Longhorn cattle at salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
I have not sold any longhorn cattle at a local livestock sale, but I was talking with the man I work for and told him that longhorn cattle will be docked if sold through one of the local sale barns (West-TX, Clifton-TX, Meridian-TX, etc).

Can anyone give me some rough numbers on how much a longhorn steer/heifer might get docked? For example, if a 500# steer possibly brought $1.15 as indicated below, what would you think a 500# longhorn steer would bring at the same sale?

The market report at West-TX sale

MARKET REPORT OF TOTAL HEAD: 1162
Market Analysis for sale of 03/18/04:
#1 TYPE STEERS
200# - 300# ---------------------------------- $120.00 $150.00 per cwt.
300# - 400# ---------------------------------- $110.00 $144.00 per cwt.
400# - 500# ---------------------------------- $100.00 $131.00 per cwt.
500# - 600# ---------------------------------- $95.00 $115.00 per cwt.
600# - 700# ---------------------------------- $80.00 $105.00 per cwt.

#1 TYPE HEIFERS
200# - 300# --------------------------------- $110.00 $146.00 per cwt.
300# - 400# --------------------------------- $105.00 $131.00 per cwt.
400# - 500# --------------------------------- $97.00 $121.00 per cwt.
500# - 600# --------------------------------- $90.00 $110.00 per cwt.
600# - 700# --------------------------------- $85.00 $100.00 per cwt.

In my area .to your east about 300 miles they typically bring can and cutter prices at the sale barn. This typically runs .35 to .50 cents a lb. We have very few longhorns just no market except as ornamental or hobby by private treaty. Longhorns are the only breed over here that take a bigger hit than Brahman. Now I wouldn't knock a breed everything has it's place. I am glad there are still longhorn breeders they are beautiful cattle and part of our state heritage. Years ago I ran brahman crosses loved the cattle, had to switch to herefords just couldn't take the beating at the sale barn.

Thanks for your comments. I would like to here others opinions on this also.

This discussion was brought up when I was talking to the owner of the ranch where I live about marketing his herd of longhorn cattle (most of which are registered). I told him that I thought the best market for longhorn cattle was by selling them private treaty, right out of the pasture, and even that market seems to be somewhat limited. It seems to be a niche market to me, unlike the commercial cattle market where you can take a uniform bunch of calves to the local sale a command a good price these days.

The reason I asked the question above was to get feedback from other individuals who have seen longhorns run thru their local sale. I told him to go to the local sale at West tomorrow and see what cattle are bringing and if any longhorns came through, to pay attention how much less they bought.

I've seen them docked terribly, to the point of being punitive. The last few times I remember seeing Longhorns go thru the ring (and it's not often) it seems like they were knocking off 30 to 45 cents. I seriously doubt whether the buyers "need" to dock them all that hard to come out profitably on the carcass, but suspect that they do it because they can get away with it. Campground is right, they will hurt you worse than if you were selling Bramers.

There is a lot of DFW money coming into the area and buying places for weekends and retirement. They don't have a clue about cattle but want something impressive looking in the front pasture. That's a big part of what's driving land prices to such crazy heights. If you can sell into that sucker market and make some money, power to you. But if you are wanting to ranch and be a producer in the real cattle market Longhorns are the kiss of death.

Craig-TX

why are the brahman's being docked? I have a couple of calves from a beefmaster cow/ angus bull which I will be selling this summer. Should I expect any docking for the brahman influence in them? The calves look more angus than anything, but have a little brown / white on their bellies.

them beefmasterxangus calves should sell great. i just sold some bmxchar 400# 4 to 5 mounths old for 1.26 cents pound.i was grinning like a possum.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

its funny...I noticed if the Longhorns were dehorned the prices for them is nearly the same(do sell for a bit more) as horned Longhorns. I have seen polled or dehorned cattle brings far more than horned cattle (and I can see why!!!!). Just thought I share my thoughts.

