Longhorn info

Help Support CattleToday:

Couple of quick questions, but first I want to thank everyone that helped and gave me a few pointers. I really appreciate it. Here we go again. haha.

- How often does inbreeding occur in your herds?? I would like to not do it at all but If I were to breed a bull or heifer I liked and wanted to breed him or her is it fine to inbreed again or should I just stay away from it altogether?

- I would really like to do Artificial Insemination because I absolutley love Kobra: Red Peak Ranch & Superman: Semkin Longhorns. Of course there are more I would like but for sure I would like these two beautiful Bulls in my genes. But could someone explain to me how a semen tank works or the whole $25/straw and everything about AI please??

- Lastly the one question Ive been wondering since I started this study of TL's. * How do I start my journey into the industry?? Should I purchase some cows that I like maybe with some calves at thier sides and AI all of them with different bulls throughout the industry and breed until I get a Bull I would like to breed?

- Do I need a shelter of some sort.......a decent sized barn with a few pens perhaps??

ok ok one more....

- If I breed some bull calves that I would not like should I steer them or not? How do you handlehe steering process at your ranch?

Thanks Once Again Everyene!! :cboy:

NDKID":2ken3g9t said:
Hey guys. Im new on here and very curious in the cattle industry for my future. I am just curious if anyone on here has any info or experience at all on texas longhorns. I would some day like to own a herd of my own and was just wondering if I could get a little insight from a actual longhorn rancher. Ive been researching for about a year now and im stilll hooked and from what ive read that is what happens! I do not live on a farm but have relatives with a decent sized one with gelbvieh, angus, and charlois breeds there, which is what got me interested in the longhorn breed was watching my relatives cattle all day. So what im saying is I will be starting from scratch with my ranch. I really just want cattle, I dont like the idea of raising crops, so im wondering if it is at all possible to have an operating ranch with just longhorns to provide all the ranches operations. If anyone can help its greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone

Since you have family connections with more conventional cattle, maybe you would be better off leaning on them for education and information and if you were close to them you might ultimately get more than just information. I would get established in the cattle biz FIRST and be making money at that; before making the switch to being a registered Lonhorn breeder (the same is true for people who want to be registered Angus, Hereford, or Wagyu breeders).

Inbreeding? Not a good idea in my opinion.

We just have our semen shipped directly to the vet that will be doing the A.I. work for us.

Purchase what you can afford from a reputible breeder......the absolute most you can afford. Through A.I. you can gradually improve your herd. Especially when using fine bulls like the ones you mention. Decide what your objective is: Show Cattle, Horns etc. In my opinion very few bulls with extraordinarily long horns produce nice show cattle and very few nice show cattle end up producing extraordinarily long horns.

Visit some other ranches to get ideas of equipment you need. You can start with very little equipment.

Bulls.....you shouldn't have a problem selling bulls. Ours always sell quickly, most to people to put with their heifers.

Latest posts