Looking for a good Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

The common feeling of most of the Wagyu breeders we've been in contact with on our search is that they feel the future of beef in the US is a 50/50 cross with a Wagyu. Biased of course, but interesting. We're looking forward to giving it a go.

NonTypicalCPA":3vstf372 said:
We're looking at a 14 month old out of this bull. It looks good that he will be coming to work on our two farms!

Hirashigetayasu is a group C wagyu sire used to increase frame, growth and milk in full blood wagyu cows.
Highly recommended for use on full blood Tajima cows.

When mated to group B Tajima bloodline 80% of his steers graded A5 the highest grade in Japan.

My plan is to add a fullblood cow to my small herd as soon as I sell a few animals so I can compare the cross and fullblood side by side.

Well we brought this guy home yesterday. 18 months old and 968lbs. Looking forward to seeing what he brings to our herds, and how he fills out with age. I also attached a picture of his sire.

They definitely don't have your typical beef cattle frame, but when you can sell weaned calves for $5,000 and up, who really cares?

Plus right now I'm just producing F1's and all my girls have big butts to bring to the table.

Your market must be different to ours. People do well with the Angus F1 weaners but those big dollars aren't available until they have been fed for a long while.

Ken

Dogs and Cows":2q2jjjvc said:
NonTypicalCPA":2q2jjjvc said:
I think it's part supply and demand. There aren't a lot around us.

I don't think there are a lot in my area, but I have seen them recently for $2500 to $2800 for bred heifers....

That's about right if they're pure blood. Full bloods bring a lot more.

The only way I could get a program like that to fly here..is to sell the beef directly to the public..to many look at the outside of the animal,thinking they know what's on the inside..sad part is,,fat will sell one quicker to the average yahoo...

NonTypicalCPA":12czylg8 said:
They definitely don't have your typical beef cattle frame, but when you can sell weaned calves for $5,000 and up, who really cares?

Plus right now I'm just producing F1's and all my girls have big butts to bring to the table.
So, you are saying, all your 1/2 blood calves sired by this bull are supposed to be worth $5000 at weaning age? Do you have your buyers lined up?
Or, are you saying PB/fullblood calves are worth $5000? bulls and/or heifers? Anyone can ask that price but are they getting it? I have a heifer I have priced at $6000 - which I hope NOT to sell. But, I have others priced at $2000-$4000 which I do expect to sell some of them at that price - after weaning.

The pure bloods bring the most money. The two farms I've contacted in the Midwest with good genetics price their heifers starting at $7,000. Our bull was $9,000. The only way that he was affordable is that a buddy went in on him with me. I fall calve and he springs.

NonTypicalCPA":fq97dazy said:
The pure bloods bring the most money. The two farms I've contacted in the Midwest with good genetics price their heifers starting at $7,000. Our bull was $9,000. The only way that he was affordable is that a buddy went in on him with me. I fall calve and he springs.
Man your are a visionary...if I paid 9k for a animal That looked like that.. I'd have to be a regular Nostradamus :cboy:

I can certainly see the market for f1 crosses if you find your buyers. They're out there for those able to put in the effort. But the seedstock market would worry me. The claims sounds earily familiar to those of alpaca sellers some years back.