Longhorn X Hereford Cross ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I not going to tell you cows are crap or not that's your call.
If you want to stay in this biz, its about maximaxing profits.
You are not going to do that with a longhorn base commercial operation running a terminal bull no matter what breed.

You guys are cracking me up!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caustic, I think "hatchet assed longhorn crossbred calves" is about as close to calling something crap as can be.

You are right, though, about maximizing profits, but it's a big world and if everyone raised the same thing, tape wouldn't have anything to say.

Caustic Burno":11rtt348 said:
If you want to stay in this biz, its about maximaxing profits.
You are not going to do that with a longhorn base commercial operation running a terminal bull no matter what breed.
If not for the cattle bringing thre low end, then the higher priced cattle would probaly be bringing $.10 less, because there would be just that many less quality calves on the market. Get rid of the junk and watch the market slide 10 cents.

I have made a lot of mistakes in the cattle biz and will probablly make a lot more. Hey longhorns have there place, its just not going to profitable as running today's beef cattle. I love bramers can't stand a 30 cent a pound hit at the salebarn.

I've though about it. I decide that if i owned the most forsaken piece of cattle country in the beautiful west and calved outside unassisted and had water about every ten miles with 7 sticks of grass in between water holes i would run longhorn or corrientes crossed with a smaller framed hereford or angus (range raised). Other than an envirmental tool or a novelty it is hard to economically justify them. They have a rough time competing pound for pound. There history is great and they still have a niche, but they arent mainstream anymore.

As far as comparing them to breeds that have high calving losses that is just flat poor management. If you have high calving losses you did something wrong. Whether it was buying a POS bull that throughs 130 lb calves and breeding it to your heifers. put the pencil to it if you save 1 more calf out of a hundred but lose 50 lbs each on all 100 you probably would be better off with the 99 heavier calves. just my 2 cents

magpie":ej0a8me8 said:
wanting info, past or present about salorn cattle

anybody have experience with them??

thanks

magpie

They were starting to become popular in the 90's, before the horn craze started. Now them, along with Gel-Tex and ALL cattle have pretty much disappeared. I haven't heard anything about any of those three longhorn based composites in Years.

If you look at how much lower price longhorn calves will bring in the sale ring versus how much less longhorn cows eat you will offset that price difference. I feed my longhorn cows bluegrass straw and nothing else, I can buy it for $35/ton. I longhorn cross calves and wean 500 to 600 pound calves. I pay very little for my pasture since it's not very good grass and it's rough. They can't find anyone else that want to run cows on it.

Bobg

Alot of these Longhorn cross calves run through the sale barn and sell for every bit as much as other crossbred beef calves without the buyer evr knowing the difference. That's what folks just don't or won't seem to understand. As I've said plenty of times before-breed the Longhorn cows to a Charolais bull and get big cream colored calves. They grade as good as any other calf. Breed the Longhorn cows to a black bull and run the risk of getting spots-the calves are still great calves but that's where the buyers can jump at the chance to screw you-all because they can. It's amazing what the small framed Longhorn cow can do when bred to one of these beef bulls. I think that most people are too biased to try them.

i understand about the f-1 crosses

what about a 5/8 and 3/8 blend?

that blend "if" i am understanding correctly, is achieved in the 4th generation?

would not the traits that you are selecting for, be more consistant from that 4th generation on??

thanks

magpie

Breed the Longhorn cows to a black bull and run the risk of getting spots.

I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't a Homozygous black bull always throw solid black calves, since Black is a dominant color?

Ryan":1e318b8v said:

I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't a Homozygous black bull always throw solid black calves, since Black is a dominant color?

I thought that is what Homozygous was to, Like in the simmys
throws black calves. Maybe dun will chime in and tell us. JHH

homozygous black means that there will be black on the pigmented aka "colored hair" of the offspring,

meaning that if there are any "white markings" those white markings, will still show up and drive the commercial cattleman crazy

white will still be white aka ""non-pigmented""

could be a baldie, or a black and white lineback, or black with white spots, as well as the solid blacks.

but the main colored base of the animal, is black.....

-------

commerical cattlemen hate that 25%(?).... (my guesstimation, not david hillis,, so don't blame him, if i screwed up on this part)

....chance in each mating that the non-pigmentations will show up and gasp! ruin their lovely black hides. :shock: even tho nobody eats those hides... :eek:

but according to david hillis, it is possible to breed out the non-pigmentation (white) markings, it just takes time and culling.

and there are breeders out there in the past, and the present who have, and are doing so today, among the different breeds, not just the longhorns.

the trick is to find them, if that is your interest.

------------------
this is assuming i have understood most of what i have read correctly, that is.... :roll:

(but i am only a blonde, and female at that, and am sure i messed up somewhere! roflol and that somewhere is in the percentage)
----------------

'double helix ranch' website is the place to go, for detailed color info, david hillis had made a lifetime study of this.

http://home.austin.rr.com/doublehelix/color.html

JHH":2si43ba0 said:
Ryan":2si43ba0 said:

magpie's answer is pretty long so i'm quoting this instead of hers, but she's correct. the spotting gene is a separate gene.

magpie":3oepcu63 said:
homozygous black means that there will be black on the pigmented aka "colored hair" of the offspring,

meaning that if there are any "white markings" those white markings, will still show up and drive the commercial cattleman crazy

white will still be white aka ""non-pigmented""

could be a baldie, or a black and white lineback, or black with white spots, as well as the solid blacks.

but the main colored base of the animal, is black.....

-------

commerical cattlemen hate that 25%(?).... (my guesstimation, not david hillis,, so don't blame him, if i screwed up on this part)

....chance in each mating that the non-pigmentations will show up and gasp! ruin their lovely black hides. :shock: even tho nobody eats those hides... :eek:

but according to david hillis, it is possible to breed out the non-pigmentation (white) markings, it just takes time and culling.

and there are breeders out there in the past, and the present who have, and are doing so today, among the different breeds, not just the longhorns.

the trick is to find them, if that is your interest.

------------------
this is assuming i have understood most of what i have read correctly, that is.... :roll:

(but i am only a blonde, and female at that, and am sure i messed up somewhere! roflol and that somewhere is in the percentage)
----------------

'double helix ranch' website is the place to go, for detailed color info, david hillis had made a lifetime study of this.

http://home.austin.rr.com/doublehelix/color.html

OK I think I get it. Thanks for clearing that up for us.Thanks to you to txag.

txag":2dg61fr1 said:
JHH":2dg61fr1 said:
Ryan":2dg61fr1 said:

magpie's answer is pretty long so i'm quoting this instead of hers, but she's correct. the spotting gene is a separate gene.

Thanks

I think the ideal thing is to breed your heifer, for her first calf, to a longhorn bull. That makes the low birth weight calf, which causes fewer problems with the birth of the calf. I don't know how it would work to breed a longhorn heifer to a high birth weight producing bull. Might cause some problems.
837_1024.ts1069822146000.jpg
558_1024.ts1030977641235.jpg

Latest posts