Longhorn X Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here is our case study:

Last year an area rancher had been losing cows and calves due to having to pull calves. He contacted us for a Longhorn Bull to help solve the problem. He had 2 other Beefmaster bulls (our Longhorn bull was #1 libido--beefmaster bulls didn't get any action except the 1 calf that had to be pulled). He was pulling 20-30% of his calves.

Recently, he came to visit and was interested in buying 2 more of our Longhorn Bulls. He said out of 26 calves in his current crop (sired by the LH bull we sold him), NONE of the calves had to be pulled and all were very healthy. [Note: He lost another calf sired by his Beefmaster bull].

On a sidebar: Our LH calf crop (to date this year, more expected) has produced 8 calves ranging between 36 and 55# and all are healthy with no problems. We have a number of others due this April and May.

We've fed a lot of hay and minerals and cubes this winter; however, it has paid off with healthy cows, calves, bulls; and, all probably have a BCS in the 5-6 range (even for Longhorns).

Bill

You know my opinion on Longhorns.

Far as I am concerned they are a very valid choice for the commercial breeder. Especially on heifers.

Always liked those little red eared calves.

Bez

We use Longhorn bulls on our commercial Beefmaster and Beefalo cows and for ths most part are getting solid colored calves-reds and blacks. Sometimes get a brockle faced one or two. For those folks who don't like Longhorns this cross would fool them. The calves that we've had have not shown alot of horns and have been good bodied.

bubchub":291i0s0s said:
Bill, wouldn't them longhorn bulls knock the prices on them calves being they have spots.

We're getting (as well as others are) red, black, brown solid colored LH calves out of spotted cows (and roan bulls) as well as the spotted ones. And, you can take some "hits" at the sale barn when you have 100% live calves w/o pulling them who are healthy and in good condition.

Bottomline is how many live, healthy calves hit the ground with no illness problems.