Longhorn diet

Help Support CattleToday:

bleuxskye

Reaction score
Hello. New to this group. We have 10 Longhorn and I am wondering if there is anyone else that owns Longhorn and what they feed their animals. Thanks.

Yes. Anything in addition to the grass and hay. We give them cubes every two or three days but that is so that they are more approachable. Thanks

Mine are on spring water, pasture and a protein tub. We gave them cattle treats from tractor supply. (50lb bag for like $12.) When we first got them here on our farm. We were used to each other in no time. I do rotational grazing with poly wire, so no treats unless they are behind a barbed wire fence. They seem to like them too much and get a little too agressive for my taste. They are fat and happy on pasture anyway....

The advantage to longhorns is you don't have to feed them much for them to stay healthy, mine only get cubes if I have to get them up. I rotational graze so they're easy to handle without feed, the biggest problem I have with mine is they like to be too close with the big horns. I feed decent quality hay in the winter, last winter they only ate 3 bales each with me keeping hay out in front of them at all times and they stayed fat. I generally make all my animals clean up what's on the ground after the bale is gone with in reason before putting another out, usually one day without a bale in the feeder and they clean up what's still good on the ground.