Longhorn cross

Help Support CattleToday:

How much less could you take for a calf who's dam required 1/3 the forage, was purchased for 1/3 the price and required one third the calving attention,worming and other per cow expenses?
I would like to know how you get a cow to only eat 1/3 the forage? It is a scientifically proven fact that a 800 pound eats more than half the forage that a 1600 pound cow. My cows weigh 1,100-1,200 pounds. If there were a straight weight to consumption ratio (which there isn't) that cow to eat 1/3 would need to weigh 366-400 pounds. That isn't even a decent weaning weight let alone a cow weight. I averaged paying $856 on the broken mouth cows I bought last winter, A 1/3 of that price is $285. I don't know where you find cows for that price. Any thing I see selling that cheap is most like going to be coyote bait in a week or two. I just checked the cows while calving twice a day. A third that level is checking twice every three days. Actually one of my checks was while feeding hay (you have to do that here no matter what kind of cows you have). Worming? That is a very minimal expense.

The hide color issue is because regardless of the quality grade at the slaughter house only black hided cattle can get a CAB premium. That's a different issue!
You are right. I get tired of the belly-achers talking about their red, or white, or smoky calves getting "docked" Or " discounted". @50/50Farms , he is right. You will see this on a post every 2 weeks or so. " My red steers (or white, or any other color) were just as good if not better than those black ones. They brought $1.98 a pound and my good ( other coors brought $1.68. It is not fair for me to get "docked" 30 cents." Then will come comment after comment bashing AAA and the CAB program . They were NOT docked. They brought $1.68 because that what the best, top quality steers in that weight class brought. So did the blacks, only the buyers paid a $.30 PREMIUM for the black calves, figuring they would get CAB status at the processors And the processors, or packers some people call them, will pay that extra premium for a CAB qualified carcass. Are these "belly-achers really that stupid, that they think they should get the CAB premium for a red calf?!!! I agree with @J+Cattle, quit your bitching and buy black cattle, or just a homozygous for black and polled bull to use on your "other color cows".

LOL.
You can tell when someones "experience" is either reading the internet or perhaps an advertising campaign writer for longhorn breeders. I have to assume anyone that thinks those numbers are even remotely accurate have never raised beef cattle.
Well, Hoss, I have 60 years experience with cattle. This whole thing came about out of jealousy, and some stupidity, because of my posts about a specific operation I have been involved with for a few decades. I have a friend and partner, since college, and he and I, 40 something years ago, bought 220 something acres of cut-over pulp wood land in south GA where he lives. . This was and still is, our rabbit and quail hunting land. It is entirely fenced with 5 stands of barb wire. Over 10 acres is grown up in pure Kidzu. WHat grass is there is Johnson grass, broom sage, and in a spot or two volunteer wheat, millet and sorghum from past dove fields, last one was probably 10 years ago. Honey suckle, black berry, hedge bushes, etc, are abundant in it. Good stand of hardwoods along our creek bottom. . Quail and rabbit hunting is what we got this for. In the 80's til the early 90's , we both raised Corrientes to sell for team roping, and we also would supply the steers for ropings, rodeos etc. In the mid 90's,when team penning was al the rage here, and replaced team roping somewhat, there was a need for uniform colored cattle to use in the pennings. He and I..separately, because we live 3 hours apart, began breeding the Corrs to angus bulls, we got uniform corled, black and polled calves to sell to and supply to, people and places that held pennings. Well, teampenning has been replaced in the last 10 years, with team sorting, and the Obama depression put a big damper on that. So, we took our Corr cows and heifers we had, and turned them out on the Kudzu place. 120, never fewer than 105. Each year we bred them to b;ack bulls..angus at first, then Brangus and the last 2 times, Ultrablacks. We wanted them to calve in February, and around Easter each year, we'd out enough bulls - 6-8, in with them, and take them out memorial day, and put a cleanup Corriente bull in with them until July 4th weekend usually. In case the black bulls missed some cows, and these calves would be born in March. The most corr calves we ever got was 10, and last go round we had none. When we did have a few, we'd keep the 2-4 heifers, and sell the steer calves or take them to our respective places, because we both keep a few to rope.

