longer school years?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMN

Reaction score
Obama wants to lengthen the school year, because he says the rest of the world goes to school longer and there kids are so more advanced than USA kids. My kids would have a cow, not to mention that they are a big help in summertime with haying etc.. I can't see my kids wanting to be in school any longer than they already are. Is it being in school that makes a person better? Or is it the classes available, the teachers, etc.. that enable the kids to learn more? I think its more of the latter. These days it seems some teachers, watch the clock more than the kids do, they hardly ever stay after, and as a parent you can't ever get a hold of them, except thru the school etc... I just don't think his generalization is accurate as to why students here may be behind as compared to foreign countries. Plus I do not think this should be one of his main priorities while in office, considering all else that is going on wrong in this world. What do you all think? Longer school years, less summer vacation?

GMN

If I had to do it over I would do what one of the guys I work with did.

He home schooled - his kids are all now graduated from college and on some serious careers and all happily married.

They used to do a complete year in well less than 1/2 the time it took to do the same work in school.

So much wasted time in schools.

US schools as a whole do not have a great reputation - amd I know there are good ones. I can point out several deficiancies in the product because i work with lots of them - Canada is going the same way and will soon be with you so it is not strictly an American problem.

Quality of education should rank far above the length of time spent being taught.

Want to improve the school system?

Demand teacher competency testing. Not likely to happen.

As for the longer school year - well, most folks would like it as they would have less expenses for babysitting.

Teachers might not be too happy - but despite having had a few good ones - I really do not have a lot of time for them as a group - let them whine.

You and I are minority types as we are in ag - the vast majority of VOTERS live in the city - they are the ones who will eventually decide for the rest of us.

Regards

Bez+

No, being in school doesn't make a person "better." Where did you come up with that? Do your kids go to school because they "want" to right now? :roll: Being in school longer MIGHT give someone a better chance to LEARN something which is what schools are supposed to be about. Shorter vacations would help retention between grades. When we lived in Denver, there were school districts going year 'round there and that was 20 years ago. Why would you object, if it could be shown that it would improve your kid's education?

Home schooling is not a "cure all" either. I know two kids who were home schooled (mom was an accredited teacher) that did very well. One is an attorney and the other a CPA. On the other hand, I know probably a dozen that would have a hard time finding any kind of work because they can't read or write well, have no knowledge of higher math or science. But their parents are intent on keeping them "on the farm" or getting them married off, so were not very worried about whether they learned anything or not.

In one family (ten kids), the oldest girl left as soon as she turned 18 because most of the care of her younger siblings was pushed off on her. The oldest boy tried to attend a welding school at to Vo-Tech and couldn't handle the reading/writing part of the course. I don't know what he's doing now, and I hate it. He's a nice kid.

When we lived in Germany, many years ago, the landlord's kids went to school six days a week. We're falling further and further behind the rest of the world in math and science and importing more and more foreigners to work in those fields.

Bez+":35eyie60 said:
Want to improve the school system?

Demand teacher competency testing. Not likely to happen.

As for the longer school year - well, most folks would like it as they would have less expenses for babysitting.

Teachers might not be too happy - but despite having had a few good ones - I really do not have a lot of time for them as a group - let them whine.

I agree with you 100%. Its not the length of time you are in school but the quality of education you get while you are there. I'm all for competency testing and I really would like to see teachers drug tested on a regular basis. I know of one teacher who almost killed my daughter when he ran off the road at 9:00 a.m in the morning and came through our fences and into the feed lot where she was standing not 5 minutes earlier. He was drunk and was on god knows what else. Since he was a teacher they swept this under the rug but what's ironic is the court will not let him stay with his own children unless they are chaperoned BUT he can be with OUR children without a chaperon. Its ridiculous.

Other than he and one other teacher, I will say that we have some wonderful teachers in our school system but its a shame to have incompetent teachers in a system when there are so many good ones that could take their place. I've been real pleased with our teachers and we let them know that we are there if they need us and they are free to blister our children's hides if need be. So far this has been unnecessary and I now have two in ivy league colleges and one on her way to become an oncologist.(this year anyway)

Don't know if we just have a good school system or maybe my children know daddy believes in weaning them like his daddy did him.

If parents focused as much on academics as they do sports and other extras, the problem would be solved!

No, being in school doesn't make a person "better." Where did you come up with that? quote:

I did not come up with that, I was paraphrasing what the arcticle said, that if kids would spend more time in school they would be better people in the future, more enabled in the work fields, etc..

I think the schools these days worry too much about things they shouldn't health screenings, etc are the parents responsiblity, the curriculum should be based on todays world, learn about the past, but don't spend a whole quarter on Romeo and Juliet, add more finance and tech programs, computers, hands on in various other fields of interest. Maybe having laptops in the classrooms as some of the more wealthy school districts have should be a requirement for all school districts. Time managed better during the 5 days a week, would be far more beneficial, than having more time at school which is wasted learning things unrelative.

GMN

They've been talking year-round school ever since I was in school-had all us worried silly. This ain't a new idea.
And they talked about Sat. school. Didn't happen either. At least they did away with "new math"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts