Longhorn Brahman x

Help Support CattleToday:

mermill2":2xgrth1x said:
Does anyone have a picture of a Longhorn Brahman x ? Please post it if you do ? I would appreciate pictures of bull(s), cow(s), and heifer(s)

I know I've seen a picture of one somewhere... I'll keep searching to see if I can't find it.

Are you thinking about this cross?

Ryan

i saw a gorgeous one at the salebarn a while back, she was dark brown and shiny with an appaloosa pattern on her butt and underline. had a great set of ears on her too.

ill see if i can dig up some pics....dad used to experiment with his longhorns....we loved the brahmanXlonghorns just they didnt respect fences....

Dont understand why any one would cross these two for beef purposes. steaks from them would be like chewing on gravels. i got brahman cross cattle. and have nothing againts longhorn.but that aint a good combo

ALACOWMAN":3j7a4tdz said:
Dont understand why any one would cross these two for beef purposes. steaks from them would be like chewing on gravels. i got brahman cross cattle. and have nothing againts longhorn.but that aint a good combo

If it were all about the best beef, why does everyone not raise Murray Grey????? :lol:

You are right in a lot of ways. LH can add the ability to thrive in tough range, disease resistence etc.. Bos indicus adds the same traits. Most of us in the south are using bos indicus (Brahman) bloodline crosses. If not for bos indicus, we would like use LH

You are kind adding an extra step that is not necessary with the LH,, in my opinion.

Just breed the Brahmans straight to the Charlosis and be done with it.

They make some great momma cows. I saw some on a ranch a while back. I talked to the owner and have been planning on getting some also. They were an off white/ yellow color, heavy bones, lot of muscle, good ear. Great looking animals. Looked like they were doing well down here.

What kind of bull are you going to put on that cross?

Brute 23":reuzea1h said:
You are kind adding an extra step that is not necessary with the LH,, in my opinion.

They make some great momma cows. I saw some on a ranch a while back. I talked to the owner and have been planning on getting some also. They were an off white/ yellow color, heavy bones, lot of muscle, good ear. Great looking animals. Looked like they were doing well down here.

You're dead on Brute. My favorite is a yellow F1 Brahman/Char cross. Picked her up at the Dublin sale and should have taken more just like her that went through that night. Thick, long, and lots of milk for the calves.

Brute 23":2p4s4mwj said:

Yup... the Brahman X Longhorn would be kind of counter productive...the have similar strengths and weaknesses, so like said above you would be adding an extra step. It would be more productive to breed the longhorn to an angus or hereford, then to the charolais.

Here are some pictures:

*Edit: Just want to make sure everyone knows that these are not mine, just found these pictures online ;-)

Cow
LHXBRAHMAN.jpg

Heifer
LHXBRAHMAN_-_01.jpg

Bull
LHXBRAHMAN_-_02.jpg

you living in kentucky i personally wouldnt want any ear on my momas. you take a calf to the sale like the one ryan has shown. you will be beat like a redheaded step child. now a brangus cow makes a good cross with a charolais.the trick to crossbreeding is two mate two breeds that compliment each other

Latest posts