Long Range Forecast

Help Support CattleToday:

most here are stilling culling their herds,but i can think of 4 that had from 35 to 70 cows.an theyve just got 5 to 10hd on their places now.

Isomade":2rcyuedb said:
I spent more on feed in the third quarter for 11 cows than I typically do in a year for 28.
When you are feeding 5.5 ton's of hay and feed a month just to hold them doesn't make sense at a time when they should be on grass only. That comes to 33 pounds a day per cow that equates to total life support.
There is nothing left to eat except out of a feed bunk or hay rack. Just holding off selling the rest until next year, after selling the hay equipment and cows this year. I will be one of Uncle Sam's favorite nephew's this year. Boogie neighbor has got 400 acres with about 50 cows left in East Texas, talking about going to 10 to 20 unbelievable.
Besides raising he!! I foresee one old jenny in the pasture.

CB, you don't have to wait to sell till next year for tax purposes unless you just need the feed bill for a write-off this year. In Tx and Ok due to the drought you can sell cows and as long as you buy back in within two years you don't have to pay tax on the sale of livestock. I sat with my CPA and we called the IRS and confirmed this.[/quote]

Isom your right talked to my CPA today, in all honesty I would like to hang on to the girls I have left. The girls that are still here would be mighty hard to replace without a lot of nickel's. That said I am not going to spend all the sales profits to hold them either. Kinda one of them danged if you do and danged if you don't. If we could get some rain to plant winter pasture would be a big relief. When a cow is on total life support they can eat up some frog hides quick.

TexasBred":iajlfft8 said:
Brute 23":iajlfft8 said:
Its impossible for them to know how many cattle are left. There are cattle tucked away in places you would have to fly over to find.
There's probably a couple generations of cattle down on the gulfcoast and coastal bend areas that have never seen their owner. Daddy always called'em "Salt Water Brimmers". CB probably has some of them roaming his neck of the woods too. A real rodeo when they get penned and hauled. Break out the dogs !!!

Back when I was young man, that was right after the invention of dirt, TB there were some girls in the Old Lost River country had seldom seen a man. I have seen them with nothing but their nose sticking out of the water to get away from the skeeter's. