast burn down, the herbicide does not have a chance to translocate and kill the big root or corm under the ground.

I couldn't get that link to pull up but here is a picture of it.

bullnettle.jpg

dun":1urv8j9j said:
If I recall correctly it's like thistle in as much as it;s a 2 year plant.

Dun, I belive you are correct. From what I have found it's classified as a "biennial" as that it goes through the reproduction stage every other year. I purchased some stuff from the feed store last year that it stunted there growth a little but didn't kill and there back two fold this year. I have a neighbor that has a private applicators certificate so I'm trying to find something that is a sure kill.

SSS Angus":3o08tq91 said:
BC":3o08tq91 said:
Is it this plant? -

2 tbsp. 2,4-D
2 tbsp surfactant
3 gal. Water

Spray before full bloom

I couldn't get that link to pull up but here is a picture of it.

The picture you posted was what we call bull nettle. The recipe above will work.
bullnettle.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies. I picked up some Surmount and Grazon P&D, one of the two should get it.. :mrgreen: I'm also gonna try the Surmount on some prickly pear any suggestions?

Latest posts