Longhorns Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

LonghornRanch

Reaction score
Longhorn Breeders have been blessed with cattle with very long and productive lives. How long do you keep your Longhorn cows? What age do you stop breeding them? How old is too old?

I am always thinking about the 29 year old Longhorn that had 28 calves.

A 16 year Longhorn cows starts to look a little rough in the frame after dropping 15 calves. I have noticed weight lost on the old cows as well. (no matter how much you feed them)

Do you limit how old a cows is before you will buy her? The guys that buy 18 year old cows to breed at Longhorn auctions blow my mind!

How do you guys manage age decline in your breeding programs?

If you'll look back at my earlier post "Who's my Mama?" you'll see my oldest cow, no.3. She's 13 and has produced 3 heifers in a row.

As long as she is holding her weight and carrying a good calf, I'll keep her. There's another, thats 12, and she's kinda part of the family, so I guess she'll have a place till she dies. (A favorite of the wife's). ;-)

A good friend has some that are pushing 20 and still breed ever season and he keeps them around.

While, you are not as likely to bring what a younger cow will at a sale, as long as she has produced for you, she more than likely has paid for herself many times over.

We have a cow that will be 19 on Feb. 13. She currently has a very nice heifer that's four months old on her and is bred back. She doesn't quite have the figure of a two year old any more but no one guesses her to be almost 19 either. We currently have another daughter of hers in the herd as well as a great trophy steer and a bull that's serving as one of our herd sires. I see no reason to send her off. I love the fact that we have several older teenage cows in our herds and they are still going strong.

Just thought I would say hello. I have been on this forum for 2 years now, and just last week purchased my first set of calves. I bought 21 16 month-2.5 year old heifers at the B & C sale in Brookfield Missouri. To be honest with you I have no idea of the quality of longhorns I purchased, but I cannot wait to see what they grow up to become. Some are open, some bred.....

Price was $475.00 to $650.00 apiece.

KANSAS":st07burj said:
Just thought I would say hello. I have been on this forum for 2 years now, and just last week purchased my first set of calves. I bought 21 16 month-2.5 year old heifers at the B & C sale in Brookfield Missouri. To be honest with you I have no idea of the quality of longhorns I purchased, but I cannot wait to see what they grow up to become. Some are open, some bred.....

Good Luck! Hope they turn out well for you.

As for the original question...
Personally, If I own the cow I will breed her until she fails to annually produce a live, healthy, quality calf. If she begins to slip in her reproduction then I would ship her. The ranch I work for currently has a 21 year old cow that produces, although it is probably closer to a 14-15month interval, but she has a place here forever as she is one of the bosses favorite old cows. In regards to purchasing, it all depends on the cow, previous owner, and price. I would stop around 10 years old myself, but I did try to buy a 12 year old cow this spring that i knew the breeder and the care that she had been under her entire life, and the reason for selling was drought...however she went out of my price range. Now that is not to say that if i found an even older cow, bred or in good shape, for the right price I wouldnt buy her. Mostly depends on each cow, what you know about them, and $$$.

KANSAS":1ea5a4ly said:

Based on our info and research, our opinion is that the vast majority of these regional sales (private or association held) sell Longhorns at much lower price than what you would pay at the ranch's. Of course, there are the top 5% with HORN that sell for appropriate $$. With the "average" price per lot on the other 95%, they are often selling for Sale Barn and/or Sale Barn X2 prices. If the B&C sale cattle were NOT registered, prices about right, but little low. If the B&C cattle WERE registered, you probably got a good deal!

These "Sales" are generally a buyers (not seller's) market. Even if you have to feed hay, etc., to a good Longhorn, you are money ahead keeping it another year or two and selling at Private Treaty (your ranch's) prices.

Hello Kansas,
I was at the B&C sale last week. I bought a 12 year old King daughter for $600.00. Couldn't pass her up. Also, bought a two year old Impact's Rear Admiral daughter for next to nothing. I believe she'll do good. She's one of Joe Valentine's cows. Has close to 50" of horn at two. It was definitely a buyers market there last week. I could of bought alot more but just didn't need them. Good luck with your purchases.

They were all registered. Trying to figure out who to talk to regarding the quality. I missed out on one heifer I really wanted, but it was early in the sale and I was a bit apprehensive about buying cattle for the first time. I have the grass and hay to carry em so that should not be a problem, plus I cannot wait to see the babies when they finally come.

The thing I liked about it was I have heifers from 13 different ranches, with many bred to bulls, two AI'd. One AI'd to measles super ranger, and the other I cant remember. Wanted to get some bred to Jamakizm, but it didnt work out. Also wanted to wait until the Hudson longhorns sold( they looked great), but I had already spent my budget by the time they came around.

Latest posts