Longustein cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I can show you some in about eight months-one of my Longhorn bulls visited the neighbor's Holstein heifers. He says he wants to see what they'll look like.

Rustler9":2ngjgkey said:
I can show you some in about eight months-one of my Longhorn bulls visited the neighbor's Holstein heifers. He says he wants to see what they'll look like.
ive got a mental picture going on right now.

I don't know-I'm going to wait and see what they look like. These are first calf heifers-at least they won't have calving problems. Who knows? They might be decent calves to eat or if they're heifers maybe be good to put some other breed of bull on to raise a calf. They'll probably be black-we all know that's the most important thinh, right? :lol:

Rustler9":aev3o5sv said:
I don't know-I'm going to wait and see what they look like. These are first calf heifers-at least they won't have calving problems. Who knows? They might be decent calves to eat or if they're heifers maybe be good to put some other breed of bull on to raise a calf. They'll probably be black-we all know that's the most important thinh, right? :lol:
well that all depends if you want too make money are not..

I have owned Longhorn x Holstein cross heifers. This was a long time ago (25 years or so.) A relative with a Holstein dairy bred his first calf heifers to a longhorn bull. I got them when they were a couple of days old. They were attractive calves, mostly white with traditional longhorn markings ( dark edged ears, dark around the nose, dark legs, and spotty on the body).
They ended up with an average frame, hatchet-assed, no meat (muscling), and ugly. I didn't keep them. They didn't bring anything either.

The relative didn't repeat the cross because no one wanted the offspring.

After saying this, please remember that I do like longhorns... especially Ryan's.

I also had a Longhorn Watussi x Jersey oops calf. A neighbor had a longhorn watussi bull that roamed the country side. He jumped into our pasture when one of our Jersey cows was in heat. The calf was born with huge horn buds - about 1/2 long. I didn't keep her very long. She was as silly as they come.

maybe I should clarify ...

a while back someone posted a photoshop pic of a few different breeds mashed together ... and I think they jokingly called it a longustein or something to that effect, and the original poster had something like "World's only breeders of longusteins" in his/her signature.

But I cant remember who the OP was and its driving me nuts ...

LOL! Now that is a cow of a different color.
grin.gif

holsanghorn.JPG

Latest posts