Longhorn Beef Processors

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Now...everyone, trust you will take me seriously...lol. Know there are excellent opinions and advice on this board...will appreciate your help!

We've located a beef processor in the St Joseph, MO area who wants Longhorn beef to add leanness to their commercial ground beef. We're taking couple of our non-breeding & non-big horn cattle to them along with 2 of our LH being sold to a private ranch in that area.

Now...the question:

Does anyone know of a Beef Processor (small type) in the Texas, OK, Southern Colo., Eastern NM area that would be interested in Longhorn meat? This would include small processors that also have a meat market at their facility.

Since we don't do "sale barn" LH sales, but do slaughter one as needed for our own use, we (as others) usually end up with "extra" bulls that are not suitable for breeding sires (horn growth potential, color, pedigree stuff, etc.). We don't sell to other breeders anything we would not want to use for breeding ourselves.

Being in the Texas Panhandle, I would like to find a meat processor within 200 to 400 miles of here that would be interested in buying "beef on the hoof" from us.

Thanks for anyone's help!

I would suggest to talk to the Officers and Directors of the Longhorn Assns. about contacting the processors in that area. You may want to
talk to the Exe. Srcretary or Exe. V.P. about this and attend one of the meetings and make a presentation to them as a group.
I feel sure, that with as many small packers in that general area that some would be interested in
LoneStar
Texas
Longhorn Beef

Isn't there an ALPO plant just north of Dallas??
I'm sorry.
I appologize.
I'm new here, it might take a while for you to appreciate my humor, or lack of same....

Some months ago I saw a grocery store ad flyer that was promoting as a sale item Texas Longhorn hamburger under a branded name something like "Silver Vista Beef". This was at Randall's, a somewhat upscale chain in Houston that has been acquired by Safeway. I'll check with their meat dept. in the next few days and see if I can get some specifics for you.

hillbilly":3ttmm8vt said:
Isn't there an ALPO plant just north of Dallas??
I'm sorry.
I appologize.
I'm new here, it might take a while for you to appreciate my humor, or lack of same....

No offense! I appreciate all humor (including misguided, politically incorrect innuendos)... :D

Think Alpo comes from non-eatable animal parts (at least as considered by the moral majority)....

There is a market for VERY lean beef albeit a small market. And, like I mentioned in my post the Missouri processor obviously had customers that were looking for the 90-95% lean ground beef that the "commercial" breeds were not producing after being fattened up at the feedlot. On the other hand...no one needs to panic over the fantasy that Longhorn beef will take over the beef industry...the number of live longhorns in the USA would only supply our country with a few days of beef.

Latest posts