Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased a small herd from a retiring 85 year old. Cattle were not managed much in recent years. Included is a nice looking long yearling with a new calf. She weighs 750#. Our bulls were turned out yesterday, but I don't expect her to rebred in season. What is best option - - pull calf now and hope she cycles. or wean him later and just cull the yearling, or ?

Steve,
Once she's 20 days or more post-calving, you could give a shot of GnRH, put in a CIDR for 7 days, pull it and give a shot of prostaglandin, and let the bull have her.
https://www.agweb.com/article/use-progesterone-to-induce-estrous-in-late-calving-beef-cows-for-ai-or-natural-service-NAA-university-news-release

It depends on how valuable she is to you. You could sell as a cow/calf pair now, or let her raise her calf and sell if she doesn't breed early enough to fit your calving season. You can try Lucky_Ps suggestion which would be great if that works for you, but if she is 750 lbs. and a long yearling, I would expect her not to start cycling even with treatment. It would certainly be worth a try though. good luck.

Lucky_P said:
Steve,
Once she's 20 days or more post-calving, you could give a shot of GnRH, put in a CIDR for 7 days, pull it and give a shot of prostaglandin, and let the bull have her.
https://www.agweb.com/article/use-progesterone-to-induce-estrous-in-late-calving-beef-cows-for-ai-or-natural-service-NAA-university-news-release

She is in good condition now, but given her size, I am inclined to also pull the calf after 27 days. Any thoughts on how this would effect the CIDR sync results?

Stocker Steve said:
Lucky_P said:
Steve,

She is in good condition now, but given her size, I am inclined to also pull the calf after 27 days. Any thoughts on how this would effect the CIDR sync results?

If she is in good condition, throw her on good grass with a bull and let the chips fall where they will. Bet she cycles within the next couple months. If not she will sell decent as heiferette.

Give her a shot of cystorelin, keep her and her calf close for a few days (some extra treats wouldn't hurt) until hormones balance out and let her back with herd

Addition. Strongly advise having her with "a buddy" so she isn't alone and totally segregated

southalberta said:
Give her a shot of cystorelin, keep her and her calf close for a few days (some extra treats wouldn't hurt) until hormones balance out and let her back with herd

Please enlighten my on how with will work in it of itself? A non-cycling lactating young heifer will have no activity on her ovaries at this point. Cystorelin is a drug that makes the animal drop any oocytes that might be forming. If she is non-cycling, Cystorelin will do nothing. In a non-cycling female, the best course of action is a CiDR for at least 7 days, then follow up with lute/estrumate. Even that may not work, depending on the heifer, body condition score, health, and how much she is lactating.

She will not be worth much at the barn now. Just let her raise the calf, see if it is within 90% of the herd WW ratio so you can know to keep her. If it is a dink, let her fatten and then sell her. Otherwise let nature take the course. All of the extra work for a questionable animal is too much cost and effort for me.

When this happens here if I like the heifer I let the heifer raise the calf, winter her and turn her out with the bulls the following spring. Not sure why I'd want to cull her. By the time they have their second calf they are back in sync with the rest of the herd and have had the same number of calves.

Silver said:
When this happens here if I like the heifer I let the heifer raise the calf, winter her and turn her out with the bulls the following spring. Not sure why I'd want to cull her. By the time they have their second calf they are back in sync with the rest of the herd and have had the same number of calves.

That's exactly what I did with my heifer with the Oops Baby last year. And I did put her back with the heifers this year. She should be bred by now & back on schedule.