Lookie Lookie at what I found in the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun - you know me well.
Ironically - this set of twins is almost a once in a lifetime happening - and this is the 2nd set this year!! This set of identical twin heifers were an embryo that split. Out of the same flush, I had an exact set of twin heifers from an embryo on January 17. So, I now have 4 identical pedigree heifers. The January calving cow raised both heifers, and one was in our show string. And that dam is bred back to the same flush embryo due 2-2 (only lost 2 weeks). And another cow is also carrying a flush embryo.
This will be a challenge for this cow. She is a little thin going into winter with the two calves to feed.

That cow may need a little help raising them but that`s really good luck getting 2 heifers out of an embryo. I`ve been told Simmentals have a higher chance of twins than some other breeds not sure if it`s true but we had 2 sets last year out of Simmentals One was a first calf heifer and she did a great job and bred right back.

We only have 6 cows due for fall calving. We always keep them separate from the rest of the herd & make sure they have great baleage in front of them at all times, but I don't know if that will be enough for her. She has always been a "fertile myrtle", hence using her for a recip, but if she doesn't breed back timely, we will just shift her to spring calving.
I don't think it is cost effective to grain the 6 cows, but I can put grain in the calf shed for the calves.

Yes, it used to be said that beef cattle had 8% twins and Simmental had 13%. Not sure what % is viable now, but Simmental breed is very fertile. Most embryologists like flushing them. This is the 4 set of twins this year. One set both born dead, 1 set heifer/bull, and the two sets of split embryos.

Latest posts