Longhorn, for what is good??

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but I will like to know the benefits of breeding these animals. They don't exist down here so I am courious, I have never seen one personally, only pictures.

Thanks for any information.
L

With the actual land prices they will be a very expensive ornament in the near future.... :roll:
L

Lorenzo what breeds do you have there?

Uruguay has the biggest herd of pure Hereford in the world. Indeed we have a VERY good genetic pool of these animals but we don't have the marketing or sales experience of first world countries so we don't export too much :(

Despite this, there is a BIG boom with Angus down here, many wealthy new breeders (not traditional cattle breeders) in the arena are going the Angus way so the prices of Angus are higher than the Hereford.

The National Grand Champion went 14K while the Hereford went 12K.

Also we have Jersey (the biggest jersey breeder in South America), lots of Holstein, next year the Annual Holstein World Congress will be down here (we have mostly Canada and North American bloods) a few Charolais (decreasing), and little number of Brafords, Shortons, Limousin, etc.

L

guest25":2mtdscai said:
all because of the hype over angus now we are going backwards in what the producer wants and demands.

Did you mean what the consumer wants and demands?

Lorenzo,
in regards to your original question. Longhorns are a very hardy, disease resistant breed, that can thrive in most any climate or terrain. They also make excellent mothers, and are easy calvers. And yes, like dun said, make good pasture ornaments.

Ryan

As dun wrote:
Pasture ornaments

Yep, they're pretty neat to look at, I certainly don't find myself nearly as bored looking at them as I would a pasture full of all black, white or red cattle but Longhorns have alot of other great qualities to offer as well. Lean beef, low in fat, low in cholesterol and much less waste as may of the main stream breeds. Ever butchered a big, fat _____ (insert beef breed here) and been disappointed at the return on the meat? Fat (tallow) is a waste. Not too many uses for it.

Ever bred your first calf heifers to a _____(insert beef breed here) bull and spent endless nights pulling calves, losing some, maybe even losing the mothers? Calving ease is another trait of the Longhorn. Heifers calve easily and breed back with less stress.

Longhorns also forage well and eat alot of things other breeds will not touch, all the time maintaining their weight and raising a big, fat calf. Use a beef bull of your choice on a Longhorn female and you'll be amazed at the weaning weight of the cross bred calf. The steers make excellent beef and the cross bred mothers excel as brood cows.

You generally get docked the the sale barn for the horns and the spots so they arent great sale barn cattle. Pros out weigh the cons but there's always the nay sayers who'll tryto steer you away from them.

Are they agressive ??
It will be interesting to buy some embryos for fun... :D
My 9,3x62 mauser has done well culling feral waterbuffs in the past :lol:
L

Personally the ones I've dealed with aren't aggresive. They're quite tame actually, although that comes with any breed, how you handle them is the factor.

The TL's that I've worked with are the only ones I've ever seen here in Australia. Gorgeous little calves they are.

dun":3m3el3g7 said:
Pasture ornaments

dun

Glue and rugs, if the breed had brought anything to the table after the taming of the west the true cattlemen of the era would not have worked so hard to eradicate them. Everything has a time and place and the longhorns time passed in the late 1800's.

Caustic Burno":3737rpxa said:
dun":3737rpxa said:
Pasture ornaments

dun

Glue and rugs, if the breed had brought anything to the table after the taming of the west the true cattlemen of the era would not have worked so hard to eradicate them. Everything has a time and place and the longhorns time passed in the late 1800's.

The same could be said for some humans. ;-)

As I have said many times, if myself or anyone else chooses to raise LH's, if it's to save the breed from eradication, or as pasture ornaments, glue and rugs, is it taking money out of your pocket or mine? Live and let live.

warpaint":15csh3aj said:
As I have said many times, if myself or anyone else chooses to raise LH's, if it's to save the breed from eradication, or as pasture ornaments, glue and rugs, is it taking money out of your pocket or mine? Live and let live.

The question was asked. I din;t say anything negative about those that choose to breed them. They're just not a beef breed.
That all said, I'ld hate to see them extinct.

dun

warpaint":1gog3ua4 said:
While they may not be the most popular, they are in fact a beef breed. It just happens to be leaner and lower in cholesterol, than most. ;-)

So true!

Bovines are either: Beef Animals, Milk Animals, or Dual-Purpose animals. A Longhorn is a "beef" animal, regardless of how it would grade at the slaughter house...

The Longhorn was almost bred to extinction because it crossed so well with the "new" European breeds that were brought over by the settlers. The first Herefords and Durhams didn't fare so well when they were brought over and were bred up from Longhorn stock. The same still holds true today-they are a beef breed and have alot to offer. They cross very well with any other beef breed and for anyone who will give them a try can reap very pleasing results. For those who question crossing them with other breeds-then why do folks cross Angus, Hereford or any other breed? Evidently, because no one breed can offer everything in one package.

Running Arrow Bill":8ceqikv4 said:
warpaint":8ceqikv4 said:
While they may not be the most popular, they are in fact a beef breed. It just happens to be leaner and lower in cholesterol, than most. ;-)

So true!

Bovines are either: Beef Animals, Milk Animals, or Dual-Purpose animals. A Longhorn is a "beef" animal, regardless of how it would grade at the slaughter house...

They are a beef breed at my house. ;-) Tho they are not as heavy as other breeds, they do not have the wasted fat. The meat is lean, and naturaly tender, and as stated "lower in cholesterol". In other words, it is better for you. :lol:
They do not have as much milk as other breeds, the milk is richer, and goes farther. I have never drank it but I bet it is good, and maybe even good for you.
Mac

What is it now, Longhorn Bashing time now instead of Angus Bashing time? :lol: :help:

Brandonm2":2r06vjwq said:
Never fear, we seem to still have plenty of time too bash Angus on these boards.
As long as guest25 is hanging around there is more time than I ever thought possible.

I personally havn't ever owned one but I have a friend that runs around 500 head of commercial cows. He trades a few cows and has bought and kept about 150 cheap LH cows. He says they make more money than anything, live off a promise, and raise good stout calves that go right on the same load with the rest of his calves and bring close to top dollar in load lots. Some I've seen on here are better in phenotype than several AI sires you see form the studs. IMO good ones are good ones.