Longhorn Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

BIGMUD

Reaction score
I came across and ad for a 3yr old longhorn heifer for sale, she is obviously a pet (in the ad they refered to her as a pet). My question is do you think their would be a problem with her getting breed. Now I know that if she is fat as a pumpking and been free ranging grain then there are going to be problems with her, just curious what your thoughts are

oh yeah they are asking $350

3yr old heifer? I am guessing the owners doesn't have a bull. ??

Ok, If she is that fat.... and only $350...... Beef for the freezer baby!

You can breeding her and she will learn to fend for herself in the pasture.

If a 3 YO LH heifer hasn't ever been bred (or exposed to a bull) then she probably is fertile. Only way to tell for sure is to expose her to a bull and see what happens.

A 3 YO should probably weigh between about 900 and 1100 lbs., preferably between about 900 and 1000. LH tend to weigh less than "commercial" cattle. We have one 1200 lb LH mature cow; however, she has a large frame and is about 57" tall at hip.

If she is bred, then have her ultrasounded or palpated about 3 months after estimated service date.

If your 3 YO LH is much over 1000 lbs., then I'd put her on pasture/plain hay ration to get some weight off of her. If she is overweight, do not feed any supplements or high % hay. Of course, make sure she has a quality mineral tub, salt, fresh water. Most of our producing LH cows range between about 875 and 1000# and do quite well. Our 1st calf heifers that are first bred usually weigh between about 650 and 750 at about 12-14 months of age. Just be sure to use a "small" bull with 1st calf heifers so he doesn't put too much weight on her back when mounting.

BIGMUD":31dxdpc8 said:
I came across and ad for a 3yr old longhorn heifer for sale, she is obviously a pet (in the ad they refered to her as a pet). My question is do you think their would be a problem with her getting breed. Now I know that if she is fat as a pumpking and been free ranging grain then there are going to be problems with her, just curious what your thoughts are

oh yeah they are asking $350

For $350 he seller is either wanting to "get rid of" the heifer, she isn't registered, or she is "roper" quality. This price is in line with "sale barn" prices for horned, spotted cattle... Take her off of grain or high nutrient feed/forage and get weight off of her if she is "fat"...

Dang, now I know why I saw Rustler rushing out of town headed to Illinois with a 350 check in his hand! :)

Seriuosly,
Like Bill said, more than likely she's never been exposed. I once bought a coming 3 yr. old heifer that was WAY to fat. Put her in a lot for a week or two and then exposed her to a young bull. She had a very nice calf 9 mos. later. ;-)

Latest posts