Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
What breed of bull would you all use on longhorn cows to beef up the calves. The final output being freezer beef.

warpaint":7h6zllry said:
Char. bulls seem to be the consensus.
They really put weight but still have the calving ease of the longhorn. They gain weight quickly.

the your answer is probably correct, but i wouldnt associate Charolais with calving ease.

Aero":2zsd0d9j said:
warpaint":2zsd0d9j said:
Char. bulls seem to be the consensus.
They really put weight but still have the calving ease of the longhorn. They gain weight quickly.

the your answer is probably correct, but i wouldnt associate Charolais with calving ease.

The calving ease comes from the longhorn. Lot smaller at birth than most breeds, even X with Char.

Charolais will knock the spots off most of the calves, add a little more shape and muscle to them. Use a polled bull and you can eliminate a lot of the horns. If you will be selling the calves, get them off the cows at around 350 lbs. The Longhorn look will not be showing much at that size.

Couple of pictures of some cows that I've bred to a longhorn bull.
1048_1024.ts1141599878000.jpg
503_1024.ts1082846834278.jpg

Does anybody have a pic of a Highland x Brahman. I don't think God would allow it.

Not sure how much Brahman that cow has, have thought that she is at least 1/2. I have another from the same ranch that is brindle in color, looks a lot like an F-1.
Take a look at my photo site: http://www.bbenham.photosite.com
We've got a small mixed herd, and we are trying to hang on here with the drought. People are asking 70 dollars, with a straight face, for round bales of old hay that isn't worth 15.
Later,
Buck

Nice photos-you've got a little white Brahman heifer with a couple of red spots on her that I like. I keep saying I'm going to buy myself a Brahman heifer to put out there with all of my Longhorns. I hope you'll be able to hold on to your cattle-maybe the rain will start soon. :)

Latest posts