Looked so good

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
I thought I'd share some..pintos,fried taters,tomatoes pickled squash and of course cornbread ...
image77.jpg

I have trouble looking at a pinto bean. My mama cooked them every night of my life. They came in a 100 pound sack. Said she cooked pinto, because her mother burnt her out on white beans doing the same thing.

jedstivers":4fg8c51e said:
Kingfisher":4fg8c51e said:
Where's the beef? :).
Lot of meals in the south didn't have meat in them.

As a young kid visiting my relatives in Georgia that always shocked me. I thought that everybody ate at 12 and 6 and that every meal had either beef or pork and some kind of potato. I reckon just like us they ate what they had. In the summer we did have other stuff from the garden.

Larry

greybeard":1x0p7ldu said:
jedstivers":1x0p7ldu said:
Kingfisher":1x0p7ldu said:
Where's the beef? :).
Lot of meals in the south didn't have meat in them.

That's what that lard can of old bacon grease was for--to give a dish a meat taste even when ya didn't have any meat.
We still cook with bacon grease, food just ain't the same without it. Especially eggs and beans/peas.

That's what that lard can of old bacon grease was for--to give a dish a meat taste even when ya didn't have any meat.[/quote]
We still cook with bacon grease, food just ain't the same without it. Especially eggs and beans/peas.[/quote]
I fried bacon till the grease comes out and pour it all in a crockpot, cooked all night...like to throw a couple peppers in to but my girl friend didn't want em...

Hook":rsj7y9kj said:
That's a good looking plate, but I'd starve eating just that

Me too, but I think some of these fellers are a little thinner than we are. That's exactly what my doctor wants me to eat.

Larry

Bigfoot":141t299s said:
I have trouble looking at a pinto bean. My mama cooked them every night of my life. They came in a 100 pound sack. Said she cooked pinto, because her mother burnt her out on white beans doing the same thing.

I'm pretty much the same way, BF. Stayed summers with grandparents and they had to cook lots of pintos because they couldn't afford much else. I'd wake to the smell of pintos cooking, then they would then be on the table for lunch and supper. Rinse and repeat everyday. The wife will use some Cajun seasoning in hers and I can eat a small amount that way.

That plate still looks good, Ala.

We ate alot of beans to growing up..along with squirrel and rabbit dumplings. Don't eat like this all the time anymore...so don't get burnt out..