Looking for a good Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
My neighbor and I are seriously considering crossing our Belties (me) and Devons (him) with Wagyu genetics. We're looking for a good bull to jointly own, with myself fall calving and him spring. I've done some looking online but am curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of a reputable breeder. We're in Michigan, but will travel to get a good bull.

Thanks Best. I've been on the sight and see the breeders list. I'm hoping someone has some more personal experience they could share.

I've heard belties beef is good eating..tender, with good marbling..don't know how you'd improve on a good thing,without having white steaks with flecks of red... :cowboy:

Beltie beef is very good. I'm not sure if the wagyu influence will increase its quality or not. We're both hoping for a premium beef, but the marketing, being able to advertise as wagyu, is very important as well.

I have had a couple steaks given to me by an old friend and I will say in my one time eating a steak it sure was good. Tender and juicy. But too go out and eat one of those steaks Id have to get a second job lol.

NonTypicalCPA":2020vccl said:
gcreekrch":2020vccl said:
Is there such a thing as a good Wagyu?

There not much to look at but they sure taste good according to my research.
They may be delicious but it also may put me into a state of depression to look at my pastures full of those sorry things..

Lazy M":2aq5rovd said:
NonTypicalCPA":2aq5rovd said:
gcreekrch":2aq5rovd said:

They may be delicious but it also may put me into a state of depression to look at my pastures full of those sorry things..
Back pasture cattle for sure.. way back...

Lazy M":yicnqwo7 said:
NonTypicalCPA":yicnqwo7 said:
gcreekrch":yicnqwo7 said:

Although some on the sites that gizmom posted actually don't look too bad

Trying one on some heifers has crossed my mind a lot over the past few years. I still don't have enough land or cows to try this little experiment, but still interested. Found out a couple weeks ago a friend of mine put one on about 20 angus cross and should be seeing calves in a couple months. Not having a direct market in place first would scare me - they sure wouldn't bring too much at the sale barn...

To fully utilise them they have to be specially fed for extended periods to get the marbling that is desired. Where I am they do sell for a nice premium but you need to have a deck load to market them to the feeders either direct or through an online auction. As has been said if you put them through a normal sale they won't make much money.

Ken

This is a Waygu my friend Desi owns, he won the Houston Livestock show twice when I saw him as a calf I had trouble believing he was a Waygu for one he was the first red I had seen and two he wasn't ugly.

Gizmom

Latest posts