longhorn cross cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan indicated that it was easier to breed for horn than for conformation with longhorns. Guess we agree to disagree to some extent:

For example: If one is breeding "Butler" longhorns, then yes, their propensity for horn appears to be dominant. And, you get a leaner look, small behind/hip, etc.

On the other hand, if you breed the "heavier" bodied longhorns to each other (with "body" genetics), then you tend to produce body most of the time.

In sum, in all fairness to all longhorn breeders, you have to know and use your genetics to produce what you are shooting for and select those "conformation" components that contribute to your program. Of the "original" 7 Families of longhorns, they all had different characteristics--throughout the decades, "mix & match", and purposeful line-breeding and out-crossing have produced the many styles and configurations of longhorns we see today--but, they are "still longhorns." ;-)

KANSAS":25k5r8g9 said:
Ok... no more fighting please... I really want to see some longhorn cross pics...

ha ha ... i guess this thread got a lil off topic... to say the least... i too would like to see more longhorn cross pics...

Speaking of crosses, Kansas. Did you see those black heifers that Tim Miller had at the B&C Sale? They were a polled black 3 way cross of Longhorn, Angus and Limousin. I don't have the sale catalog in front of me, can't remember the percentage of each breed?? Think they were 1/4 Longhorn. They looked like a black Limo type of cow to me, seems like they had some legginess to them. The Longhorn blood was not really visible but they would have the good birthing traits and mothering abilities anyway. Think they brought $950 a piece. Bet they'd do good with a Char bull on em.

I saw pictures of em, but did not see em in person. All I know is as a kid our best mommas and easiest to take care of were longhorn cross mommas.

More Pics... More Pics......

100_0868.jpg

Here' a heifer calf at about two months old out of Longhorn cow and Brangus bull. I need to get a recent picture of her. She's weaned now and has grown out well. Made a good, stocky heifer.

Tod Dague":34vfl41x said:
Rustler9":34vfl41x said:
I'm not going to beat on a dead horse any more either but anyone can see that there are two distinct varieties or sub-varieties to the Longhorn breed. The show cattle that have been transformed into an animal that looks more like some of the other beef breeds than what they started out as and the horned cattle. Anything can be taken to extremes-horn or body. But, when an animal can hardly be distinguished as to what breed it is I think they may have gone too far in improving or whatever you'd like to call it. I will continue to try to breed for body and horn and still keep Longhorn characteristics in my cattle.
It is the Longhorns that are all horn and no body that have created such a bias against Longhorns being anything but an ornamental breed. The beef industry is about producing beef. For Longhorns to be accepted as a viable beef breed they are going to have to be able to produce beef.

:clap:
missed this post previously... didnt see it til i did a lil re-reading

Longhorns will never be able to compete with the main stream breeds of today unless they are crossbred. That's what this whole thread is about. Unless someone has a niche market for lean beef and many people do and are successful at it they will not be able to sell straight Longhorns at the sale barn without taking a hard lick.

Here's a question for you Ryan. What do you do with your Longhorns besides market them as show animals? Do you also sell ropers and Longhorn beef? I assume you sell some across the scales, I think I've seen you mention running some through the sale barn. How does Sand Dollar animals do at the sale barn? Do ya'll do any cross breeding for market cattle? I don't think that the type of cattle ya'll are breeding fit into sales such as the Horn Showcase etc. Just wondering.

Rustler9":q5uq3ixg said:
Longhorns will never be able to compete with the main stream breeds of today unless they are crossbred.

Why not? I think if breeders tried, through selection, management and strict culling that longhorns could compete with some other breeds. Maybe not next year, but down the road.

Here's a question for you Ryan. What do you do with your Longhorns besides market them as show animals? Do you also sell ropers and Longhorn beef? I assume you sell some across the scales, I think I've seen you mention running some through the sale barn. How does Sand Dollar animals do at the sale barn? Do ya'll do any cross breeding for market cattle? I don't think that the type of cattle ya'll are breeding fit into sales such as the Horn Showcase etc. Just wondering.

Outside of show animals: We sell as seedstock/replacement animals...have done very well with this the last few years. We also sell some to be beef, we dont actually market any beef ourselves. And yes, we do send some across the scales. If we do not feel they are worth being a replacement in our herd, for various reasons, we will send them across the scales. We do decent, comparatively, at the sale barn. Usually just off the average off all comparable calves, but usually not the bottom of the barrel prices. We don't do any crossbreeding, and do not sell at the Horn Showcase sales b/c like you said our breeding is not structured for that market, for instance (although we do have some animals that I think would do good at those sales).

We have consigned animals to 2 sales.... the inaugural Select Heifer Sale and one of the West sales. And both times the animals brought more than what it would have taken to buy them at the ranch, so i guess we did good sendingt hem to those sales. We might consign some to some sales this spring, maybe venture into the sales a little bit more... dont know that for sure though. Do have 2 millenium futurity eligible heifers, might see about putting one of them into the sale, they are both pretty nice heifers.

Ryan

Latest posts