Longhorns vs jersey steers

Help Support CattleToday:

matkinfarms

Reaction score
I have small average and was wondering which would get me the most money. I have a chance to buy jersey steers at 450 a head averaging 400 pounds a piece. Or 2 longhorn bull calves and a heifer at 600 a head. Which way should I go?

In my opinion, that longhorn heifer will makes you money than jersey/longhorn steers if you are planning to breed her to a beef bull and gives you a marketable calf. I just doesn't think that longhorn/jersey steers will makes you money very much and both are slow to finished for beef.

What weight are the longhorn calves? Those Jersey's are cheap enough with prices around my area but they sure grow slow. We raise 10-12 or so every year and sell them ready to butcher.

Not sure how much the longhorn calves are weight wise. They are 6 months old. Also I found some longhorn heifers that are breeding ready for 750 a piece?

matkinfarms":3am6px7e said:
Not sure how much the longhorn calves are weight wise. They are 6 months old. Also I found some longhorn heifers that are breeding ready for 750 a piece?
Where are you located? You can buy heavy bred longhorn cows here for under 1000$, that would beat a ready to breed heifer at 750$. Location is everything to this but those 400lb jerseys are 1.50$ calves here so 450$ is cheap if there good. 6 month old longhorn bulls at 600$ is a good price also if there normal size for there age. Should weigh 450lbs or close to that, here they would bring 1.70$ or 765$ at 450lbs.

Latest posts