Longhorn X Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe that Longhorn X Brahma = something referred to as a "Plummer" and that most commonly the mating is rodeo industry oriented. But resulting heifers might be O.K. to use in the hot/humid part of the country, to be bred to Angus or some other "meat" breed of cattle for a terminal cross, especially if you can get them real cheaply.

My neighbor has a Longhorn/Brahman cross heifer. She is ugly but meatier than a regular Longhorn. I would love for my Angus bull to tag that heifer and see what comes out.

Speaking of weird crosses..one of the best milking / disposition / calving heifer we had years ago when we still had a commercial herd was a Longhorn Jersey cross. She was deep red / brown with that lovely white stripe down her back. She had a great calf bred to a Continental breed bull.

About 5 or 6 months ago somebody posted a picture of a Plummer on the CattleToday Classifieds board -- as I recall it was a two year old, mostly white, heifer named "Crickett" and she really wasn't a bad looking cow.

When I was a kid growing up in a very blue collar family the only beef we ate was grass fed farm raised, with not even a 30 day "finishing" . My dad's best cow easily was a 50/50 Brahma/Jersey cross, which was always bred to a polled Hereford bull. The cow was more than a little ornery in a pen and not particularly friendly in the pasture, but she sure could raise a helluva calf each and every year in a pretty lousy pasture. I'd like to have a few more really ugly or odd looking cows like her around today, beauty being only skin deep!

My Longhorn cows both had calves this past weekend. Before they had calves they were like pets. I could rub their heads and grab them by the horns. Now since they have had calves they will keep me at least 100 feet from their calves. They even ran off a buzzard yesterday who was after the after birth. They look after each others calves like they were their own. I dont remember the Angus, Hereford,Charolais, and Dairy cows that I grew up with acting like that. A stray dog doesnt stand a chance in the pasture now with these cows.

Brahmans are like that except for the keeping me 100ft away. Most of my cows will let me get really close and some let me pet the new calf. Another thing they do is have nurse cows, babysitting cows, whatever you want to call it. One always stays with the babies.

About chasing off dogs, yes they do that to the point of killing those ever popular catahoula cattle dogs. I even heard a story from a man who have emigrated to America from India about the cattle he had in India (gyr - milk cows) surrounding and killing a lion. Thought surely he must mean tiger until I found out India does have lions or did about 20 years ago anyway.

A funny thing about dogs is they can recognize our dog. One time our dog had a neighbors over and they were playing out in the pasture. The cows chased the neighbors dog off and didn't bother our dog.

Well my Longhorns dont bother my beagle/daschound mix Red Dawg much. They probably remember the time Red Dawg chased a chow dog out the pasture. I get tired of shooting people's dogs out of my nieghbor's pasture.

You must have had some pretty crappy other cattle. Our Red Angus and F1s regularly gang up on anything in the pasture that doesn't belong. Dogs, cats, coons, possums even turkeys. By the time the calves are a week or two old they're doing the same thing. One cow and sometimes a yearling heifer will be the babysit while everybody else goes off and feeds. All of that is normal cattle behaviour.

dun

I have a 2 yr old cow that is a longhorn/brahma cross. Her momma died when she was 3mts old so she was 'hand raised' She is the most gentle thing. I can walk right up to her in the pasture and scratch her, feed her. When she calved she popped the angus sired calf out in 10 mins tops. She is the smallest cow we have but her calf is ever bit as big as everyone elses. I had her dehorned when she was young and she doesn't show much of the brahma characheristics. She is red/white face and her calf is black/white face.

Why would anyone want to cross a longhorn and a brahma? Both of them offer disease resistance, longevity, and unassisted calving. In my opinion it doesn't look like you'd be gaining much.

Saw that this morning. I've said it before....for all you want to talk about United and their international profile they really seem to do business the right way. I'm interested to see just how much Kenyon had to do with these results, so next year will be interesting.

DUKO IS BUSY SPAMMING TODAY.

Latest posts