TXBobcat --- I was just looking over the tax info for a client that keeps a few longhorns on his place near Kerrville in order to qualify for the ag exemption. He sold 3 Longhorn calves in 2003 at the Gillespie Livestock Co. auction barn in Fredericksburg, Tx. as follows:

On 6/11/03 a 360 pound bull calf broght 78 cents
On 12/3/03 a 910 pound bull calf brought 62 cents
On 12/3/03 a 435 pound bull calf brought 70 cents

Sorry, but I have no idea what representative calves that were straight English, Continental or various crosses sold for on those dates at that sale barn.

Among the reasons that Brahmans and many of their crosses get docked as to the price per pound are that they won't marble to nearly the extent that English cattle will and the Warner-Bratzler shear test studies show their carcasses, generally speaking, to be tougher than those of other breeds. But the MARC studies also indicate that if you keep the Brahman influence to no more than 25% there should be dramatic improvements in marbling, tenderness, etc. That's why so many buyers stipulate that they want no calves with more than 25% Brahman. But I think there are many more issues to consider with respect to Brahmans and their crosses, beyond the scope of what I have time to comment about at this time.

Eric, I think you will do just fine with calves out of Beefmaster cows bred to a black Angus bull. You might get a few pennies per pound less than straight Angus bring at the particular barn on that day, but I'd bet that your crossbred calves will weigh a little more than if you had raised a straight Angus calves sired by that same Angus bull, under the exact same circumstances on your place.

Arnold Ziffle

Oregonian":oulazud8 said:
its funny...I noticed if the Longhorns were dehorned the prices for them is nearly the same(do sell for a bit more) as horned Longhorns. I have seen polled or dehorned cattle brings far more than horned cattle (and I can see why!!!!). Just thought I share my thoughts.

A longhorn is a longhorn with or without the horns. The horns are worth more in my book than the calf or cow.

eric":1thweqcs said:
why are the brahman's being docked? I have a couple of calves from a beefmaster cow/ angus bull which I will be selling this summer. Should I expect any docking for the brahman influence in them? The calves look more angus than anything, but have a little brown / white on their bellies.

Craig is right, if a calf has too much ear or hump they mark them down 10 - 15 % right away. But I believe a little Brahma is a good thing, they stand the heat better, really hustle after brouse ( keep minerial & salt out and they'll eat the tops out of pine trees ) are good mamma cows. I've been taking a hit for the last few years at the sale trying to get my herd where I want it. I've switched to a black Limousin Bull now and the calves hitting the ground now are going to do really well I hope.
;-)

Tc":rbroeamz said:
them beefmasterxangus calves should sell great. i just sold some bmxchar 400# 4 to 5 mounths old for 1.26 cents pound.i was grinning like a possum.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

TC, everything I have read on here and heard from most folks led me to believe that it was best to sell the calves @ 7-8 mos old, after weaning and after about a month of grain feeding. So I am curious why you decided to sell your calves @ 4-5 mos old, since they probably weren't weaned yet? Did you plan on selling at a certain weight and they just hit the weight early, or is there another reason?

We don't do the Sale Barn gig... would rather eat the animal!

We do sell "Longhorn Beef" (no pun intended) on the hoof...for $1. a pound (for those that we don't want to sell as breeding stock) at present time. Otherwise, all sales are via private treaty--including bulls for cross-breeding to commercial cattle.

The overall Longhorn market (across all breeders) includes (but not limited to):

• 1. Seedstock for Longhorn breeders
    2. Bulls for cross-breeding
    3. Heifers and cows to other LH breeders who want certain pedigrees
    4. Color patterns to other breeders for color changes in their herd
    5. Longhorn hides
    6. Longhorn horn and shoulder mounts and other body parts
    7. Weekend "ranchers" who want a pasture ornament
    8. Steers to be trained for riding (for parades, etc.)
    9. Low end steers for ropers
    10. "Beef" for customers wanting very lean meat
    11. Absentee "ranchers" for tax exemption on their land with low maintenance cattle
    12. Absentee "ranchers" who "buy" a Longhorn but leave it at the breeders for boarding so they can get tax write-off
    13. Etc.

;-) :cboy: :) 8)

TXBobcat":6bo4c75s said:
I have not sold any longhorn cattle at a local livestock sale, but I was talking with the man I work for and told him that longhorn cattle will be docked if sold through one of the local sale barns (West-TX, Clifton-TX, Meridian-TX, etc).

