Check the Deere that size used to be made by Yanmir.
The Yanmir is cheaper.
NH has virtually become non existent here.
It’s pretty much orange or red here Kubota, Kioti, and Mahindra.
Ok so still waiting for my tractor.. I can't get a solid date. I called the dealer and asked when he says I hope by end of April. I tell him ok but I need it by then for sure. I tell him I can get the long kit for 3rd function for 880.00 mailed to me. He tells me it will be 950.00 I said wow I did my part for financing and waiting for the tractor and you can't work with me on the cost of the kit. He said I'll call you back in a few let you know what I can do. Well I guess it's still few minutes he never called me back. I called a dealer who has a work master 35 on lot that he just got and is what I want. I signed no paperwork and honestly feel like I'm not being valued at all. I mean he's gonna make thousands which is fine but you can't say you're right you didn't have to wait and stuck it out let's split the cost of the kit. Am I being unreasonable? Maybe pissed him off when I said I'm waiting to get what I want from you I could just get a orange tractor tomorrow in a package deal for a few more grand. Would you walk and buy something else or wait? Should he call back am I wrong to say look let's split the cost of the kit? What say you?
I do need it badly. I'm gonna tell him I think it would show good will if we split the cost of it he told me tractor price I didn't haggle and they are actually 800.00 more than another dealer quoted me.A lot depends, but if you need it ASAP and you have know delivery date I don't see it as unreasonable. You have not signed any paperwork.
The critical information is how long can you weight for the 3rd function kit, and does the other dealer have the kit for that tractor?
All kinds of supplies are not available as they use to be. Have to realize that kit that he says will be there by the end of May could easily be end of June. And dealer has no control over that date.
If he doesn't call by 5 today im going to tell him don't worry about it and go with another dealer instead. These companies have no clue what customer service is at all.Sounds like he is a bit of a sook, spitting the dummy because you are trying to do a deal. Surely most customers would try and bargain with them. He needs to toughen up a bit.