Look before you leap

Help Support CattleToday:

If you live in a area that has these dangerous snakes you will get a differant opinion. When you see your kids running arcoss yards you will understand why we kill em. A rattle snake, cottonmouth, or copperhead in my yard is dead. I havn't saw a corral snake yet but it would be dead also. A blackracer in my garage is also dead.

Grew up on the desert and learned at an early age to identify snakes, had numerous pet bull snakes...lots of bull snakes=few rattlers. I also will kill a rattler every chance that I get...more rats for our owls.
Dmc

Sheri":1enl0buv said:
I understand why some fear the venomous snakes in the area, but care must be taken to try and leave them in peace.

Few realize how important they are at controlling the rodent population and what a large role they play in the entire ecosystem.

Responsible ranchers understand the need to try and preserve natural habitat, or at least allow room and respect for native species to continue to flourish despite how we choose to make our living.
Does PETA have a NEW snake division :?:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1m77ypx3 said:
Does PETA have a NEW snake division :?:

No, I would never endorse PETA. There is absolutely no reason why common sense need be considered extremist as such organizations are.

Again, I'm not promoting placing wayward rattlers in the house for a little excitement when Survivor is a re-run.

If I were to let a poisonous snake go it's merry way and escape a bite chances are next time or the time after I might not be so lucky. That is why the only good poisonous snake is a dead one. ;-)

msscamp":2jzyjc3i said:
Sheri":2jzyjc3i said:
If you find a rattler on your property, place it in a plastic bucket and remove it. There are also rattler rescuers in every state that can be called.
msscamp":2jzyjc3i said:
I will not kill a bullsnake or any other kind of non-venomous snake unless he pushes the issue (which very few do), but I will kill a rattlesnake or any other kind of venomous snake in a heartbeat if I have the means to do it!

Right, I'm going to try to catch a venomous snake that has the potential of killing me with a plastic bucket. And then what? Ship it to you? What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?

Be sendin those rattlers ta me ms - I love em! I be havin one for supper any chance I get!!!!!!!!

Rookie":1vgw3lxb said:
msscamp":1vgw3lxb said:
Sheri":1vgw3lxb said:
If you find a rattler on your property, place it in a plastic bucket and remove it. There are also rattler rescuers in every state that can be called.
msscamp":1vgw3lxb said:
I will not kill a bullsnake or any other kind of non-venomous snake unless he pushes the issue (which very few do), but I will kill a rattlesnake or any other kind of venomous snake in a heartbeat if I have the means to do it!

Right, I'm going to try to catch a venomous snake that has the potential of killing me with a plastic bucket. And then what? Ship it to you? What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?

Be sendin those rattlers ta me ms - I love em! I be havin one for supper any chance I get!!!!!!!!

:lol2: :lol2: The next time I try this I'll remember that Rookie! ;-)

Sheri":1fbk2inr said:
If you invest in some snake tongs, as seen here:
http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=10
they are easy to manipulate. Just practise a little with the gophers, bulls, corns and kings you find around first.

They are not vicious animals just waiting to kill you. It takes considerable resources to create that venom, they prefer to use it on something they can eat, rather than on defense.
(Which is why some estimate roughly 20% of bites are dry.)

And there is always the snake relocation option as well.

Clearly, I don't expect many in our line of work to give the matter the same consdieration I do, but I figure its worth the attempt. Stranger things have happened. :)

You fell and hit your head how long is recovery expected to take. If you lived in country loaded with Timber rattlers you would have a different opinon. The state of Texas says the are endangered you bet your ass they are around here.

Campground CattleYou fell and hit your head how long is recovery expected to take. If you lived in country loaded with Timber rattlers you would have a different opinon. The state of Texas says the are endangered you bet your ass they are around here.[/quote said:
No there is a man after my own heart. :clap: :clap:

You know... if it turns out that rattlervenom can prevent BSE... the irony gods will be pleased.

Sheri":1h3v054g said:

Um Sherry, no direspect, but I agree with Bama. In Louisiana there are so many snakes that you sometimes have to shoot first and ask questions later. I normally let the king snakes live, because they eat rodents and OTHER SNAKES, but that's it.

With kids running around in the yard, and a large lake nearby, any snake will be dead.

Spent the night when I was 14 in a hospital because of a copperhead. I actually put my foot in a boot to cut some firewood, and he was in the boot. Now, I know, he had no choice but to defend himself because he was in my boot and couldn't escape. Well I had no choice but to kill him.

Sherry, I have nothing against conservationists, but I can't see how Canada could have close to the same amount of snakes as down here. Catch a rattler, or moccasin??? Have you ever caught a moccasin? This summer my next door neighbor killed a 6 foot long moccasin. Mocassin's do have hurting people, and anything else on their mind. I've seen a moccasin come at a person, even though he had an escape route. Can you imagine a 6 foot long deadly poisonous snake chasing after a kid? Yeah a rattler can forewarn you with the rattles, but a moccasin shold be dead in my book.

No, not near as many in Canada at all.

Though yes, I have seen them, up close. Went looking for them, they are sort of my hobby.

Now, I can understand fearing for the safety of your kids - I have 2 young boys.

Just try and remember that there is a removal service available to you, and that education is the key.

Oh, this isn't going to help much, but many rattlers do not actually rattle in warning, so not a reliable indicator at all like some believe.

Some species are more prone to rattling than others.

Sheri":2sr21vky said:
Just try and remember that there is a removal service available to you, and that education is the key.
Around here we are our own removal service. Run over them with a vehicle or chop their heads off with a shovel and remove it to the ditch alongside of road.

Latest posts