Can anyone give me some rough numbers on how much a longhorn steer/heifer might get docked? For example, if a 500# steer possibly brought $1.15 as indicated below, what would you think a 500# longhorn steer would bring at the same sale?

The market report at West-TX sale

If you are going to take your longhorns to the sale barn in West, you should consider taking them on a Saturday when there is a commercial longhorn sale. The sales are held at the West sale barn and I think that anyone can trake commercial longhorn cattle to the sale. contact Larry Barker at the TLBAA (817-625-6241) for more details. I take most of my bull calves there at weaning (6 months) and average $300 per head. This way you get a buyer who is looking specifically for longhorn cattle. Most of them go to roping but some of the more beefier ones go into feeding programs.

I have been to the last 3 Longhorn sales at West. The ranch has bought 2 registered cows and a heifer from there. After the registered sale, I notice they always have a commercial Longhorn sale. That might be one option to sell any unregistered bull calves that we don't sell private treaty, because as you said, all the buyers know it is a Longhorn only sale.

You said you take most of your bull calves there. Are they registered or sold as commercial? Just wondering if you, and any other Longhorn breeders that would like to comment, register each calf in your herd? Do you skip a generation every now and then? What are the opinions of the associations on this (TLBA and ITLBA)?

I sell my bull calves as commercial cattle. I am very choosy on what I will keep and sell as a bull or even a trophy steer prospect. I do not register these animals because it is not worth the money since the people buying them will use them as ropers or beef. I do, on occassion, take a registered cow to West. Ususally, I am culling her for one reason or another and will sell her off in the commercial sale. I do not use the registered sale to get rid of my problem or cull cattle. The people buying in the registered sale are looking for breeding stock and not problems. An older cow in the commercial sale will not bring much money because she will end up as hamburger. In that case, you may do just as well selling her at the local sale barn (I've not tried it).

longhorns are no different than any other cattle when they get dumped off at the sale barn. if that is your entire marketing program then you are not getting any premium prices either. the job of the order buyer is to get the cattle as cheaply as possible, and use any excuse to do it. cow too fat , cow too thin, calf has too much ear, too much color, not enough white on face , too much white on face, knees looked big(veal problem), calf too big, calf too light, cow had attitude, looked "off"in the eye, etc. look at pics of feedlot cattle obviously they don't care about color at that point because you see every color and combination of colors in the feed lot.even cattle with horns that don't look "longhorn". if they are healthy, eat grow and walk down the kill alley that is an animal on which a profit can be made.the cheaper they can get them the more profit. even when we are talking a few dollars per head , in volume it all adds up. the producers of whatever breed or cross that are making money are the ones who market what they have. for instance my longhorn calves go to a guy who feeds only longhorns then markets longhorn beef. he does very well and so do i. if i dumped these same calves at the sale barn i wouldn't get half what i do. too many people jump into the cattle business with out a clue as to what they are going to do when it comes time to sell a few then they get screwed at the sale barn, often times not even realizing it. it only takes a little planning and a few connections to greatly increase the potential profits. ok now i am falling off my soapbox.

dale":3io1wtho said:
for instance my longhorn calves go to a guy who feeds only longhorns then markets longhorn beef. he does very well and so do i.

Some very good points Dale. I agree with all. I know the local sale barn is not a good place to sell longhorns, that is, if you want a decent price.

I am taking care of some Longhorns for the ranch I live on, and over the past few months, have learned a lot about the breed. One point you touched on is the Longhorn lean meat market, which I have heard others talk about as well. I have tried to research this area for marketing Longhorns, but I'm still not sure how a producer would get their foot in the door, so to speak.

Are there only individuals here and there that would buy the beef, or is there a bigger market somewhere I don't know about?

eric- i usally sell my calves at around 7 mounths.i run a year round calfing season.for my situation its just to mutch money an trouble keeping herd bulls seprated from the cows.the three smaller calves were mixed in with the big ones and ran down the shoot when before i could get them out.so i just went ahead and sold them.i ended up making about the same off the lighter calves as the bigger ones.i dont ween an grain my calves.i just take them right off mama to the sale.ive tryed both ways an did not get any return on the extra money an time spent weening.~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Latest posts