Longhorn???

Help Support CattleToday:

bo96319

Reaction score
I got this cow from a friend, he picked her up a year ago at barn, was the only calf on the trailer of papered longhorns. For some reason was picked out and sold with some other calfs, I don't know if she is pure or cross, either way what do you all think...good looking cow?
I like her, want to breed her (with longhorn)
DSC01170.JPG

DSC01169.JPG

DSC01168.JPG

She is about 16 or 17 months old. Real nice, just a bit shy but will come up and smell me and once in a while let me pet her. I need to fine someone with a squeez that will tip over so I can have her hooves cliped, she is starting to click when she walks. I need to talk to friends and see if anyone here knows how to do this and have them show me so I can do it from now on. I have an old squeez but not sure if I can safely cut hooves in it.

If her feet are that bad, you may want to get a vet to give her a sedative so you can work on her. I can't really tell from the pics, but the feet do appear to be turning up in one of them.

She looks pure or pretty close to it to me, as well. Nice lookin color, probably just the angle but looks like she has a large head.
here is another link to breeders in your area. Just put in your zip code and you should be able to find some close to you.
http://www.longhornroundup.com/longhornlocator.aspx

I think if you bred her to a good longhorn bull, you could have a nice lookin calf. Were you planning on taking her somewhere for natural service or getting her A.I.'ed?

Ryan

She looks to be a purebred Longhorn. I wouold think that if she came from a bunch of papered cattle she is probably the offspring of on of them. Too bad you can't get the breeding information on her and get her registered.

She looks like a Longhorn to me also. As far as her feet, if they are so bad that you need to trim them, I would be taking her to the sale and trading her for something with a little less maintenance.

TXBobcat":vii9ktq2 said:
She looks like a Longhorn to me also. As far as her feet, if they are so bad that you need to trim them, I would be taking her to the sale and trading her for something with a little less maintenance.

I think that shipping her immediately might be a little drastic. Younger animals that are in smaller lots and on feed, and not out in the pasture will need their hooves trimmed sometimes. Our show animals need their hooves trimmed during their show career, but once out to pasture we have no problems. However, if she continues to have problems, besides the hooves growing, in the future I think that shipping her would be the proper thing to do.

Ryan":345llu47 said:
Our show animals need their hooves trimmed during their show career, but once out to pasture we have no problems.

I agree. A show animal would probably require more attention, but if I had to constantly trim hooves on pasture cattle, I would ship them.

You can see that back hoof sticking up in the side view. Around us there is a local guy that will come out with a hydrolic tip chute and do them, works real nice, not to expensive but you can do it yourself as well in the chute.

Latest posts