longhorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

texasgal

Reaction score
How many longhorns can I safely graze on about 20 acres? The land is in northwest Texas and is somewhat rocky but with plenty of native grasses. There is a creek running through the property, too.

Welcome to the Boards. Glad to have another Longhorn raiser aboard. I've been in the Longhorn business some 17years now.

I'm not the best to ask about the number per acre. I would think that your county extention agent would probably be the best source since he, or she, can come out and check out the place. There are a lot of good folks on here that can help you out with this better than I can.

Ryan

You usually can safely run more Longhorns per acre than other breeds as long as the pasture is good and there's adequate rainfall to keep the grass growing. Are you planning on running adult cattle or cow/calf pairs? I would think probably nine or ten cows and maybe a bull. I believe the recommeded amount is one cow/calf unit per 2 1/2 acres but that may also vary by region; growing season etc. You may want to check with your local county agricultre extension office for more accurate information. Good to have another Longhorn person on the board-hope you enjoy it here. :D

Welcome aboard!

Lot depends on your pasture condition and maintenance, pasture rotation, etc. I'm originally from NE Texas in Denton County. Lot more grass & trees than in West Texas...lol.

Depends on if you are using Longhorns for intensive seedstock production, self-sufficient on pasture with a few supplements as needed, or other situation.

We're on 23 acres and are running a registered seedstock operation with 19 cows, 3 bulls, and presently 16 calves. We are obviously overstocked! However, we do rotational grazing in our small pasture areas (have 10), alleyways. Irrigate about 8 to 10 acres of native bermudagrass. Feed hay and high quality minerals year around. All of our animals are in very good condition. Takes a lot of effort, yet we are pulling it off. Average rainfall in our area is about 20-25". You have much more rain and grass in NE Texas!

Longhorns are very efficient foragers and will keep your weeds down (but not eliminated) also. They convert forage very well into maintenance & gain.

Thanks Ryan, Rustler9 and Running Arrow Bill for your replies!
Wow! What a great resource for a fledgling cowgirl. I am just getting my land ready to start up; still have a lot of work to do before I actually start buying a herd. I look forward to visiting with you all, and thank you very kindly for your help!

"Average rainfall is 20"-25" annually.

Average being the key word here. We had 45" last yr and have gotten less than 10" this yr. Pastures are looking mighty dry right now.

Heck, I had to mow my place a couple times last summer, as the cows couldnt keep up with it, and now this summer it looks like I might be putting out some hay if things dont turn around pretty soon.

By the way Bill, I never realized you were from Denton county!
Where abouts did you live? I've been here for close to 20 yrs now.

Speaking of Denton Co. I lived there from fall 02 to spring 04. Went to UNT for a couple of years before headin down here to A&M. And, I've got lots of family that live there, too. When I was in high school (40 min west of Denton), Denton and Lewisville where about the closest malls and movie theatres we got to go to.

Small World.

Ryan

texasgal":1fi7ei81 said:
Thanks Ryan, Rustler9 and Running Arrow Bill for your replies!
Wow! What a great resource for a fledgling cowgirl. I am just getting my land ready to start up; still have a lot of work to do before I actually start buying a herd. I look forward to visiting with you all, and thank you very kindly for your help!

Keep us updated on your land and herd, always love to hear from other longhorn breeders.

Ryan

eric":38vktpfu said:
"Average rainfall is 20"-25" annually.

Average being the key word here. We had 45" last yr and have gotten less than 10" this yr. Pastures are looking mighty dry right now.

Heck, I had to mow my place a couple times last summer, as the cows couldnt keep up with it, and now this summer it looks like I might be putting out some hay if things dont turn around pretty soon.

By the way Bill, I never realized you were from Denton county!
Where abouts did you live? I've been here for close to 20 yrs now.

Grew up on about 400 Acre farm about 3 mi S. of Justin (brother & me still have about 100 A of it on a separate tract that is leased out @ HWY 114 & FM 156 about 2 mi W. of Tex. Motor Speedway.) Dad was dryland farmer who also raised registered Angus & Herefords. I graduated from Northwest High School (Justin) in 1956, BS in Denton at NTSU, later degrees @ Sul Ross State U. & Colo. State U. Definitely a 3rd generation native Texan...lol.

Heck Ryan, you were in my neighbor hood then, I live in Flower Mound, right off FM 407. Daughter went to Marcus high school, now at TCU.

Bill, I was over at the Justin Seed store Saturday morning, buying some minerals and lick tubs. Might even be the same owners that had it when you lived there. I used to buy my hay from a guy in Ponder, the Vista Ranch. Right off 156 by the railroad tracks. You wouldnt believe the gas wells that have popped up all over that area nowadays. Krum/Ponder/Justin is plum full of the wells every few miles it seems.

eric":2r7c1ip2 said:
Heck Ryan, you were in my neighbor hood then, I live in Flower Mound, right off FM 407. Daughter went to Marcus high school, now at TCU.

I went down FM 407 all the time. My roommate worked at the Compus Bank on that road, and we used to eat at the El Chico and Cafe 407 right there all the time.

Ryan

eric":1xaauevz said:

Bill, I was over at the Justin Seed store Saturday morning, buying some minerals and lick tubs. Might even be the same owners that had it when you lived there. I used to buy my hay from a guy in Ponder, the Vista Ranch. Right off 156 by the railroad tracks. You wouldnt believe the gas wells that have popped up all over that area nowadays. Krum/Ponder/Justin is plum full of the wells every few miles it seems.

Yes the Justin Seed store is a fixture in Justin. 2nd (perhaps 3rd now?) generation Talley's. Also the Hendersons and all of their holdings. Have a lot of memories about Justin: "Good, Bad, & The Ugly"... lol. Yes, there are a lot of natural gas deposits in SW Denton county.

In the 40's and 50's Justin was just another one of those "Father Knows Best" ultra-conservative, God-fearing, scripture toting wide spots in the road that had about one birth (or newcomer) to about every death. No growth. Then, things changed, baby-boomers buying "Ranchettes", another bedroom community, etc. Haven't been back there in several years...probably lot changed by now. Old farmers/ranchers dying off and kids selling off the homesteads to smaller tracts, etc. Then there is the impact of Alliance Airport and all of Ross Perot's and RP Junior's holdings, developments, etc. Same thing is happening (happened) to Haslet, Roanoke, Ponder, Drop, Argyle, Rhome, and all rest of the small "wide spots in the road".