Longhorn cattle at salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

Sold some hereford calves today averaged 1.25 on 400 pound calves. To get back to the post 2 longhorns came through at .37 cents a pound 400 to 500 pound range.

I aquired some longhorns from the guy I bought my land from and kept them around for the heck of it. Their calves bring between 82 and 88 cents a lb. for a 400-500lb calve here. They actually did better than I ever thought.

The point I didn't make is the buyers are docking them because they can. These longhorns are bound for Greely Co. just like all the others to make steak and hamburger.

I sold about 15 longhorns last month at the sale barn.. Two different trips.. Low price was .89 and high was 1.15.. most were at .98 -1.05 per pound.. They were all calves, both heifers and bull calves, 300-400 puond range.

Pretty large spreads in prices being mentioned here but there was also probably a big difference in the quality of the calves being sold at the prices mentioned. But possibly with Longhorns, more so than with any other breeds of cattle, it makes a real difference which particular barn you sell at. Some you probably need to avoid like the plague.

As to the spread in prices and different sale barns.. that is true.. however, there is another "truth" in Longhorns at sale barns. Many LH producers decide that certain animals will be roper prospects or other low enders.. which we all do.. but.. they take the worst of the worst to the sale barn, they dont do the usual (worming, etc) to these animals.. they are just kinda ignored until they haul them off. Most look like hell .. then they complain about .60 per pound.. well some of the ones I have seen at sale barns, I would not give .02 a pound for.. and I am a Longhorn producer. My sale barn prospects are treated no different than my keepers. When I select potential roping stock, I select for what the market is looking for and usually get more per pound (.25 -.50 more) on my LHs than other sale barn longhorns. I pay attention to horn base, horn length, weight, etc. Anything that does not make that cut, usually ends up in the freezer.

One part of your response reaaly struck a chord with me. "treated no different than my keepers". My old mentor was a dairyman, he used an ANgus or Hereford bull on his heifers. All the cross calves I hauled to the salebran for him, except for the half that I kept myself. Holstein bull calves sold for around 2-3 dollars, cross calf ehifers around 25-50, bulls 75-100. Holstein heifers were never sold unless it had to be pulled or were twins. None freemartins were alwasy kept for table beef. Every calf born was treated exactly the same. Scour boluses as soon as they were brought up, 3 full days (6 feedings) of cholstrum, no calf shipped until it was at least 7 days old. Tjose were his standards and he maintaned them. Obviously the $2 calves were barely a break even while the others were profit makeers. I never hauled a known sickly calf to the sale barn. After a couple of months, folks would line up at the unloading gate and write down the numbers of the calves I was dropping off. Wasn't long and Holstein bulls were around 25-35 bucks and the cross calves had almost doubled. A reputation for quality, healthy calves was pretty well shown to me to be the best business decision one could make.
A great dairyman/businessman and one of the finest people I've ever known. He's been dead for many years and I still miss talking to him, but everyday he has some impact on how we do things and help that we provide to others.

dun

Dyann":2izkp5mn said:
As to the spread in prices and different sale barns.. that is true.. however, there is another "truth" in Longhorns at sale barns. Many LH producers decide that certain animals will be roper prospects or other low enders.. which we all do.. but.. they take the worst of the worst to the sale barn, they dont do the usual (worming, etc) to these animals.. they are just kinda ignored until they haul them off. Most look like hell .. then they complain about .60 per pound.. well some of the ones I have seen at sale barns, I would not give .02 a pound for.. and I am a Longhorn producer. My sale barn prospects are treated no different than my keepers. When I select potential roping stock, I select for what the market is looking for and usually get more per pound (.25 -.50 more) on my LHs than other sale barn longhorns. I pay attention to horn base, horn length, weight, etc. Anything that does not make that cut, usually ends up in the freezer.

txbobcat:
jason(the guy who feeds them out ) has slowly developed a market for freezer beef locally,in western ny. he now sells around 45-50 halves a year and one of his customers told his brother who owns a steakhouse in batavia,ny about the longhorn beef. now jason is in negotiations with the brother to provide longhorn for his restaurant. if that goes thru then we will have a market for quite a few more. but this has all developed over the last 6 to 7 years. it takes time but is well worth it now because of the price he gets and can give me.

There's an article about niche marketing in this months Drovers

dun

Dyann":1rfhl9g8 said:

Dyann,
I have seen some sorry lookin' Angus calves goes through the sale barn and still leave the ranchers a nice profit....why? Because the order buyers are stuck up bunch of wimps. Certain ranchers have a big ego and will do anything to convince their cattle is the best, bribe the packers, order buyers, etc......will pass the CAB standards blah blah blah....... I knew a well known meat packer who will bid anything from several area ranches....the guy was very partial to one rancher..... It wasn't fair to any others and smaller guys too. I hated the guy anyways....he have a VERY high opinion of himself so does the rancher he deal with. Some day I feel capitalism doesn't work.....

