looking at starting new farm

Help Support CattleToday:

North

Reaction score
Well I live up in Fort St. John BC. I am looking at starting a small farm. I have found a 160 acres for 199,000. It has a trailer on it at the moment however no fence. I do have a full time job. I am looking at getting into a small cattle operation I am thinking 30 head of cattle calfing the thirty out and then backgrounding the calves and then send those off to market. I would like run with black angus. I am hoping to have enough room to run them on the 1/4 section and also produce most my winter feed off of the land to keep cost to a minimum. My ultimate goal would be to be able to produce 40k-60k a year as extra income. Does this sound feasible or are there any recomondation. Also what would be the best way to start and to grow the heard. Open to hear all thoughts. Thanks

Tough part of the world to raise 30 cows on a quarter

Need lots of infrastructure and lots of feed

You will be feeding for 7 months minimum and sometimes 8.

Unless you have a big budget or lots of time off I would start with something established first - takes too long to get going on a part time basis up there.

Ever price out fence up there? And posts? And how you going to drive them?

Time and money are your enemy in that part of the world.

The next time you drive over the Dunvegan Bridge near Fairview Alberta you will be within 5 miles of my old place - so I do have a bit of a schmick about what I am saying.

Not interested in getting into a prolonged discussion about this as it is a common topic - but you need to get your ducks in a row and plan on spending far more than you think just to get ready - and you better have the hay ground to back it.

It can be done - but you are going to need far more than your quarter section to do it up there.

Cheers

Bez__

I'm a long way from Canada, so I can't address the conditions there, but if you can clear anywhere near 40-60k with 30 cows maybe I should consider moving. I'd think you'd be lucky to gross that much.

North,

The first thing you need to do is to write yourself a mission statement ( your goal ) and put together a business plan.
Without those two things you will be a blind man walking in a mine field.
First clearly define your goal.
John

I do have access to equipment such as a post driver. and would put up the fencing myself. I am looking at going minimal at first simple shelter for the cattle. I am lucky as I dictate what days and what hours I want to work so I would have some freedom on that front. I am looking at this more or less to supplement my income and see where it takes me. I would like to be self sufficient as in being able to produce the hay for the winter months myself. 30k would be a good number to walk away with every year. I am looking to start small and grow my heard from maybe 4-5 head at first using AI.

I am not familiar with your area but I can't see how you could walk away with 30K only having 30 cows. It is doubtful that you will get 30 calves out of them and if you did and sold the calves high at $1000/ea, you'll still have overhead expenses to cover such as fuel, feed, fencing, etc.

hoyt79":30f56e8p said:
I am not familiar with your area but I can't see how you could walk away with 30K only having 30 cows. It is doubtful that you will get 30 calves out of them and if you did and sold the calves high at $1000/ea, you'll still have overhead expenses to cover such as fuel, feed, fencing, etc.

My rule of thumb here in Texas is a 1.50 a day to maintain a cow.
Some years a little more some a little less.
That is roughly 550 dollars a year to maintain a cow.
Sell the calf for a 1000 bucks 450 profit, unless I am crazy just don't see
how you can do it cheaper in that environment.
My math works out here that I would need 65 head of momma cows to clear that a year.

Yeah no I am just trying to figure this out and that makes sense completely. I know it would be tough getting started for sure. I would be happy if the animals paid for the land that is my ultimate goal. I don't think 160 acres could support any more cattle then that. It is something I really want to do but might be better off waiting to find a bit more land or land that is at least fenced. I have been going back and forth on the issue.

Welcome to the boards. We all started somewhere. Folks here are shooting straight with you. That's a lot of fence to build.

Other than clearing the amount of money you would like, you may be able to carry 30 cows. How many acres are you able to use for hay? Are the acres of pasture open or wooded?

I'm not sure of how your climate compares to mine, but I have 130 acres tillable and am able to raise enough feed to carry 60 cows and finish out 50 feeders a year. I raise corn for silage and for grain and alfalfa for hay. Cows get corn silage and hay all winter, calves are finished out on corn and protein pellets and corn stalk bales. My pasture is mostly wooded but does have some open areas, but I have around 170 acres of pasture. My cows are on pasture less than 4 months per year as I fall calve and want them all brought home before calving.

So I would think you could carry the cows maybe more if you have enough productive tillable land.

Latest posts