Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
My wife has a small herd of Longhorns that we keep in a pasture by the house (I call them yard ornaments)... anyway, I bred these cows to one of our LBW Black Angus bulls and just thought this was a neat picture. This steer calf came out skunk striped but has really took off. He is 6 months old in this picture.
DSC_0038_zps35a84e1b.jpg

That is what I call good pasture or yard art, nice calf! I would like to see that cow have a calf out of a Hereford bull.

You may not have enough of them to justifye it, but a charlois will cover up most if not all of the longhorn characteristic. Our preacher has a small herd of longhorns. He has some pretty impressive weaning weights with a charlois bull.

Bigfoot":32tkhnyx said:
You may not have enough of them to justifye it, but a charlois will cover up most if not all of the longhorn characteristic. Our preacher has a small herd of longhorns. He has some pretty impressive weaning weights with a charlois bull.
Yes they will and that's about the number 1 longhorn cross around here, I just think a Hereford on a longhorn like this would take out even more than a Charolais.

Great picture! I like a longhorn cross. What do you estimate to be the age and weight of the cow?

denvermartinfarms":22bs42hl said:
Bigfoot":22bs42hl said:
Yes they will and that's about the number 1 longhorn cross around here, I just think a Hereford on a longhorn like this would take out even more than a Charolais.
Longhorn x Pied can give a Charolais x Longhorn running for money, tho Pied don't knock the colors off. Personally I would think Hereford x Longhorn cows would be excellent momma cows. My late grandpa's friend used to have some Fleck x Longhorn cross steers 20 years ago and they don't show any hints of the longhorns but the crossbred are large framed and beefier.

Great picture! I have some longhorns that I am crossing with angus and char. What do you estimate to be the age, weight, and height of this cow? Thanks!!!

Thank you for the compliments... Sorry that I have not responded till now, it was a very busy weekend on the farm!

Greybeard: Yes, they are really good momma cows that milk well! They are also very protective and you have to watch you back when working around them when you have new calves on the ground.

Denver: You will see that soon! I bred the Longhorns back to our LBW Hereford bull.

Don: Not sure of the actual age of this cow... I would guess 5-7 years.

Here are a couple more pictures of the wife's herd:

Calves out of the same LBW Black Angus bull. Her calf is the one on the right. The calf on the left belongs to the 2-year old pictured below (this was her first calf)
DSC_0028_zps56c37784.jpg

DSC_0029_zps9558dbb4.jpg

Mom and Daughter (full blood LH). This is a yearling that we are keeping to breed. Momma cow is heavy bred and should calve in the next week or so (Black Angus bull).
DSC_0034_zps5980f4f2.jpg

Latest posts