longhorn cattle $$

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

how much are nice long horn cattle worth bred about 6-7 months plus longhorn calves about 1yr old

jake555":3h1ld5mf said:
how much are nice long horn cattle worth bred about 6-7 months plus longhorn calves about 1yr old

depends on who you ask. :lol:

well we have about 7 of them here in wisconsin and everyone says they are not worth anything they say there meat taste bad does it

Jake555
They are worth something. They maybe more difficult to market. The difference is that on an average they are low marbeling cattle. I've never owned any however my neighbor runs about 200 along with the rest of his 1000 head commercial herd. He sells them in uniform bunches and tries to take the color out of them. He claims they are his most profitable cattle because of their milking ability and health. If your cattle are marked like longhorns and are of lesser quality try marketing them to someone as roping breed stock.

The meat is lean not necessarliy bad you just can't cook it completely done. Their is a lack of marbling so it makes it tough if it's overcooked.

The worth of your cattle really depends on alot.. are they registered? if not can they be registered? Horn? alot? color? bloodlines? How old are they? Who are they bred to? All those things come into play.. Longhorns can go from $500 - to the sky.. THe more horn and color, they more they are worth.

As far as the meat goes.. it is very good.. contrary to what you have been told.

Where in Wisconsin are you? If you go to this site
http://www.itla.com then go to the members page, you can see LH producers in your region.. most have email addresses, you may contact any of them.. never know.. also there is an Events page that will let you know of any sales coming up.

The calves you have.. what kind of horn do they have? to be ropers, they really need horn to or just past the ear.. and weigh 300-400 #.. that is when you will get the most for them.

Of course you could also keep them.. they do cross bred well and do very well on there own.

most my longhorns have color on there head and rest is almost white then there are spotted ones there not registered dont think they can be is there a way to know if they are pure bred longhorns? i changed my username wont let me reply with other one its my first time on here dont know what iam doing sorry

As to knowing if they are pure bred Longhorns, unless you know where they came from to ask the previous owners if they ever had papers.. you would need to do blood testing. which can be a bit spendy. Unless they have a brand and a herd# brand.. in which case you might be able to track them. Also if they have a OCV tag on the ear.. many times that tag # is contained in the animals registration. There are 3 Longhorn registries, they are ITLA, TLBAA and CTTR. Otherwise, there is no real way to find out without blood testing.

There are folks who do buy them unregistered.. unless you sell them at the sale barn..then it really depends on your area as to the prices.

jake1111":2ia702ix said:
most my longhorns have color on there head and rest is almost white then there are spotted ones there not registered dont think they can be is there a way to know if they are pure bred longhorns? i changed my username wont let me reply with other one its my first time on here dont know what iam doing sorry

Any longhorn that one obtains that isn't branded or has a P/H (private herd) number on it ISN'T registered. Furthermore, chances are the seller wasn't running a registered herd and/or didn't care that much about "Who their Mama and Daddy Was." If you get one of those...well...one's best chances is to sell it as a roper or for the freezer. Attempting to backtrack their lineage to get one registered is probably a waste of time and money. Also, Longhorns today are essentially composite of several longhorn families (except a few remaining closed herds such as Butler, Wildlife Refuge, etc.). Purebred Longhorns (of any lineage) always have a paper trail....(can be a few exceptions with individual animals of course).

txag":1n9grncw said:
jake555":1n9grncw said:

depends on who you ask. :lol:

If the Longhorn has decent conformation, all its parts are present, and assuming it doesn't have an attitude problem...Try $500. and up to $$$$.

I certainly wouldn't touch a 6-7 mo old heifer that was bred!!! If you're talking about a cow or heifer that is 6-7 months ALONG in pregnancy, well that's another issue.

to Running Arrow...

I am not suggesting that Jake should blood test his LH's.. but he asked how one would determine it. The CTTR registry "reguires" testing for purity, and the TLBAA requires it for AI herd sires. Here is a link on testing http://www.luckysnlranch.com/articles/23.html

Blood testing costs around $30.00 per head from ImmGen, Inc and DNA testing is around $28.00 per head from same.

I have to disagree that a LH that is not registered, it's owner probably did not know who the parents were. I know several producers, who do not register their animals and for a variety of reasons. One particular producers raises only meat animals and the registration fee is a waste of money for him, another only stock for rodeos events.. again a waste of $$. But they do in fact know who the parents are.

Dyann":3d1crf1d said:
to Running Arrow...

I have to disagree that a LH that is not registered, it's owner probably did not know who the parents were. I know several producers, who do not register their animals and for a variety of reasons. One particular producers raises only meat animals and the registration fee is a waste of money for him, another only stock for rodeos events.. again a waste of $$. But they do in fact know who the parents are.

Ok Dyann...agree with your comment above (guess I generalized too much). YES there are some LH breeders that are NOT into Seedstock operation or that are NOT interested in registering their animals. AND, every animal does not need to be registered. Agree...if you're only raising meat, rodeo stock, or related, no one really cares whether the animal is registered or not. Guess the important issue here is to make sure you keep "generic" stock separate from other stock so you don't lose track of who the calf came from [in case you decide to register it later] (especially when you are running large herds and can't monitor each one daily).

Personally, if I have a calf (or calves) that is only worth $300 to $400 (aka roper stock) I had rather eat it than sell it for that!

Incidentally, the small fee of $15. or so to register an animal is a drop in the bucket (assuming the animal is worth registering) compared to the increased "value" a registered animal can bring compared with a "per pound" LH or any other breed of bovine.

The $15.00 or so fee to register the Longhorn does not always mean more $$... If you are selling at the sale barn, they dont give a flip.. if you are selling as a roper.. they dont give a flip.. if you are eating it, no one gives a flip.. why spend the money???

As to keeping recreational stock separate.. why? Unless you run multiple bulls in the same pasture, you will know who belongs to who. Additionally, the ropers, the meat animals, etc often come from offspring of your registered stock.. they just did not make the cut. .or you can just keep so many bulls or so many steers..etc.

Latest posts