Dun I wish I had your experience you had working at that dairy farm...sound like a lot of work, yet rewarding. What other jobs could you be working hand on hands with those cute little critters???????? I am jealous.

Last fall I paid .50 for 500lb long horn cross at Greeley. Sorry, sorry condition looked like they had been roped hard and half starved.

Longhorns get docked because their bone to muscle ratio is so high, just like Dairy cattle. Also they don't grade well because they have virtually no intramuscular fat, this is why their meat is tough and tasteless.

BLACKPOWER":gf0g37wf said:
Longhorns get docked because their bone to muscle ratio is so high, just like Dairy cattle. Also they don't grade well because they have virtually no intramuscular fat, this is why their meat is tough and tasteless.

Thought dairy cattle had full bodies and 10 gallon udders!

Longhorn meat is cooked a little differently than "commercial" meat. Never overcook it.

Blackpower should check out some Longhorn websites and see some of those BIG cattle. Also, check out our website: http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com and see we're not raising skinny, bony, emaciated Longhorns. He must have seen pictures of the wild Longhorns that were roaming the range in the late 1800's... :p

Table 5. The Average Selling Price for Feeder Cattle Based on Breed or Breed Combination
Breed or Breed Types Average Selling Price (Value/cwt.) Deviation from Overall Breed Average (Value/cwt.)
Charolais x Limousin ....................$97.96 a....... ... $4.25
Hereford x Charolais ....................$96.39 b........... $2.68
Hereferd x Brahman x Angus.........$95.90 b,c......... $2.19
Charolais...................................... $95.79 b,c .........$2.08
Angus x Brahman.......................... $95.63 b,c,d ......$1.92
Hereford x Limousin ......................$95.54 c,d,e ......$1.83
Limousin....................................... $95.21 d,e......... $1.50
Angus x Hereford......................... $94.94 e........... $1.23
Charolais x 1/4 Brahman ..............$93.99 f............ $0.28
Angus........................................... $93.33 f ...........-$0.38
Brangus ........................................$93.06 f,g........ -$0.65
Angus x Charolais........................ $92.87 f,g........ -$0.84
1/2 Brahman Cross ......................$92.39 g ..........-$1.32
1/4 Brahman Cross ......................$91.75 h ..........-$1.96
Simmental .....................................$89.69 i ...........-$4.02
Hereford ..................... ..................$83.37 j .........-$10.34
Brahman ....................... ...............$80.94 k .........-$12.77
Longhorn ......................................$74.52 l.......... -$19.19

a, b, c, d …I Averages without a common superscript differ (P , 0.01).

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... A-3056.asp

Running Arrow Bill":2tbc1o3k said:
BLACKPOWER":2tbc1o3k said:

Thought dairy cattle had full bodies and 10 gallon udders!

Longhorn meat is cooked a little differently than "commercial" meat. Never overcook it.

Blackpower should check out some Longhorn websites and see some of those BIG cattle. Also, check out our website: http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com and see we're not raising skinny, bony, emaciated Longhorns. He must have seen pictures of the wild Longhorns that were roaming the range in the late 1800's... :p

Listen to me. I'm not saying that Longhorn cattle look like Dairy cattle. What I am saying is that the Bone to Muscle Ratio on dairy cattle and Longhorns is relatively the same and much higher than your typical beef breeds.

Longhorns in my area serve two purposes roping stock and decoration. I am A firm believe that there is money to be made in LH, but not at the kill floor. I worked for a fewedlot that fed a lot of LHs and they did poor on feed and were never sold on the grid. Why, inferior meat quality. The breed in my mind needs to evolve much as the hereford breed did. Imagine all herefords being belt buckle high today, they would get the crap docked out of them. My thought of LHs is that of a niche market that everyone seems to have a corner on.

Randyman

Anonymous":4cgssb43 said:
Longhorns in my area serve two purposes roping stock and decoration. I am A firm believe that there is money to be made in LH, but not at the kill floor. I worked for a fewedlot that fed a lot of LHs and they did poor on feed and were never sold on the grid. Why, inferior meat quality. The breed in my mind needs to evolve much as the hereford breed did. Imagine all herefords being belt buckle high today, they would get the be nice docked out of them. My thought of LHs is that of a niche market that everyone seems to have a corner on.

Randyman

Yes, Randy, a HUGE nitch market! High dollar stuff that has been increasing for a number of years. True...LH are not the best choice for the slaughter house!!

Longhorns function on 20% less food than other breeds and are very efficent grazers. We fill out our longhorns with bermuda pasture, occasional alfalfa hay supplement, special LH minerals, 20% range cubes, and feeding supplements for any weaned calves or pregnant females that need to gain some weight (and horn length). Protein makes all the difference in their condition! And, we are between 1.5 and 2.5 lbs a day gain with our program from birth to breeding age--some gain even more. Some of our mature animals are on a "diet" (no supplements).

:)

Latest posts