Scott has 450 acres of row crop land, al fence in, across the road and won the road a little bit. We plant a 40 acre dove field on it every year, and the rest he usually pouts in cotton, peanut, beand and corn. IN November after each cropis in and we are done dove hunting, because quail and rabbit seson opnes Nov 15th, we'd trail drive over to this land, so we dint have to foll with them while hunting. End of January. we'd drive them back over to the Kudzu field where they'd calve. Toward the end of March, when the few that had Corr calves had come in,we'd round themup in our corral, cut the bull calves and turn them out. Right before dove sean, the last weekend or so in August, we'd round them up and take the calves to the sale, sometimes 2 sales. Those 2 times, well 3 counting driving the herd back across the road, was the only time we ever have contact with these cows. Corriente DO NOT have calving problems, never have to pull a calf even forma heifer. We do not feed them..hay or anaything else, We do not worm, do not vaccinate, The ONLY inputs we have, is a few bags of mineral salts, Period. We figured one time we had maybe $25k in those 120 cows. They are weaned in August at about 6 mos, Smallest heifers wil be 400-425 lbs, steers usually 450-500, Last batch we had one at 534. Last batch the steers sold from $1.40 something ( in 2021) to the highest at $1;58. The exact same as any other black steer or bull calves that day. 6 mos old just weaned Angus X Corr calves, are no different looking than a 6 mos , just weaned angus, or angus other beef cross, calf. Heifers brought probably 15 cents less. A 500 lb calf at $1.50 is $750.00. 450 lb heifer at $1.40 would be about $630. No other breed of cow , with ZERO inputs, is gonna wean a calf that brings 2 to 3 times her purchase price NONE!
People on here started popping off their mouths, mostly some Canadians and far western "cattle experts", that ''buyers can tell the difference and tried to tell ME that the calves didn;t bring that. etc. I don;t know how they look after they are weaned, and older, and on a feedlot, and don't give a damn, really. I told one of the blowhards to hop his ass on a plane the next time we wean, and bring $5k with him, and I'd pick him up in the Atlanta airport, and we'd go to the sale the day we took 50 or so of those weanling steers . I said they will be in a pen with al the other 450-600 lb steer and bull calves( down here most people don't steer, and a bull calf brings the same as steer. Most sale barns down here show a heifer category and a bull/steer category on their market reports. I said " Scooter, we will go to the sale and I want you to pick out my half-Corr calves. For everyone you get wrong you pay me $100,and I wil pay you $100 for everyone you get right. Ever how many we had carried, ususally 50 something, that's how many guesses you get. Of course that shut him up.
I even put up 5 pics of a reg Angus calf, a commercial angus, a Chi-angus, a Corr x Angus, and something else, I think a black sim or simmangus calf, and asked the group on here to pick it out. None of the "experts" got it right, the only one that did was Murray. Still the blowhard experts, the keyboard cowboys , kept poo-pooing, some coming dangerously close to calling me a liar. I have been telling Scott about how ignorant some " cattle experts "Non here are. So, we decided to offer somethin to anyone who doubts it. We will give you a year lease on the place. YOu take $30k to try to buy 100 head of your superior" cows. To start with, you can't. Or buy however many you can for $30k. YU turn them loose here, and can only see them once to castrate and once when you wean them on the trailer to the sale barn at 6 mos. No working allowed, no vaccinations, no being anywhere hear the place at calving, no feed o hay or supplements other than the salt. No bush hogging or fertilizing the pasture. You bring another $30k with you, and we will take $30k, and put the $60k in escrow. If you sell those calves at 6 mos, fresh weaned for 2 and 1/2 times what you gave for the cows..$75k... then you take the $60k escrow. If not, we keep it. You want to take us op on it, there, Hoss?!!!
There is nothing you can do, with the same amount of any other breed, for the same money that the same amount of Corr cows would cost, and with no inputs, ad only seeing them twice in a year, and no labor( bushogging, etc) and make that kind of profit. Not even close. And I don't won't to hear rebuttals, insults, etc., from the usual " experts" Put the $60k up and prove me wrong, or ****.
I am not saying do this on lush, fertilized good pasture and hay, feed and supplements and properly worming, vaccinating etc a herd of Corrs. Truth be told, it wouldn't make any difference, the calves would be no better or worse than our Kudzu herd. I am saying if you have unimproved pasture, and not much money to spend, or time and labor, there is NOTHING you can do in raising cattle that will make you more net profit.

Well, Hoss, I have 60 years experience with cattle. This whole thing came about out of jealousy, and some stupidity, because of my posts about a specific operation I have been involved with for a few decades. I have a friend and partner, since college, and he and I, 40 something years ago, bought 220 something acres of cut-over pulp wood land in south GA where he lives. . This was and still is, our rabbit and quail hunting land. It is entirely fenced with 5 stands of barb wire. Over 10 acres is grown up in pure Kidzu. WHat grass is there is Johnson grass, broom sage, and in a spot or two volunteer wheat, millet and sorghum from past dove fields, last one was probably 10 years ago. Honey suckle, black berry, hedge bushes, etc, are abundant in it. Good stand of hardwoods along our creek bottom. . Quail and rabbit hunting is what we got this for. In the 80's til the early 90's , we both raised Corrientes to sell for team roping, and we also would supply the steers for ropings, rodeos etc. In the mid 90's,when team penning was al the rage here, and replaced team roping somewhat, there was a need for uniform colored cattle to use in the pennings. He and I..separately, because we live 3 hours apart, began breeding the Corrs to angus bulls, we got uniform corled, black and polled calves to sell to and supply to, people and places that held pennings. Well, teampenning has been replaced in the last 10 years, with team sorting, and the Obama depression put a big damper on that. So, we took our Corr cows and heifers we had, and turned them out on the Kudzu place. 120, never fewer than 105. Each year we bred them to b;ack bulls..angus at first, then Brangus and the last 2 times, Ultrablacks. We wanted them to calve in February, and around Easter each year, we'd out enough bulls - 6-8, in with them, and take them out memorial day, and put a cleanup Corriente bull in with them until July 4th weekend usually. In case the black bulls missed some cows, and these calves would be born in March. The most corr calves we ever got was 10, and last go round we had none. When we did have a few, we'd keep the 2-4 heifers, and sell the steer calves or take them to our respective places, because we both keep a few to rope.

