Looking for a different tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade to a little bit bigger of a tractor, currently have a Massey Ferguson 180 with a loader it's been a good tractor but is in need of some repairs and it's pretty worn out. Rather than spending money on it I am just going to buy something else. I use the tractor to feed hay in the winter and brush hog in the summer and whatever other various tasks or loader work need to be done around.

I'm looking at a few JD 4020 tractors I've seen where some have said to avoid the power shift and go synchro shift other than that it seems that those tractors are well liked and parts seem to be available for them. As much as I would like to buy a tractor with a cab and heat/ac it's not the right time, I can sell the Massey and take the money from that to put towards a nice 4020 with a 158 loader for under 10k

Anybody have any experience with these tractors? My neighbor has been telling me they are some of the best tractors JD made, my wife doesn't understand why I am going from a early 70's model tractor to a 1966 JD when I am supposed to be "upgrading" :hide:

I've spent many hours on jd 4020s both with and without loaders. And for the price that would be my tractor of choice

Great tractors for sure. Too bad the clutch is dry. Not the handiest loader tractors, but ours didn't have joystick controls. If you could rig that up it would be a game changer. The front ends are light on these tractors though, they can get hard on tie rod ends and the stock front wheels will break up especially if turning fast and sharp doing field work.
I don't have any experience with them but I saw a 4520 once and it had a front end under it like a 5020.

I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but I would be looking for something newer with mfwd.
Now before everyone starts in about how great a 4020 is I spent 20 years on one until we sold it a couple years back ( also owned a 5020 for 10 yrs). It was a great tractor, and it basically helped build our farm from scratch. I had to hold back tears when we sold it ( it was bought when I was 4).
Through the years we added a 5420fwd with loader, a 4050 mfwd and finally replaced the 4020 with a 6605 mfwd, cab, loader. Each newer tractor offered more comfort, and convenience than the 4020.
I personally feel 2wd tractors make poor loader tractors, and your sure not getting a power reverser on that 4020.
Having said that if you do go with the 4020 make sure your not buying a paint job cover up. Fresh paint hides alot on on a old tractor. Make sure the front frame rails aren't cracked, the hydraulic are strong and not starting to chatter ( also won't build hydraulic pressure with clutch in), steering is strong, pto clutch is strong and PTO stops when shut off, put a load on the the brakes and make sure there strong, also know they do not work at all if the tractor is not running. The syncro transmission should have a reverse under 3rd and 5th but some are worn enough to go into 7th reverse ( both our 4020 and 5020 would). The power shift in those tractor were very strong and had little problems. The front end is a little light for heavy duty loader work. Most of the hour meters are broke or have rolled over once or twice ( ours showed 4500 had 14500).
When we sold it it was leaking oil everywhere, needed hydraulic work, injectors, possibly a rebuild, the rear rims were about rusted through from calcium and we told them about everything, still got 7500 for it.

Thanks for all the replies I called to setup an appointment with the guy that had the tractor and he told me he sold it this morning. It was a nice machine but there's more out there I will keep looking. I am not dead set on a JD 4020 just really liked that one and the money was right, I'm not opposed to other brands either I am more looking for the best bang for my buck.

I've managed the last few years with a 2wd loader tractor that ran off of the rear remotes that sure makes loader work harder. I don't think I'll go that route again the new one must have a joystick, other than that I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a good low hour tractor that was driven by the little old lady next door. :)

How much are you looking to invest, hp, brand, attachments, preferences, etc. and some of the folks here will line you up. THis time of year there are lots of machinery auctions. If it were me I would try to find a pre-tier 4 tractor, but have a lot of the latter options with lower hours and taken care of. Expect to pay plenty, but in the long run you will be better off.

Would like to stay in the $20k range, not to say I wouldn't exceed that if the right deal came along. I have a few preferences but it's like anything I want a loader tractor but if I found one without a loader for the right price I'd buy it then buy a loader. Cab would be nice but not necessary, power reverser would be nice, front wheel assist would also be good.

There's too many options I could buy a nice tractor with some of the comforts but it'll likely have to be a machine with higher hours, or I could do without some of the features and comforts and get a lower hour tractor.

So I guess in short the necessity would really be a loader with a joystick, I know some of the other options would be nice but I have to draw the line somewhere. If money wasn't a factor I'd have one heck of a tractor, I will just have to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along.

If money was no object, I'd have a tractor for every piece of equipment! Then the one I needed wouldn't start, probably.

snoopdog said:
If money was no object, I'd have a tractor for every piece of equipment! Then the one I needed wouldn't start, probably.

