Longhorn colors

Help Support CattleToday:

rancherswife

Reaction score
Here are a couple of our May calves. Most of the ones out of our bull are like the ones on the left. We got a few solid colors too. Then we got the one on the right. Just goes to show...ya never know what ya might get!
I think it might take me a while to figure out the description on her papers :oops:
478a6926.jpg

7e514508.jpg

Good looking calves, rancherswife. I would say the one on the right would be "dark red and white paint" and the one on the left would be "brown head and speckles". Good lookin little ones.

Ryan

Love all the chrome, history and stamina of Longhorns. Just curious what the market is for them other than selling to other Longhorn breeders. I know they make great heifer bulls and trophy steers. Any other options?

bullpeddler":1eb5onve said:
Love all the chrome, history and stamina of Longhorns. Just curious what the market is for them other than selling to other Longhorn breeders. I know they make great heifer bulls and trophy steers. Any other options?

They work real well in rough country. Thrive on just about anything. They have great maternal instincts. Having some Longhorn influence in a crossbred female can be very good. I have friends that have herds comprised of Longhorn and Charolais, and some with Angus and Longhorn and all are very happy with their calves. Easy calving, disease resistant, and easy to manage.

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who leased a place a couple of years ago and the longhorn cows went with the place. He is using a charlois bull on those cows and the calves are pretty good.

awww Thanks :lol:

Those are my spoiled ones. I have 5 babies that come a runnin when they see me out there. The rest just kind of stay out with their mama's. I'm not that interesting to them.
They all have such different attitudes. I would say that little heifer in the first pic on the right is my favorite this year. She is so sweet and can be such a showoff. It's been really hot so I have some big rainbirds out in the pasture(dirt) for misting. She loves to run through them and act silly. The other calves look at her like she's nuts :shock: