Long term drought prediction for Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Was a listing to climate prediction center on a farm program today, he said by all indications look for the dry weather pattern to be like this till the fall of 2012 and maybe for the next 2 years. He said the water situation will get serious in Texas before this is over, the last bad drought in the 1950's Texas had a population of 6 million now the population is over 25 million.

cowboy43":yauj8p5l said:
Was a listing to climate prediction center on a farm program today, he said by all indications look for the dry weather pattern to be like this till the fall of 2012 and maybe for the next 2 years. He said the water situation will get serious in Texas before this is over, the last bad drought in the 1950's Texas had a population of 6 million now the population is over 25 million.

Well I got some good literature from TAMU for drought stratagies in surviving a drought, that's about all I have gotten good from it. I just thought I knew drought management untill this one. The last time Texas had a drought this bad was 1910/11.

Caustic Burno":9xao2x8x said:
cowboy43":9xao2x8x said:

Well I got some good literature from TAMU for drought stratagies in surviving a drought, that's about all I have gotten good from it. I just thought I knew drought management untill this one. The last time Texas had a drought this bad was 1910/11.

i don't remember that one. i slept a lot when i was younger.
seriously i thought this was the worst on record.

TennesseeTuxedo":1os3fq3z said:
Looks like the droughts in the 50's were pretty nasty.

I pray every morning for you folks to get some rain.

Bless you and thank you.
One of the weather guru's I follow and read everyday say's middle of the week will be our last 100 deg day for the year.
He predicts we will return to a more normal sea breeze rain every few days. I am praying he is right but he is a weatherman. Thats great for us but not a lot of the rest of the state. I live in one of the two highest rainfall counties in the state 60 inches or better a year. We haven't recieved 10 inches so far this year.

I grew up in Dallas and remember well the summer of 1980. I worked outside in construction and landscaping during the record stretch of 100 degree plus days. I was a kid in college back then and much better equipped to handle the heat.

Hang in there Texans!

Some areas of Texas really plan for droughts, but alas that cant be said for the Houston area. They just last week started to do some water rationing. They are still cutting there lawns short and watering like all get out, Makes me sick to she the waste of that water for someone postage stamp lawn.

TennesseeTuxedo":3vpw649e said:
I grew up in Dallas and remember well the summer of 1980. I worked outside in construction and landscaping during the record stretch of 100 degree plus days. I was a kid in college back then and much better equipped to handle the heat.

Hang in there Texans!
Cakewalk.....

Worked many Springs, Summers and Falls like that too...am very greatful I'm not working this one.

1982vett":3i0q0h9l said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3i0q0h9l said:

Hang in there Texans!
Cakewalk.....

Worked many Springs, Summers and Falls like that too...am very greatful I'm not working this one.

We have a 40%, 60%, 60% on the 1st 2nd and 3rd. :banana: :banana:

Navy has predicted a system look's like it is going to take dead aim on the chute into the Gulf. We are entering peak time for the bad storms.

I have rain fall and Temp charts for Caldwell county from 1892 to 1990. I also have the Palmer Drought Severity Index charts for Caldwell county.on the Palmer Index 1909 and 1910 were bad,1954,1955,1956 and 1957 were worse.The chart shows the 50s as nearly twice as dry in the 50s in Caldwell county.Not all countys have the same rainfall. The thing I notice about this chart,how ever accurate it is,Is Caldwell County Texas has more dry years than wet ones. The chart shows 1951 and 1952 as dry also but 1953 and 1954 were normal.So the decade of the 50s was mostly dry. Can only state most drouths break in sept and Oct by this book.

Man I got goosebumps as big as horse turds we have rain in the forecast Wed night through Sept 5.
First time they have turned off that recorded loop in three months of hot and dry.
Man if this pans out I will be happier than a three peckered Billy Goat.

It is looking like parts of Texas has some chance of getting rain:

Will Texas be the Next Target for a Hurricane?
By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist
Aug 30, 2011; 9:08 AM ETShare | .

There is a possibility that more than just tropical moisture flows into Texas starting later this week. We could be looking at tropical storm formation in the western Gulf of Mexico.

An upcoming area of disturbed weather in the western Gulf of Mexico bears watching from Louisiana to Texas and northeastern Mexico.

The tropics may yet lend a hand in the Texas drought situation as it appears a system rolling through the western Caribbean now may later gel in the western Gulf of Mexico.

That system is rather disorganized at this time, but there is room for development late in the week.

The seriousness of the drought and heat in Texas goes without saying, and most of Texas would be willing to take a hit from a tropical storm or minimal hurricane to bring a change.

We are not going to say either is definitely coming to Texas at this point, but there will be a disturbance milling around in the western Gulf of Mexico during the second half of this week.

This infrared satellite image from Tuesday morning shows the feature of interest over the western Caribbean, to the northeast of Nicaragua and Honduras.
If that system is able to avoid land long enough, shifting weather patterns up north and to the west could allow it to organize, strengthen and eventually drift toward Texas real estate.

Interests in the Gulf of Mexico and the central and western Gulf coast should continue to monitor the situation.

According to Long Range Expert Paul Pastelok, "At the very least it does appear that there will be some rain getting into eastern Texas starting later this week, especially south and east of Dallas."

Elsewhere across the Atlantic Basin, Katia has formed and is expected to become our next hurricane by the end of the week.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/s ... target.asp