Scott has 450 acres of row crop land, al fence in, across the road and won the road a little bit. We plant a 40 acre dove field on it every year, and the rest he usually pouts in cotton, peanut, beand and corn. IN November after each cropis in and we are done dove hunting, because quail and rabbit seson opnes Nov 15th, we'd trail drive over to this land, so we dint have to foll with them while hunting. End of January. we'd drive them back over to the Kudzu field where they'd calve. Toward the end of March, when the few that had Corr calves had come in,we'd round themup in our corral, cut the bull calves and turn them out. Right before dove sean, the last weekend or so in August, we'd round them up and take the calves to the sale, sometimes 2 sales. Those 2 times, well 3 counting driving the herd back across the road, was the only time we ever have contact with these cows. Corriente DO NOT have calving problems, never have to pull a calf even forma heifer. We do not feed them..hay or anaything else, We do not worm, do not vaccinate, The ONLY inputs we have, is a few bags of mineral salts, Period. We figured one time we had maybe $25k in those 120 cows. They are weaned in August at about 6 mos, Smallest heifers wil be 400-425 lbs, steers usually 450-500, Last batch we had one at 534. Last batch the steers sold from $1.40 something ( in 2021) to the highest at $1;58. The exact same as any other black steer or bull calves that day. 6 mos old just weaned Angus X Corr calves, are no different looking than a 6 mos , just weaned angus, or angus other beef cross, calf. Heifers brought probably 15 cents less. A 500 lb calf at $1.50 is $750.00. 450 lb heifer at $1.40 would be about $630. No other breed of cow , with ZERO inputs, is gonna wean a calf that brings 2 to 3 times her purchase price NONE!
People on here started popping off their mouths, mostly some Canadians and far western "cattle experts", that ''buyers can tell the difference and tried to tell ME that the calves didn;t bring that. etc. I don;t know how they look after they are weaned, and older, and on a feedlot, and don't give a damn, really. I told one of the blowhards to hop his ass on a plane the next time we wean, and bring $5k with him, and I'd pick him up in the Atlanta airport, and we'd go to the sale the day we took 50 or so of those weanling steers . I said they will be in a pen with al the other 450-600 lb steer and bull calves( down here most people don't steer, and a bull calf brings the same as steer. Most sale barns down here show a heifer category and a bull/steer category on their market reports. I said " Scooter, we will go to the sale and I want you to pick out my half-Corr calves. For everyone you get wrong you pay me $100,and I wil pay you $100 for everyone you get right. Ever how many we had carried, ususally 50 something, that's how many guesses you get. Of course that shut him up.
I even put up 5 pics of a reg Angus calf, a commercial angus, a Chi-angus, a Corr x Angus, and something else, I think a black sim or simmangus calf, and asked the group on here to pick it out. None of the "experts" got it right, the only one that did was Murray. Still the blowhard experts, the keyboard cowboys , kept poo-pooing, some coming dangerously close to calling me a liar. I have been telling Scott about how ignorant some " cattle experts "Non here are. So, we decided to offer somethin to anyone who doubts it. We will give you a year lease on the place. YOu take $30k to try to buy 100 head of your superior" cows. To start with, you can't. Or buy however many you can for $30k. YU turn them loose here, and can only see them once to castrate and once when you wean them on the trailer to the sale barn at 6 mos. No working allowed, no vaccinations, no being anywhere hear the place at calving, no feed o hay or supplements other than the salt. No bush hogging or fertilizing the pasture. You bring another $30k with you, and we will take $30k, and put the $60k in escrow. If you sell those calves at 6 mos, fresh weaned for 2 and 1/2 times what you gave for the cows..$75k... then you take the $60k escrow. If not, we keep it. You want to take us op on it, there, Hoss?!!!
There is nothing you can do, with the same amount of any other breed, for the same money that the same amount of Corr cows would cost, and with no inputs, ad only seeing them twice in a year, and no labor( bushogging, etc) and make that kind of profit. Not even close. And I don't won't to hear rebuttals, insults, etc., from the usual " experts" Put the $60k up and prove me wrong, or ****.
I am not saying do this on lush, fertilized good pasture and hay, feed and supplements and properly worming, vaccinating etc a herd of Corrs. Truth be told, it wouldn't make any difference, the calves would be no better or worse than our Kudzu herd. I am saying if you have unimproved pasture, and not much money to spend, or time and labor, there is NOTHING you can do in raising cattle that will make you more net profit.
Warren I don't doubt you for a second, I just want to know why we are up at 3:15am talking about cattle. 😂 My back is killing me and I can't sleep.

