Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
What would be better for Longhorn cows? British or Continental?and what color of these bulls would most likely cut out the splashiness' of longhorns?

CopeMan":3mma0pld said:
What would be better for Longhorn cows? British or Continental?and what color of these bulls would most likely cut out the splashiness' of longhorns?

Where do you come up with all these questions. Is it for some ag. class quiz or what.

CopeMan":2ovr6o6u said:
we have one of the largest Longhorn herds in Mexico, and to say the truth if you are not raising them purebred for lean meat anything you cross to them will be good.

Interesting question and I've never crossed any of my longhorns or brangus with each other. To be honest, I'm not sure what it would produce as far as quality.

Anyway, I'm going to take a guess on this one. I would think that the British cross would produce better. A neighbor of mine bought a couple of longhorns from me and keeps them in the same pasture as his black angus cows. He breeds them to bulls of their own breed and does not cross-breed. Anyway, the longhorns he bought from me are really the same height but just are not a heavy as the angus.

The British cows should add more marbling and weight whereas I would think that the continental would add more muscle and size. I would think that the mass and marbling would be more beneficial.

I would be curious to hear others thoughts.

lazyhill":3a289fzd said:
Interesting question and I've never crossed any of my longhorns or brangus with each other. To be honest, I'm not sure what it would produce as far as quality.

Anyway, I'm going to take a guess on this one. I would think that the British cross would produce better. A neighbor of mine bought a couple of longhorns from me and keeps them in the same pasture as his black angus cows. He breeds them to bulls of their own breed and does not cross-breed. Anyway, the longhorns he bought from me are really the same height but just are not a heavy as the angus.

The British cows should add more marbling and weight whereas I would think that the continental would add more muscle and size. I would think that the mass and marbling would be more beneficial.

I would be curious to hear others thoughts.
I have bred some Charolaise and Simmental heifers to Longhorns and they really have muscle, I don't breed English so i don't know how well will they do.

la4angus":2ymgi6bq said:
CopeMan":2ymgi6bq said:

Where do you come up with all these questions. Is it for some ag. class quiz or what.

No, this is a Cattle question/answer board, Soo I have qusetions about cattle, is that such a crime. Im interested in cattle. Im an Angus man myself, but that dont mean I cant find out infromation. What so wrong with asking questions , youll never know if you dont ask. Dont even try to piss me off, because you wont because I enjoy these posts alot, and I enjoy your posts, you know a lot about cattle. So I ask you, why do you have to open your mouth and say something?

CopeMan":4l42fsbr said:

Longhorns that have a strong "blend" of genetics will probably pass on some "splashiness" (colorfullness) to calves. If you select a solid color Longhorn that has solid color in his/her past 2 or 3 generations and you breed it to a solid color non-Longhorn breed, they you will probably have a very good chance of getting calves with mostly solid color.

Originally, many many years (decades) ago the vast majority of Longhorns appear to have been mostly solid color. With subsequent out-crossing of Longhorns, they have been bred to produce the splashy colors as well as LH with even longer horns.

A solid black, red, brown, or white LH bull will give you the best "chance" of producing a solid color offspring; again, the more solid color in that LH past 2-3 generations, the better your odds.

Theres nothing wrong with your asking questions Copeman. Its nice to see other young people interested in cattle who actually ask pertinent questions and make relevant comments to the board, as opposed to just answering each post to take up space. keep up the good work.

CopeMan":2om8hwcm said:
la4angus":2om8hwcm said:
CopeMan":2om8hwcm said:

No, this is a Cattle question/answer board, Soo I have qusetions about cattle, is that such a crime. Im interested in cattle. Im an Angus man myself, but that dont mean I cant find out infromation. What so wrong with asking questions , youll never know if you dont ask. Dont even try to piss me off, because you wont because I enjoy these posts alot, and I enjoy your posts, you know a lot about cattle. So I ask you, why do you have to open your mouth and say something?
No It is not a crime to ask questions. I never insinuated that it is.
You ask a lot of questions about different breeds, and what they would like crossed with something,what color, where can they be found, and I was just wondering if these are questions that your ag teacher was presenting to your class to make you more aware of what is out there or could be out there with certain crosses of certain breeds.
FYO I don't think that anyone is trying to P---you off.

And I am not being sarcastic, in my previous post about polled longhorns. There is some talk of this happening. Craaazzzzyyyy

Well thats fine, I hope we can put this behind us and enjoy each others posts. I appreciate your info. I like that bull you had on your Avatar Limited Edition, are you using him for AI?

Yes, we used Limited lightly last year. This year we have more cows bred to him. The other bull "First Edition" is a bull that I own along with a few other Partners. One is over in your area. They are calving to him now.
Limited Edition is the Maternal grandsire to First Edition.

May I ask how big your operation is and how many head you have? and how many herd bulls do you own?

to answer your original question i would think british breeding would be better to cross with longhorns, since they are already lean they could use some marbling and beefiness. angus or hereford would probably be best as far as coloration goes b/c shorthorns and longhorns would tend to have several spotted or roan calves whereas angus and hereford might be a little more predictable. the "lineback" or "skunktail" coloration that is transmitted through some charolais tends to be a fairly dominant trait so i woudl assume it is in longhorn crosses too. it definitely is in pinzguaer. interesting question.

Latest posts