Looking at these cows to buy...

Help Support CattleToday:

[

Read the quote below again and ask yourself if you were the seller, would you be happy with it?

If not I would have him pay to have the vet come out and check them out real good and if no problems found then I might take a chance on em if the price was right

I'm not happy to pay for a vet to give someone peace of mind when buying my culls when the buyer MIGHT take a chance on them IF the price was right.

I guess I'm just not that hard up to make a sale, especially not when it involves my culls.[/quote]

I failed to recognize the source. My apologies. :nod:

Hey all,

thanks MUCH for all the comments... ALL good comments and I'll give you a little more background.

He does NOT feed them anything other than the grass pasture that they are on in the summer. He said he will grain them a few times a week in the winter. Just cracked corn. They are home grown and raised, and he only owns 9 cows. He wants to sell 8, and he's keeping a yearling heifer (she's in one of the pics) and a baldy cow that was a daughter or granddaughter to one of his grandpa's favorite cows. He isn't in the cattle business, he works off the home place part-time as he is retired. They are keeping their horses, and he's also selling off his gooseneck livestock trailer which I also looked at to purchase but its a bit rusty and the floor wasn't too good so I took a pass. I happened to find their sale ad by a fluke and I intend to keep it close to my chest for now til I decide what I want to do. He is several hundred miles from me so taking MY vet along to check them isn't an option. It also is across a state line so I was told I'd need health certs anyway so I'd have them mouthed and preg-tested. We have NOT hammered out any purchase details yet.
He wants $875 per cow and that includes the cow with the month old hereford heifer on her side. I think its a pretty good deal, actually a DANG good deal if the cows are bred. What say you?

and yep, I'd have to have them all vaccinated too.... AND wormed before they come home.

My husband has only seen pics as he's on the road, and like I said before, I"m a real GREENhorn!

ps. we had taken out some shuckings of sweet corn, he and his wife were canning corn when I arrived so yep, they are chewing on their version of CANDY :lol2:

One middle ground rather than "might take them" is to reach an agreement with the seller and give him a dpeosit, not the full amount, subject to a vet's checking. This holds the cattle for you and gives you the time and right to not take any the vet does not feel are as offered...

Good luck.

Jim

One middle ground rather than "might take them" is to reach an agreement with the seller and give him a dpeosit, not the full amount, subject to a vet's checking. This holds the cattle for you and gives you the time and right to not take any the vet does not feel are as offered...

Good luck.

Jim

Go ahead and buy them and haul them home. If any don;t work out ship them to the salebarn. Consider it part of the cost of your tuition for the educaiton you'll receive

But, I didn't see ear tags in them... Isn't that a red flag on buying them? :lol2: :lol2:

In all seriousness, I would purchase these cows. They seem like a pretty decent package that could really work for you.

Just lurking around here and saw the post. My two cents: they sure look like good cows to me and for the price I doubt if you could go wrong. The seller sounds like alot of folks around here who are not cattle barons, they just have a few cows that they take good care of but don't keep extended spread sheets on them. Seems like alot of folks on here try to pick them apart, sure it's a good idea to find out as much about them as possible before purchasing but seeing them with those nice calves at their sides tells me that they are pretty good cows. I don't see how you would go wrong with them. Good luck.

Rustler9":ejp3of65 said:
Just lurking around here and saw the post. My two cents: they sure look like good cows to me and for the price I doubt if you could go wrong. The seller sounds like alot of folks around here who are not cattle barons, they just have a few cows that they take good care of but don't keep extended spread sheets on them. Seems like alot of folks on here try to pick them apart, sure it's a good idea to find out as much about them as possible before purchasing but seeing them with those nice calves at their sides tells me that they are pretty good cows. I don't see how you would go wrong with them. Good luck.

Roger, I agree with you! Guess it's middle TN's way of thinking. ;-)

Latest posts