Longevity or Lack of It

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie":38c3xioa said:
J. Zeagler":38c3xioa said:
Ensign Ranches in Utah is a really large commercial operation that breeds their own bulls. They do not retain a bull or female out of a cow less than 7 years old. Obviously this would not be feasible for a purebred operation but I found their strategy to be interesting. They aren't just doing "lip service" in terms of longevity - they are walking the walk.

Is that the Mormon owned ranch?

I think that's in Florida, Deseret Ranches. They may have ranches in other states, too.

Frankie, there is not a doubt in my mind that if Coopers or Holdens of Montana were to disperse their Line One herds, that it would be an international interest and the average would be high. They consistently stay near the top in Hereford sale averages every year. Holdens had the #1 sale average and Cooper the #2 sale average for 75-100 bulls, at $5246 and $4069. Holden's top seller was $23,000, Cooper's $15,000. Maybe you are speaking for line-bred Angus, but you sure aren't for line-bred Herefords.

Geeenwillowherefords":2hqbuwh6 said:
Maybe you are speaking for line-bred Angus, but you sure aren't for line-bred Herefords.

Psssst......They are still working on the longevity issues with the Line bred Angus.... ;-)

1848":1a4ow1lt said:
Geeenwillowherefords":1a4ow1lt said:
Maybe you are speaking for line-bred Angus, but you sure aren't for line-bred Herefords.

Psssst......They are still working on the longevity issues with the Line bred Angus.... ;-)

Hmm. Which "Line bred Angus" herd would that be?

1848 said
Terminal cross breeders (the biggest users of Angus bulls) may have to buy a lot of Angus bulls out of necessity, not because they are "just good".

I'm still waiting for 1848 to show me proof that the biggest users of Angus bulls are Terminal cross breeders. Could he possibly have been talking though his hat with this statement? Time will tell....

frankie":1gilks8w said:
I'm still waiting for 1848 to show me proof that the biggest users of Angus bulls are Terminal cross breeders. Could he possibly have been talking though his hat with this statement? Time will tell....

It has to do with me saying I would give you the last word...and you still have it!

Latest posts