Longhorn sale on RFD

Help Support CattleToday:

High sellers? your guess is as good as mine.

I did have a few I had my eye on... nothing really I couldnt live without though.

Lot 65 - Shady W always bred really good animals
Lot 74 - Looks like she has some depth to her
Lot 90 - HD Leading Edge is an awesome producer, and the cow Berry Special is a pretty good one, too
Lot 146 - Decent bloodlines, good phenotypically
Lot 152 - She's old, but she has good bloodlines and probably a calf or two left
Lot 155 - I'm a huge fan of Circle K Donovan, he's a real big bull with lots of horn

I watched the sale. I felt the the prices for the most part were very low. There were may I would have paid the bid price, Problem is getting them up here. One breed cow/bull calf pair went for $800. I told my wife I could wean the calf and put it in my baby beef program and recupe half the price of the purchase.
Were the prices low or was it a typical Longhorn sale? I will be attending one in Hagerstown, MD in May. If this is typical price, maybe I'll drag the trailer along.

I would say those were low to average. The big thing with that sale is that it was Easter weekend and they had so many lots (he actually cut about 20-30 lots out of the sale). I think the overall quality wasnt as high as you see at some other sales, too. I think you could pick up some good deals at that sale in MD.

What did you guys think of the auctioneer who was running the sale? Personally, I think he was the worst auctioneer I have ever heard, and I have been to quite a few machinery and cattle auctions. There were numerous times he got caught "ghost bidding" when there were no actual bids, he would start off at $1000 and jump straight to $1500....he was very rude to the buyers. Then there was the time when he told the lady doing the announcing that the girl was selling her cow because she was getting married, he said this right after the lady said she was selling it for college money! He may have been joking, but I got the impression the lady wasnt very amused, might have even been related to the girl selling the cow. I just wasnt impressed with his work at all. Seems he was stuck on "I got 10 hundered gimme 11 hundred, I got 10 hundred gimme 11......

Kinda took a shot at the angus raisers too...when he said"Folks, why is it we can put the worse looking black bull in the ring and get $1500, and these quality bulls wont bring near that?" Yes, the prices were very low. Was it just that particular sale, or is the sail going out of the longhorn balloon?

From what I've seen before, that's typical Col Eddie Wood auctioneering. He likes to throw in comments here and there, such as "This cow won't drink without the other one".

As far as the prices, I thought they were pretty average for the quality/age of the animals. I wasn't impressed with most of the lots.

I think he was just kidding when he made the comment on the girl needing college money. I just can't believe some of those ugly things sold for as high as $11,000! What could you do with a Longhorn besides selling the horns and the hide?

Folks, why is it we can put the worse looking black bull in the ring and get $1500, and these quality bulls wont bring near that?
My wife wondered why I was laughing so hard when I heard him say that. I wanted to scream at the screen and remind him he's selling PETS not cattle. The 'worst looking black bull' would have more meat on his bones than any three lots in that sale combined.

If I remember correctly, he said that while trying to sell a 14 year old bull that was on its last leg and really didn't have all that impressive horns. I was amazed they even wasted the time to put him in the sale instead of just taking him to the packer.

I also agree with the above poster that noticed him getting caught on ghost bidders. In fact, I'm tired of that in general. It seems like all of the auctioneers I've watched lately watched The Sixth Sense and think they can see dead people too.

lahunter wrote:
What could you do with a Longhorn besides selling the horns and the hide?

They also are great to cross breed with other breeds. A Longhorn bull used on first calf heifers will give you a live calf crop and no dead or paralyzed heifers. A Longhorn cow bred to another beef breed of bull will raise and wean a big calf on less feed. Just a couple of things to consider-seems that most people either don't know this or forget about it.

That practice basically destroyed the Simmental breed down here. Buyers are so scared of buying Longhorn cross cattle that they avoid buying anything with even a hint of it including anything with spots. Those calves will grow good until they are weaned but once they hit the feedlot they ruin bottom lines.

There are plenty of calving ease beef type bulls that will make calving season easier without screwing over the people who eventually buy your cattle.

While Longhorn cattle have a lot of uses, claiming they have a legitimate place in beef production is a bit of a stretch.

I understand that buyers really ream us on spotted or off colored cattle. They basically do that because they can. I've seen plenty of Longhorn cross that would give other straight bred or beef crosses a good run for the money but I guess it all depends on the quality of the other animal that is crossed with the Longhorn.

I also understand that there are other low weight beef bulls out there-I guess I don't understand why more folks don't use them on their first calvers. I see alot of folks on this board talk about the woes of calving season and the difficult births and losses of cows and calves. I grew up with the same thing-spending long nights up with cows that couldn't give birth, paralyzed cows and heifers, dead calves, trying to graft another calf on the cow because her's died with a difficult birth etc. Man, I sure don't miss that one bit.

Rustler9, the spot things isn't just some made up idea that spots are bad. The deduction for spots is because of the Longhorn breed. Those calves grow just fine until they get to weaning time. Once they get to the feeder though they absolutely kill your bottom line if you are trying to make a profit. I can't blame the buyers for not buying cattle that might have Longhorn in them, I've seen what they do on feed.

I watched that entire sale Saturday and not one of those cattle would hold a candle to cattle sold in actual beef cattle sales. However, I've seen plenty of Angus bulls that will put out calves just as small as those Corriente and Longhorn bulls that some use.

I'm not dogging the Longhorn breed, I'm just saying their novelty doesn't carry over into beef production. It's OKAY for a breed to be a novelty breed, you don't have to get upset when beef people say they have no use for your cattle.

The only problem I have with Longhorn cattle is they have ruined the market prices and thus the seedstock prices for a real beef breed, Simmental.

Third Row":mac9k89o said:
Once they get to the feeder though they absolutely kill your bottom line if you are trying to make a profit. ........ It's OKAY for a breed to be a novelty breed, you don't have to get upset when beef people say they have no use for your cattle.

If you are saying that it takes longer to finish a Longhorn I would agree; however, if you're also saying that the beef is not as good as other breeds, then I would have to disagree.
There are many people who actually prefer the leaner Longhorn meat to other breeds.

I'm saying they stop putting muscle mass on, are terrible at feed conversion, and refuse to finish; three of the things that are absolutely essential to the bottom line of the feeders.

Like I said, my only problem with the breed is what their use as calving ease sires has done to legitimate high production beef cattle that happen to have spots. There are plenty of calving ease beef type bulls.

So does that mean that a buyer and I'm assuming that this would be someone who has some experience with cattle and various breeds, can't tell the difference between a spotted Simmental and a Longhorn? Wow.

As you know, 1/2 blood Longhorn calves will grow pretty well until weaning age. Buyers got burned by too many young calves that didn't look Longhorn but ended up going to pot once they were put on feed.

Commercial operators were getting docked for the potential of having Longhorn in their spotted calves and they dropped Simmental like it was a bad habit. It's only been the change to solid black Simmentals that has helped bring the breed back down here.

You can use any sarcastic tone you want to try to belittle what I'm saying but it's not just something I came up with. Ask cattle buyers in South Texas about it. I didn't make the decision on why they do it, I just listen to what they say.

I still don't understand why somebody would use Longhorns for calving ease when there are bulls from numerous other beef breeds that will throw 50-60 lb calves.

Latest posts