Long treated posts in IN, KY or IL?

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
When my neighbor several years ago built fence, he used some kind of heavy fiberglass pipe for braces. These held up for a while, but the sun has done them no favors over the years and they are starting to fail. The new neighbor and I are planning some fencing work this summer and we'd like to get those braces replaced. Problem is, the original builder spaced his posts 9' because apparently the pipe he got came in 18' sections.

A few years ago, a county ditcher grabbed the fence and broke a brace. We replaced it with a 4X6 because it was the only thing we could find that was strong enough and long enough to do the job. It looks like it's near end of life so we don't want to go there again.

I've found a couple of sources of 10' round posts. Kencove is about 4 hours away, but it's a direction I never go and don't really have anything else I could do there that would make the trip worthwhile. Neighbor is Amish, so even though he'll share the cost, it's on me to drive. Green River Posts is about 3 hours away, but they only sell by the bundle and we'd end up with a bunch of posts we don't need. Kencove will ship, but I'm afraid freight will be a killer on a relatively small order.

Hate to start moving posts. These things are driven halfway to the earth's core and were apparently treated with nuclear waste because they are still rock solid.

Anybody know of a source for something in the area that will last? Thought about oilfield pipe, but I've had problems with them coming loose before. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

I don't know how many post you need but menards has them on there web site 50 bucks a piece but they are 8"x10' round post treated if this helps.

10' EMT 1.5" dia. conduit is about $13, not sure what galvanized fence post for chain link runs but something similar, both are at Lowes. Should be able to flatten the ends and drill a hole through them for easy bolting. Just a thought?

Go to any chain link supplier or as was mentioned above use metal conduit. 2" is better but 1.5" will work. Cut to length, drive 10" galvanized spike thru pre-drilled hole into center of pipe so it "hangs" on it. Tighten your brace wire. Leve a 1/2" out on your off side spike to hang wire on. Shouldn't have to drive to far to find that and it will work great.

southern states in maysville ky has 10' long wood brace posts. I have a bundle sitting right here from them. 10.50/each i think.

ddd75":107h1yi2 said:
southern states in maysville ky has 10' long wood brace posts. I have a bundle sitting right here from them. 10.50/each i think.

We go to Natural Bridge every few years. Might be an option.

Ask your Amish neighbor if he knows where to get some black locust of the length I bet he will know. Amish do not go to town for much they find a way to make do.

hurleyjd":ep15tbnd said:
Ask your Amish neighbor if he knows where to get some black locust of the length I bet he will know. Amish do not go to town for much they find a way to make do.

I got 2 huge black locust trees I need to get taken down. Hint hint.
I'm just up the road a piece. A fur piece (as my (WV) granddad always said).

hurleyjd":378wahxt said:

*looks around*

amish neighbors with skid steers, trucks. cell phones.. solar panels.... Central aired cooled houses...

they are pretty good at making stuff! :lol2:

We use oilfield pipe all the time. Either drive a spike nail into both posts for the pipe to rest on or weld a piece of flat steel to both ends of the pipe, drill or smoke a hole top and bottom of the pipe, and nail or screw the pipe to the post. Drill stem should be common in your area, there's plenty of oilfield in the Tri-state.

We are in southern IN, as well. There is a pretty good chance we have what you need in stock. Green River doesn't stock anything longer than 8', but I've been working on them to treat some longer timber for us. Hope this is helpful.

Farm Fence Solutions":6x8nwtxx said:
If you are 4 hours from Earl Park, and 3 hours from Sebree, we must be neighbors.

I reckon we are. 20 miles as the crow flies. Looks like Switz City is about halfway between us on a line.

I was looking at Green River's 4X10 PT round posts. Don't know if they stock them, but they have a price on their site.

jkwilson":2pz417bh said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2pz417bh said:
If you are 4 hours from Earl Park, and 3 hours from Sebree, we must be neighbors.

I reckon we are. 20 miles as the crow flies. Looks like Switz City is about halfway between us on a line.

I was looking at Green River's 4X10 PT round posts. Don't know if they stock them, but they have a price on their site.

They don't have any in stock. I met with the owner and manager last week about a different matter, and mentioned longer stock again. It sounded promising that GRP might start stocking longer posts for us. :D

Farm Fence Solutions":25vp5egy said:
jkwilson":25vp5egy said:
Farm Fence Solutions":25vp5egy said:

They don't have any in stock. I met with the owner and manager last week about a different matter, and mentioned longer stock again. It sounded promising that GRP might start stocking longer posts for us. :D

I've seen semis loaded with untreated posts heading for GRP on the Pennyrile/I69 and it looks like they are usually full loads of the same post so they might prefer to deal in big volume. I'd like to see the place, just out of curiosity, but I'm usually towing my boat when I'm in that area.

jkwilson":2yt1zdia said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2yt1zdia said:
jkwilson":2yt1zdia said:

I've seen semis loaded with untreated posts heading for GRP on the Pennyrile/I69 and it looks like they are usually full loads of the same post so they might prefer to deal in big volume. I'd like to see the place, just out of curiosity, but I'm usually towing my boat when I'm in that area.

We do a fair amount of business with them, so if you'd ever like to see the place, you are more than welcome to ride down with me sometime. They do prefer volume sales. We take a semi or two a week from there. Most importantly, what kind of boat?

Latest posts