Looking at flat bed trailers which ones are the best for the $$

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Sometime this spring I`m going to have to get a new trailer my old one was a 1984 model and just needed way to much to really make it road worthy so I sold it. I'm looking at 20 + 5 dual tandem nothing fancy just needs to be well built if I keep it as long as the last one I probably won`t ever need to buy another one. I`ve been looking online at Swartz , Gatormade , Bad Boy , Texas Pride and a few others. There looks to be a pretty wide range of prices and quality. Just would like some opinions from some owners of these trailers. The Swartz looks pretty good and probably has the most reasonable price. The heaviest thing I will be hauling would be a T5060 New Holland other than that just 4 X 6 round bales.

I'm not very impressed with the Gator Made ones I've seen, no experience with the others. I've got a Moritz 22+5 and it's been a good trailer, really like the Load Trails I've seen along with some PJ's and Circle D's. Make sure you get the torque tube on a dual tandem, the frame rails are a lot narrower than the single wheels and they are less stable side to side.

i have a P&T. pretty sure they are made in TN. its been a very good trailer to me and it was priced really well.

cfpinz":3hs7sc3v said:
I'm not very impressed with the Gator Made ones I've seen, no experience with the others. I've got a Moritz 22+5 and it's been a good trailer, really like the Load Trails I've seen along with some PJ's and Circle D's. Make sure you get the torque tube on a dual tandem, the frame rails are a lot narrower than the single wheels and they are less stable side to side.
I have an 18 or 20 foot gooseneck PJ with ramps. I've always been surprised and so have those that have borrowed it at how well and easy it pulls.

dun":w2pg9gfx said:
cfpinz":w2pg9gfx said:
I have an 18 or 20 foot gooseneck PJ with ramps. I've always been surprised and so have those that have borrowed it at how well and easy it pulls.

Dad has a 26' PJ, it's got good steel in it but the back end is way to close to the ground. I'd be interested in one of them if it had a hydraulic tail on it.

jedstivers":lm4em79y said:
I have a Big Tex. It's a POS.

What don't you like about the Big Tex? I see some of them around here but never looked at them close.

I had the same problem with the back end of my PJ being to close to the ground. It drug on everything even when left on the pavement. I finally cut the dove tail channel through except for the top flange and jacked the dove tail up until it was level with the bed. Welded up some 1/2" plate across the cut for a splice. None of the wiring, lights or anything else had to be redone. Works a lot better. The ramps were already plenty long.

cfpinz":1ztxih15 said:
Dad has a 26' PJ, it's got good steel in it but the back end is way to close to the ground. I'd be interested in one of them if it had a hydraulic tail on it.
How close it is to the ground is one of the things I like about. I'm sure I told you about the kid I was raised with that had his dad killed when his cat slipped off the flatbed and it was high enough that it rolled over and trapped(crushed) him underneath.
Maybe having the removal ramps rather than the dovetail is a good thing with it

I have a gatormade it is a fine trailer. But the powdercoat is awful have friends it is same way. One thing I would look for is painted instead of powdercoat. Have a another friend with a gooseneck brand it is a very good trailer. See a lot of deltas but don't think they have torque tubs and look taller.

cfpinz":33rtk28t said:
jedstivers":33rtk28t said:

What don't you like about the Big Tex? I see some of them around here but never looked at them close.

I don't know about Jed's Big Tex, but mine is just built to light in the dove tail and ramps. I have both bent up a little already, and I've been trying to be easy with it. I wish it was a 30x5 though, a tractor and baler won't fit together.

T & B Welding in Lockwood MO makes EZ Haul and I believe trailers for others that are sold under different names. A couple of guys around here have bought them and gotten heavy duty trailers with hydraulic doves. They would flat wear out the other brands they used but they use and abuse them daily.

Go Bob sells a nice looking trailer. I don't pay much attention to their products because I'm not needing anything.

I have a Southwest 25' w/dovetail. Had for about 10 yrs now, it's been a good trailer. Whatever you buy, get it longer than you think you need. You will use the extra space more than you think.

HDRider":35zhob3s said:
jedstivers":35zhob3s said:

Do you see Delta down there? Any opinion on them?

If they don't build flats any better than they did horse trailers in the 90's I wouldn't have one of them. Couldn't keep bearings in it (could blame that on the axle supplier I suppose, or bent axles), rusted way too quick, heavy but not due to frequency of floor joists. I'll never own another.

dcarp":2v9zzsuo said:
Whatever you buy, get it longer than you think you need. You will use the extra space more than you think.
That's sure the truth. Just like build your buildings larger than you think you will ever need.

bought a 2016 gatormade 20+5 , 6300lb trailer . they were not easy to deal with after they were paid . had a problem with a hub ( simple fix ) but gatormade pointed to lippert axles and they did the same , wouldn't talk to you on the phone , had to email , weeks to get responses . I ended up paying for the warranty work out of pocket

I think I will mark Gatormade off the list if they can`t even talk to you on the phone when you have a problem I don`t want to deal with them. They seem to have them posted all over Craigslist every where you look. I do think I want one with the torque tube and the pop up between the ramps looks like a good option.

I just looked at those on go bob site they look like real deal. I myself would like to see one in person. And they are even painted not powder coated it appears.

Latest posts