And a battery charger for each in their shed/stall..... :lol:

I had the 4010D, 4020LP, 4230DC all 2wd, over the years with the 4020 having a JD 157 I think was the loader, 8' bucket. Front tires were 9.00 or 10.00 x 15 or 16. Problems were in soft ground the tires would sink, couldn't back out when doing things like cleaning out ponds, and with 4 contact points and no "quick attach" function (like todays skid steer quick attach mechanisms) trying to take the bucket off and install a hay fork was a JOKE!

Other thing is working parallel to banks, again like cleaning out a pond (during a drought) or cleaning up on slopes around the farm, like running along feed bunks on a slope, you have no control on the front end with 2wd.

I think JD is overpriced and no longer have one. I have 3 Fords currently and for the money a super tractor. I think you want 4wd on whatever you buy and unless you do a lot of work in inclement weather, an open station is just fine.....however, dust from haying, or plowing can be a big problem. MF are good, survived the test of time, popular, and available also. I had 3 of them over the years and stout workers.

High operating hours aren't necessarily a problem providing the PO maintained the machine correctly. Reason for selling, if telling the truth is a good indication that you might be getting a good deal. My last purchase, just last year, was a 1988 Ford with 900 hours on Craigs list from an estate sale. Super buy.

If you work alone, several tractors do better than trying to get one to do it all. Opting for a couple of older tractors that will meet your anticipated needs may serve you better than one newer one at a much higher price.

Good luck!

I would save my money until I could afford a cab. In addition what mark says about dust, you don't want to use a sprayer in open cab.

If you look at resale values, the price of the cab retains its value almost entirely if the AC and heat work. So you get to enjoy it for years at very little cost. Life is to short to spend it sucking up fumes, dust and spray mist, not to mention comfort.

If you've been happy with a Massey Ferguson 180 for it's ability,Take a look at a Ford or Ford/New Holland 5610.It has the same engine the old tried and true 5000 had.A 256 cu.in. four with 62 PTO hp.Another option would be a 6600 or even a 6640.
My 6640 handles anything I do.It is the 12 speed version although the eight speed would work well.
One of the main things to consider,as many have said before in these threads,is dealer support in your area.You are going to need parts sooner or later and owning something you need to make a day trip for parts isn't good when you are busy.

JW IN VA said:
If you've been happy with a Massey Ferguson 180 for it's ability,Take a look at a Ford or Ford/New Holland 5610.It has the same engine the old tried and true 5000 had.A 256 cu.in. four with 62 PTO hp.Another option would be a 6600 or even a 6640.
My 6640 handles anything I do.It is the 12 speed version although the eight speed would work well.
One of the main things to consider,as many have said before in these threads,is dealer support in your area.You are going to need parts sooner or later and owning something you need to make a day trip for parts isn't good when you are busy.

All States Ag. Parts (.com) is a very competent parts supplier and I get parts the second day after the day the order is placed. Good prices and quality parts. I seldom go to dealers for any of my equipment. For salvage yard parts, Broken Tractor (.com) buys slavage tractors and have a large inventory of older parts....recalling they restore some parts too.

I order some parts online when I'm not in desperate need. But if you use the tractor for time sensitive things like hay, or feeding cows there will come a time when a "local" dealer is desperately needed.

My only local dealer is 90 miles away so not really that local. But when you have hay that needs baled and you need a fuel lift pump asap that trip isn't bad and I got my hay baled that day before a week of rain. Or a steering cylinder seal failure when the cows needed fed, called and had them set the parts outside so I was able to make the trip after hours, get home, rebuild the cylinder and feed cows before some online joint would have even been able to receive my order.

We have an IH684.. it's a pretty good tractor, it's built around the chassis of the very popular 574, ours has no loader, but I hear they had great hydraulics for loader work. Neighbors have some 4020's and they've been good tractors to them I know.

Well I did it.... got most of what I was looking for in my price range. Bought a John Deere 5325 with a cab and a H240 self leveling loader. Pretty nice machine has about 1,700 hours on it, the only compromise was the front wheel assist. There was such a huge price gap between the two. I think I got a good deal on this one because they had been sitting on it for awhile 2wd tractors don't sell as good anymore everyone wants 4x4.

I like it so far plan to fill the rear tires for weight friend and I were talking he said as long as I don't get in a hurry I will be just fine with my 2wd tractor especially since I was already used to running only a 2wd.

Latest posts