long wait for a test . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
. . . . seems strange how long it's taking to commercialize that NH test. pulled my fta cards on my suspects back when I wormed . . . wife's getting sick of seeing a stack of bloodcards on her bookshelf. :roll:

Especially with as quickly as they moved with the AM test. I wonder how long it will be before Fawn Calf officially comes out as recognized from the association.

Yep, I have quite a few from the Fawn Calf suspected line. Maybe they aren't as accurate with the NH as they would like to be yet, seems like it should have already been available. I went ahead and sent in another couple for AM testing and GeneStar testing, I'm tired of waiting. They are spitting out healthy calves, so I'm not too worried about it.

angus9259":146orun8 said:
. . . . seems strange how long it's taking to commercialize that NH test. pulled my fta cards on my suspects back when I wormed . . . wife's getting sick of seeing a stack of bloodcards on her bookshelf. :roll:

I think they got so many complaints about how curly calf was handled that they're going slower for NH. This is the last I saw:

http://www.angus.org/pubs/NH_Notice_043009.pdf

Yup, they need to sell off all that 1680 stuff first. :lol2: I saw where people were selling everything they had. Maybe they will release something after the fall sales. :lol2:

Just got the email, they are testing now.

Pfizer Animal Genetics is now offering a diagnostic test for the genetic defect Neuropathic Hydrocephalus (NH). In collaboration with Dr. Jon Beever at the University of Illinois, Dr. David Steffen at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the American Angus Association (AAA), the gene mutation responsible for NH has been identified and a commercial test has been developed and validated. Additionally, Pfizer Animal Genetics has been approved by the AAA as an official NH testing laboratory.

Samples must be submitted to Pfizer Animal Genetics with an accompanying order form and will be tested in the order in which they are received by Customer Service.

In most cases, samples already on file may be used for NH testing. Please refer to the archived sample order form that you received electronically last week and indicate which animals you would like tested for NH. If a new sample is required, a customer service representative will contact you. Pfizer Animal Genetics is dedicated to helping producers reduce the impact of this genetic defect and will strive to ensure test results are provided in a timely manner.

Click here to download our order form and pricing guide. For each animal tested for NH before September 30, 2009, you will earn a $10 credit towards future GeneSTAR® MVP™ testing. These credits must be redeemed before December 15, 2009. NH credits may not be combined with other credits and one animal may be tested per credit.

Please visit www.pfizeranimalgenetics.com for ongoing updates, details about sample submission, or to download order forms and answers to frequently asked questions. For additional information, please contact Customer Service at 1-877-BEEF DNA
(1-877-233-3362).

Sincerely,

Pfizer Animal Genetics

Latest posts