Looking for a good Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm wishing you the best in your endeavor, but also hoping that you go into it carefully and well informed. I don't know anything about that breed but have had some costly tuitions on some ventures into other breeds. Whether it was intentional or not more than once I have been talked into making several purchases that did not pan out at all. Promoters and marketing can sound real convincing but they tend not to tell the negatives. Again I don't know anything about that breed but have heard that the maternal instincts are not wonderful. As for any cull animals that are marketed through the stockyards, they likely won't sell any better than anything else and likely will be docked. Not trying to be discouraging just been there myself many times.

From what I can determine, Waygu is a generic term for Japanese Cow. The red ones are Akaushi, that is my understanding. Which are thicker and larger rears. As the one shown at the Houston Show pictured earlier in post.

Ky hills":yr9q4tk4 said:
I'm wishing you the best in your endeavor, but also hoping that you go into it carefully and well informed. I don't know anything about that breed but have had some costly tuitions on some ventures into other breeds. Whether it was intentional or not more than once I have been talked into making several purchases that did not pan out at all. Promoters and marketing can sound real convincing but they tend not to tell the negatives. Again I don't know anything about that breed but have heard that the maternal instincts are not wonderful. As for any cull animals that are marketed through the stockyards, they likely won't sell any better than anything else and likely will be docked. Not trying to be discouraging just been there myself many times.

Here in lies the problem of cull animals. If you raise beef you are going to deal with the salebarn just fact.
The salebarn is not some evil place it's where the free market really works.
I am from 18 miles west of the young man looking to get started.
What he does have to haul to Nacogdoches or Crockett will hurt and Livingston will be downright ugly.
With all the regulations and processing I just see this as really a tough row to hoe on such a small scale going down the private treaty road, let alone the liability with it.
This is what I was referring too as a lot of regs changed in the last few years about selling meat dairy etc.

https://dshs.texas.gov/meat/faq.aspx

I wish him the best of luck but as you said I hope he has his ducks in line before jumping in the deep end.

Hello,
I am not sure where you are located but if you are in the Northwest I would recommend talking to Garth at Idaho Wagyu Genetics. I currently have a bull from him that is great. If your in the Texas area I would recommend talking to the Chisholm's at Chisholm Cattle Company. They are great to deal with and have bred some amazing animals such as JC Rueshawsan 65 and JC Rueshaw 75.

I suggest buying 3-4 Wagyu steaks from different providers who sell F1 Wagyu then purchasing 3-4 100% steaks from proven wagyu breeders with good reputations and then figure out if your product deserves the "Wagyu" designation which insinuates 100% Wagyu. Nothing gets my BP up more than spending $50 at a market on a Hyped Up F1 Wagyu Steak and finding out it's Low Quality / High Dollar beef. Your customers will feel the same. If It's 1/2 Beltie 1/2 Wagyu, Label it accordingly.

F1 Wagyu is supposedly to be marketed as "Wagyu Influenced" and FB Wagyu only to be marketed as Kobi in Japan.
Sort of like true Champagne is only produced in France, anything else is technically Sparkling Wine.
Even though fancy-schamcy restaurants often mislead to charge more, very common with restaurant seafood too.
I agree with cypressjeff in that over promising/under delivering raises my bp too.
But I know NonTypicalCPA is not that kind of guy.

There are no "legal" rules defining how Wagyu f1s are marketed which causes the problem of poor representation. There are plenty High Quality FB Wagyu raised here in the US.

cypressjeff":2skf8qfk said:
There are no "legal" rules defining how Wagyu f1s are marketed which causes the problem of poor representation. There are plenty High Quality FB Wagyu raised here in the US.

Have you read CAB requirements?
I say that with an Angus bull standing in my pasture. It's deception at best, genius in marketing.

cypressjeff":36lhca41 said:
There are plenty High Quality FB Wagyu raised here in the US.
And California and Italy says their sparkling wines are as good or better than any produced in the Champagne region
of France. I couldn't tell you... I've never had champagne in France nor Kobi/wagyu in Japan.

No different than people making claims that GMO products are unhealthy.
No different than people saying Organic is healthier.
No different than people saying Grass Fed is healthier.
No research to back these statements up. Why aren't people getting sued???

Laws are only as good as their enforcement.
Not uncommon to be served pollock or tilapia when the menu claims cod or red snapper.
China is the worst offender, labeling and exporting farm raised China Pollock as wild caught Canadian Cod.

Yes I'm definitely not selling as 100% wagyu, just hopefully a great f1 cross beef. Lies are like chickens, they come home to roost.

Latest posts