Longhorn Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleA

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions;

I have two longhorn females - i call them my trophy gals. Waiting for those horns to get big!!!! :lol:

I stopped feeding them from the round bale feeder because i thought it might damage the horns. I now feed them, daily, out of 'big ol tires'. The problem is that I am see more waste than i would like. The fools toss the flakes in the air and the hay falls out side the tires, then they stomp it into the ground.

What are your thoughts on this? Something i have to live with?

Second question is worming. My squeeze chute is not designed for longhorns and again, i don't want to hurt them horns!!!. Can i just run them in a alley, worm em, and let them 'walk' them selves out of the chute?

Thanks all -

and yes, i do breed them each year with the rest of the herd, this is where i get my beef.

Alex

CircleA said:
I have a couple of questions;

I have two longhorn females - i call them my trophy gals. Waiting for those horns to get big!!!! :lol:

I stopped feeding them from the round bale feeder because i thought it might damage the horns. I now feed them, daily, out of 'big ol tires'. The problem is that I am see more waste than i would like. The fools toss the flakes in the air and the hay falls out side the tires, then they stomp it into the ground.

What are your thoughts on this? Something i have to live with?

Second question is worming. My squeeze chute is not designed for longhorns and again, i don't want to hurt them horns!!!. Can i just run them in a alley, worm em, and let them 'walk' them selves out of the chute?

(End of Quote)

My Reply:

Regular type round bale feeders are not appropriate for Longhorns. We use the "Horse" bale feeders without the top perimeter bar on it: use the "Tartar Gate" and "Applegate Steel" feeders, blue color/red color respectively...work very well.

A Longhorn knows EXACTLY where the tip of the horn is! If you don't rush them in any way, they will thread their horns through most any obstacle without damage to horn or objects. Have you watched them scratch a tiny itch with the tip of their horn???

We use a custom-made (you can also buy them ready-made) "Medina Hinge" design squeeze unit. Basically one fixed gate (that opens out after working the cattle) and another gate hinged on same end to "squeeze" any size longhorn for treatment. Can see photo of ours on our website: http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com (select "Our Ranch Photos" page).

"Normal" type squeeze chutes with headgates only work for a Longhorn upto about a 24" horn tip-to-tip (for easy on Longhorn and you).

Once you can restrain the animal, recommend twice yearly de-worming with an injectible, plus other usual calfhood and adult yearly re-vaccinations. These are very hardy and disease-resistant cattle; however, they still need to be treated like other cattle in their health and nutrition program.

Latest posts