Longhorn X Commercial

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
If longhorns with alot of color are crossed with a black commercial crossbreed bull, what kind of cow would I get.

kaneranch":3ba66csw said:
If longhorns with alot of color are crossed with a black commercial crossbreed bull, what kind of cow would I get.

I think it would depend on the genetic makeup of the crossbred bull. But I've seen solid black cows, after three generations of Angus bulls on Longhorn X cattle, produce some spotted calves. Those spots are sort of like the white face on Herefords; they sometimes keep showing up, generation after generation.

if you have a purebred black angus bull, the vast majority of the calves will be pure black, there will be a few black calves with a white strip on their back and a few spotted ones. there will be a few with horns and a few will be light boned, but most will be polled and good angus body make. with the angus bull, you wont have any calving problems. if you breed them to a charlois the calves will also be consistent and they will grow bigger than the angus----both the angus and the charlois will bring about the same amount per pound at the same weight out of the longhorn cows.

Mostly black, mostly polled-use a Charolais for yellow calves. Sometimes the white spots will come through the yellow but really don't look any different form any other Charolais cross.

Latest posts