Look before you leap

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle

Reaction score
Been walking the pastures a lot lately tagging and banding new calves. My leases are all old citrus groves with water standing in the furrows. Was walking up on a cow/calf today, went to jump the furrow, but something told me to do a better inspection before jumping. Dang if there wasn't a fat old moccasin laying there eyeballing me. Scared the caca out of me. Our local news has been showing some kind of snake episode just about every night. In fact the other day they discovered a python down in the Glades that had eaten a 6' gator, and then busted open and died. Needless to say it used to be a big snake. What the heck is going on? I've seen some wild game acting strange lately and snakes showing theirselves all over the place which is strange too. Are the critters trying to tell us something?

snakes give me the heebie-jeebies. I'd be scared of what they're trying to say, if that's what they're doing...

D.R. Cattle":pk00gxn9 said:
Are the critters trying to tell us something?

I wonder if it could be called 'Wilma'? I'm very glad you saw it and didn't get bit. Snakes are not my favorite thing, but I'll take them over spiders any day!

Have a den of bull snakes on the place that are all over in the spring but shy away the rest of the warm months.
Had a experience with a mocassin along time ago, but that is another story that has to do with frog gigging.

D.R and SD, do hope you killed them snakes. All snakes should be killed.
They x-rayed one of those pythons in Fl. and it had swallowed a cat. Showed film of one trying to catch a chicken. They said people had them for 'pets' and turned them loose when they got big.

The only thing I have seen that I felt was "Strange" besides the neighbors down in the Holler, was late yesterday we had 2 huge Bucks come out of the woods, right before dark less than 100 yards from the house and have a battle with each other, there was a smaller Buck spectating at the big dominant ones fighting.We were still driving posts when this happened. Real unusual to get to see them at it first hand. Back to the neighbors... they were out of smokes, and wanted a ride to town. They were in a ditch smoking some old Prince Albert, rolled in newspaper. :shock:

yeah i saw the python and gator on the news. pretty cool. but also stinks b/c its not a native species.

The problem with snakes down here is most are looking for dry land. We are so wet they keep moving on up. My dad had two moccasins on the back porch and one at the front door so far this year. I have to be careful when stepping outside at night. Usually the moccasins stay in the swampy areas but since it is wet everywhere, we see them in places we never have before.

Maybe they will run the snowbirds off. :lol:

Crowderfarms":39zg2w2s said:
The only thing I have seen that I felt was "Strange" besides the neighbors down in the Holler, was late yesterday we had 2 huge Bucks come out of the woods, right before dark less than 100 yards from the house and have a battle with each other, there was a smaller Buck spectating at the big dominant ones fighting.We were still driving posts when this happened. Real unusual to get to see them at it first hand. Back to the neighbors... they were out of smokes, and wanted a ride to town. They were in a ditch smoking some old Prince Albert, rolled in newspaper. :shock:

Wierd things with deer here also. I saw an old swamp deer the other day with an 8 point hat on. He was real dark and scraggly, and in a place where a wary buck should not be. I rode right up on him in a crew cab black diesel truck and he never even knew I was there. Something strange happening with the critters.

I can see down your way, that maybe when the pressure drops, critters could act strange.Fall is in the air here, and the actions of the Deer can be explained by Testosterone, and the pre-Rut. They usually dont appear in the wide open to fight, with spectators watching.

You've made me feel better about winter coming up here. At least I don't have to deal with snakes or alligators. I'll take the freezing temperatures reptiles aren't too fond of them.

I understand why some fear the venomous snakes in the area, but care must be taken to try and leave them in peace.

Few realize how important they are at controlling the rodent population and what a large role they play in the entire ecosystem.

Responsible ranchers understand the need to try and preserve natural habitat, or at least allow room and respect for native species to continue to flourish despite how we choose to make our living.

Sheri":1g7txhrv said:
I understand why some fear the venomous snakes in the area, but care must be taken to try and leave them in peace.

Few realize how important they are at controlling the rodent population and what a large role they play in the entire ecosystem.

Responsible ranchers understand the need to try and preserve natural habitat, or at least allow room and respect for native species to continue to flourish despite how we choose to make our living.

I will not kill a bullsnake or any other kind of non-venomous snake unless he pushes the issue (which very few do), but I will kill a rattlesnake or any other kind of venomous snake in a heartbeat if I have the means to do it!

Ok, I understand why some of us hate the rattlers. I do.

But if you appreciate what the non-venomous snakes do to control the rodent population... you must understand what the rattlers do... there are many species of rattler in the US, and 3 in Canada. If you were to subtract them from the population you would see a massive increase in the number of rodents - with the hanta virus, many are appreciating rodent control even more than previously.

If you find a rattler on your property, place it in a plastic bucket and remove it. There are also rattler rescuers in every state that can be called.

Here is a link:
http://www.anapsid.org/societies/venomo ... ators.html

There is no reason why we can't try and respect the same ecosystem that provides for us, in terms of economic longevity, it makes sense to do so.

I prefer a rattlesnake any day over the corporate cattle cartel.

msscamp":3j1t17w2 said:
I will not kill a bullsnake or any other kind of non-venomous snake unless he pushes the issue (which very few do), but I will kill a rattlesnake or any other kind of venomous snake in a heartbeat if I have the means to do it!

Sheri":fhieegyy said:
If you find a rattler on your property, place it in a plastic bucket and remove it. There are also rattler rescuers in every state that can be called.
msscamp":fhieegyy said:

Right, I'm going to try to catch a venomous snake that has the potential of killing me with a plastic bucket. And then what? Ship it to you? What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?

If you invest in some snake tongs, as seen here:
http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=10
they are easy to manipulate. Just practise a little with the gophers, bulls, corns and kings you find around first.

They are not vicious animals just waiting to kill you. It takes considerable resources to create that venom, they prefer to use it on something they can eat, rather than on defense.
(Which is why some estimate roughly 20% of bites are dry.)

And there is always the snake relocation option as well.

Clearly, I don't expect many in our line of work to give the matter the same consdieration I do, but I figure its worth the attempt. Stranger things have happened. :)

Ryder, I'm not going to go as far as to say all snakes need killing, because I don't think that's true. Bullsnakes, garter snakes, garden snakes, etc do us a whole lot of good. I'm thinking it's the full moon tonight.

Latest posts