longhorn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Anonymous":1ovgpj2p said:
Does anyone know where you could find 25 180 lb longhorn calves for sale.

Advertising seems to be removed from the chat boards pretty quick. You might check the classified ads; the link is on the front page here at Cattle Today. Or if you register on the boards, a Longhorn breeder can send you a private message (pm). Posting your location would be helpful, too.

Anonymous":13qo84i0 said:

Where are you located? What type animal are you looking for, heifers, steers, bull calves, registered or commercial?

We don't have that many young calves, but we should have a few hitting the ground pretty soon.

Thanks for the input. I just registered so thats out of the way. Sex dosent matter I want them for roping. First for calf roping then as yearling we will use them for team roping then we will breed the heifers.

WILD BILL":3s1y3bpg said:
Thanks for the input. I just registered so thats out of the way. Sex dosent matter I want them for roping. First for calf roping then as yearling we will use them for team roping then we will breed the heifers.

You didn't mention your location? I'm in Central Texas, northwest of Waco.

Anonymous":11i7vpai said:

180# calves? For roping, etc.? You're looking for 2.5 to 3.5 +/- month old calves that are still nursing.... Ours are weaned at 6-7 months at about 300-400 lbs.... Don't sell (as am sure other Longhorn breeders do) any unweaned calves unless mama goes as part of sale. We presently have 3 bull calves in 7-12 month old range. Why specifically 180 lbs? Longhorns aren't "cookie cutter" animals that are feedlot conditioned to all look the same, identical size, etc. Maybe the Corriente people produce those; however, don't know of any serious Longhorn breeders that do assembly line type "portion control" breeding, raising.... :)

I am in Ohio. I understand the purebred breeders outlook on selling young calves. It is hard to find a matched group of calves. Cross bred calves would be fine as long as they will produce horns that will be at least 2" past ear as yearlings.

Latest posts