Longshot

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a longshot but I'm putting out feelers everywhere I can. Is anybody heading to the fire relief in the panhandle and Kansas anytime soon and if so would you have room for a horse? I'm trying to donate a ranch horse to a rancher that lost everything (if you know of anyone specific with true need we're in the beginning phases of finding her a home and don't have that pinned down yet) and if she could hitch a ride with someone already heading that way it would help me tremendously.

Well nevermind. I was thinking that it was a long drive to make for just one horse but since I posted this another local rancher has matched me with a second horse and now my living room is starting to fill with household items people are bringing by. Another family has said they're going on a shopping spree at the co-op so instead of weaseling out of a half load I might be making a couple of trips. :nod: God is good.

Jogeephus":298t7f7w said:
This is awful good of you. Proud to know you.
It's all an elaborate ploy. One of these days I might need character witnesses and on that day I will need some folks to lie their asses off on my behalf. I'm not helping others, I'm building leverage. ;-)

A while back there was a article in the furrow about the early blizzard that killed most of the cows in some areas of the Midwest. Several people donated heifers to those that lost whole herds. To be completely honest that read brought tears to my eyes. Good on you for remounting someone. I lost most everything to my name in a fire several years ago. It was very humbling can't imagine the whole farm.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
cow pollinater":2u3ah8tp said:
Jogeephus":2u3ah8tp said:
It's all an elaborate ploy. One of these days I might need character witnesses and on that day I will need some folks to lie their asses off on my behalf. I'm not helping others, I'm building leverage. ;-)
:D :D :D :D

It is AWESOME to know that country people still stick together and help one another. This past weekend 200 +- round bales and 2 trailer loads of T-post and fencing materials went to the Texas panhandle, just from San Saba county Texas.

john250":3q36cwfl said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
cow pollinater":3q36cwfl said:
Jogeephus":3q36cwfl said:
:D :D :D :D

I concur. That's why I always wave at people I pass on the road because you just never know who'll be sitting on your jury.

We found her a home earlier today and I think most of the supplies will go to the same area if not the same ranch. It is humbling to speak to someone who has lost 3/4 of his cattle, all of his using age horses, his home, his shop, pretty much everything but the clothes on his back and yet all he can talk about between coughs from all the smoke in his lungs is how blessed he is to have people wanting to help. His biggest worry is that we're going to drive all that way and he can't feed us or put us up for the night as if we'd expect that. I'm struggling with wondering how I'm going to drive over there and hand him a horse and drive away knowing HE doesn't have a place to sleep and yet he's worried about me.

cow pollinater":197f30n2 said:
We found her a home earlier today and I think most of the supplies will go to the same area if not the same ranch. It is humbling to speak to someone who has lost 3/4 of his cattle, all of his using age horses, his home, his shop, pretty much everything but the clothes on his back and yet all he can talk about between coughs from all the smoke in his lungs is how blessed he is to have people wanting to help. His biggest worry is that we're going to drive all that way and he can't feed us or put us up for the night as if we'd expect that. I'm struggling with wondering how I'm going to drive over there and hand him a horse and drive away knowing HE doesn't have a place to sleep and yet he's worried about me.

I know that feeling well. In 2014 and again in 2015 I took a pickup load of fence supplies to two different ranchers in the Okanogan. Both times it was tough to drive away when I felt like I should stay and help somehow. I did go back a few months later. And our group has been back five times now. We are going back once again the first week in April. When I left for home after the first trip I drove past a state park 50 some miles south of the burn area. The park was full of campers. I remember thinking that a few years from now they won't remember what they did on their spring vacation but I will remember what I did for the rest of my life. It is pretty addictive. You build relationships. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you don't find yourself back there helping in the future.

Can you use money donations for them, in lieu of supplies, or is there a group that you specifically know of that someone can donate to so that the money will get used in the most needy place? I have seen several groups advertising for help, and I am in a position to make small contribution but not to take a trip to help. Someone that is healthier and more mobile than I am right now would do more good than I could.

farmerjan":23zb8wgf said:
Can you use money donations for them, in lieu of supplies, or is there a group that you specifically know of that someone can donate to so that the money will get used in the most needy place? I have seen several groups advertising for help, and I am in a position to make small contribution but not to take a trip to help. Someone that is healthier and more mobile than I am right now would do more good than I could.
Thank you so much for the offer to help. I'm not handling any cash donations but the state cattlemens associations in all four affected states are taking donations. I know that at least the Oklahoma association has a cash donation link on their website. From what I'm hearing Kansas is really the worst of it and that's where this mare is headed. If you want to send it directly to a rancher in need I can get you an address later this week for the specific family I'm helping and there is not a doubt in my mind that he'd take that money and find someone else that needed it and help them instead of himself.

Another local rancher just matched me a few minutes ago with a second ranch horse to go to the same ranch I'm donating mine to. I'm going to try to pick her up a few days in advance to get all the squealing mare stuff sorted out so they're ready to go to work when they step off the trailer.

littletom":2q6rx8ks said:
A while back there was a article in the furrow about the early blizzard that killed most of the cows in some areas of the Midwest. Several people donated heifers to those that lost whole herds. To be completely honest that read brought tears to my eyes. Good on you for remounting someone. I lost most everything to my name in a fire several years ago. It was very humbling can't imagine the whole farm.

A group of us here in VA sent heifers out to SD after that blizzard, can't remember the total number but it was a sight to see.

cow pollinater":3iekblez said:
If you want to send it directly to a rancher in need I can get you an address later this week for the specific family I'm helping and there is not a doubt in my mind that he'd take that money and find someone else that needed it and help them instead of himself.

Please PM me the family's name/address when you get a chance.

Thanks.

cow pollinater":1wwm8g3r said:

if everyone could be like that rancher.. the world would be a perfect place.

Latest posts