longhorn horns

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, I am doing a report for my first grade class about longhorn cattle. Could you tell me what the longest measured distance tip to tip of a longhorns horns? Thanks, Will

[email protected]

> I read here that the record is 92" tip to tip.

<A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/ok/tlonghorn/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/ok/tlonghorn/</A>

[email protected]

I've read that the record for a Steer is 103". By the way...you write very eloquently for a 1st grader (6 year old?)...lol.

>
> <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/ok/tlonghorn/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/ok/tlonghorn/</A>

The 2002 Horn Showcase Champion, Watson 101 measured 96.125" tip-to-tip. I don't think he is the longest out there though. Magnum Owened by Larry Smith is believed to be the widest horn of any breed at 120" tip-to-tip. He is half Watusi/Longhorn.> <A HREF="http://www.texaslonghorn.com/frames.shtml" TARGET="_blank">www.texaslonghorn.com/frames.shtml</A>

Does the Longhorn Assn. recognize a crossbred as having the longest horns?

The 2002 Horn Showcase Champion,
> Watson 101 measured 96.125"
> tip-to-tip. I don't think he is
> the longest out there though.
> Magnum Owened by Larry Smith is
> believed to be the widest horn of
> any breed at 120" tip-to-tip.
> He is half Watusi/Longhorn.>
> <A HREF="http://www.texaslonghorn.com/frames.shtml" TARGET="_blank">www.texaslonghorn.com/frames.shtml</A>

[email protected]

> Does the Longhorn Assn. recognize
> a crossbred as having the longest
> horns?

> The 2002 Horn Showcase Champion,

As far as I know ITLA does not regonize crossbreeds for horn competion, however they do have a composite class that requires one parent to be a registered Longhorn or maybe just the sire (could not find my rule book). I am seriously considering purchasing a Gelbvieh heifer to cross with my Longhorn bull to see what the cross would bring to the table from a beef stand point.

> Does the Longhorn Assn. recognize
> a crossbred as having the longest
> horns?

Hi Frankie, I called the TLBA and asked them about your Question. I wanted to ask them a couple things myself. I have been kicking around doing some Longhorn cross breeding. Anyway, they said their isn't a category that recognizes Longhorn crosses for horn measurements as of yet, but if there became enough interest they could make it happen. They will register a Longhorn cross if both parents are registered. The cross will be registerd as F1 and must have an X branded with the privet herd number. > PS. I took the advise Dun gave me on using the Gomer steer, and he has a cow picked out now. The steer, that is! I hope to find her in standing heat at first light. I just started posting my ranch name. MR3 > Rod

Thanks, wonder how could it be a longhorn cross if both parents are registered? We'd be lost without some sort of gomer bull around here. During breeding season we heat detect several times a day, but he picks them out a day or two in advance. Good luck...

> Hi Frankie, I called the TLBA and
> asked them about your Question. I
> wanted to ask them a couple things
> myself. I have been kicking around
> doing some Longhorn cross
> breeding. Anyway, they said their
> isn't a category that recognizes
> Longhorn crosses for horn
> measurements as of yet, but if
> there became enough interest they
> could make it happen. They will
> register a Longhorn cross if both
> parents are registered. The cross
> will be registerd as F1 and must
> have an X branded with the privet
> herd number. > PS. I took the
> advise Dun gave me on using the
> Gomer steer, and he has a cow
> picked out now. The steer, that
> is! I hope to find her in standing
> heat at first light. I just
> started posting my ranch name. MR3
> > Rod

> Hi Frankie, I called the TLBA and
> asked them about your Question. I
> wanted to ask them a couple things
> myself. I have been kicking around
> doing some Longhorn cross
> breeding. Anyway, they said their
> isn't a category that recognizes
> Longhorn crosses for horn
> measurements as of yet, but if
> there became enough interest they
> could make it happen. They will
> register a Longhorn cross if both
> parents are registered. The cross
> will be registerd as F1 and must
> have an X branded with the privet
> herd number. > PS. I took the
> advise Dun gave me on using the
> Gomer steer, and he has a cow
> picked out now. The steer, that
> is! I hope to find her in standing
> heat at first light. I just
> started posting my ranch name. MR3
> > Rod

Just Curious - If you use the Gomer "steer" as you mentioned, won't the bride he picked out be terribly disappointed!

[email protected]

> Just Curious - If you use the
> Gomer "steer" as you
> mentioned, won't the bride he
> picked out be terribly
> disappointed!

I hope to take care of that for her. Last winter I put a cow between two panels up against the gate, with a 2x6 behind her. I was nervous, she was hysterical. It was my second time AI-ing, her first. Just as I got started she tried to crawl under the gate. I must have stood behind her for 15-20 minutes. She was face down, ass in the air. All I could think was, Please God don't let the neighbors see this!
>Rod

> Thanks, wonder how could it be a
> longhorn cross if both parents are
> registered? We'd be lost without
> some sort of gomer bull around
> here. During breeding season we
> heat detect several times a day,
> but he picks them out a day or two
> in advance. Good luck...

The way I understand it, is that each parent must be registered (What ever breed it is. One, being a Longhorn) for the cross to be registered. Otherwise you couldn't trace it's pedigree. Sorry if I made it sound like both parents were Longhorns. > My cow isn't standing yet. I like having the advanced warning though. I am fairly new at this and have a low success rate, but happy with my results. I mostly have gone by the AM. PM. rule. The first being my fall calves. With the short winter days I may have been to soon on some. Two, I got home late and AI-ed by the truck headlights, both took first try. Thinking late is better than early.
> Rod

There are several Texas Longhorn organizations. Some focus on horns and shows, some on low-cost lean range beef production. The Longhorns bred for beef tend to have medium-size horns.

[email protected]

Latest posts