You can't seriously think I'm going to read all that? You really spend way too much time trying to convince everyone how smart you are.

How much less could you take for a calf who's dam required 1/3 the forage, was purchased for 1/3 the price and required one third the calving attention,worming and other per cow expenses?
Back up and think about this statement a minute, it is a bit extreme a 1/3 reduction in cost would sound better to me. Where would we be if we could reduce costs 10, 20, or 30 percent and still produce a good calf that sold well?

Back couple months or so ago while at the stockyards, saw a couple longhorn type heifer calves weighing around 250 brought $1.00. Don't know what the story was but I don't think there's any money in that exact venture.
Crosses will sell some better, I bought a longhorn cross heifer and paid for her with her first calf out of an Angus bull.
He did get docked some, and was lighter weight than other calves his age. It's easy to identify that kind of breeding, and buyers are good at what they do. I believe it's leaving some money on the table, due to dock and lighter weight calves.

Also at another stockyards about that same time, saw some large groups of big steers sell. A very mixed group of around 200 head 800 lbs steers. Very few black calves, mainly white Charolais Herefords, various reds, painted beefmasters, white backed longhorn crosses. As the seller said every breed was represented. They brought around 15 cents under what the other groups of black or black and Charx were brining.
The only reason they didn't get docked more was there was a large group. I imagine they were bought cheaply one or two at a time and bunch up.

You can't seriously think I'm going to read all that? You really spend way too much time trying to convince everyone how smart you are.
ROFLMAO. Well, maybe you can find someone to read it to you, help you with the big words, etc. Not trying to show anyone anything at all about how smart I am or am not. Just showing everyone how ignorant and full of bull excrement you are, Skippy.

Back up and think about this statement a minute, it is a bit extreme a 1/3 reduction in cost would sound better to me. Where would we be if we could reduce costs 10, 20, or 30 percent and still produce a good calf that sold well?
Grass/pasture/hay/feed costs are the biggest expense of raising cattle, especially if you're a cow/calf operation and carry cattle through the winter. If you can improve the feed efficiency of your cattle that could add to your bottom line. Most research has been in the area of feedlot efficiency which doesn't help the majority of cattle raiser as much. It's a long-winded way of saying that I agree with you. Costs matter as much as revenue.

Grass/pasture/hay/feed costs are the biggest expense of raising cattle, especially if you're a cow/calf operation and carry cattle through the winter. If you can improve the feed efficiency of your cattle that could add to your bottom line. Most research has been in the area of feedlot efficiency which doesn't help the majority of cattle raiser as much. It's a long-winded way of saying that I agree with you. Costs matter as much as revenue.
But don't reduce cost at the expense of revenue.

We all agree on something.

Admittedly I have not perused through all the contributions above but as regards the supposed value of black hided cattle
I have yet to meet the person who could tell you with a 100% accuracy the color of the animal by the taste of the meat.

There are probably grounds for one of the largest class action suits in the history of USA jurisprudence regarding the sale
of cattle based solely on the color of an animal being sold for human consumption.
Once this gets into court and the black hided proponents are required to convince the court that taste will identify color the
ruling will make [Brown vs. the BOE] look like a traffic offense.

But don't reduce cost at the expense of revenue.
@Dave here's a portion of the latest market report from OKC National Stockyards.
1670604137860.png
I think it demonstrates that the buyers are willing to pay for quality. In the highlighted area the "fancy" calves brought 14.8% higher price per lb compared to a comparable sized ordinary calf. For his 90 head lot he extracted $12,270 more than the market average for his quality. Buyers recognize and pay for quality. The only question that I have is what did it cost him to get to this level of quality?

I
Admittedly I have not perused through all the contributions above but as regards the supposed value of black hided cattle
I have yet to meet the person who could tell you with a 100% accuracy the color of the animal by the taste of the meat.

There are probably grounds for one of the largest class action suits in the history of USA jurisprudence regarding the sale
of cattle based solely on the color of an animal being sold for human consumption.
Once this gets into court and the black hided proponents are required to convince the court that taste will identify color the
ruling will make [Brown vs. the BOE] look like a traffic offense.
Highly doubt it.

Latest posts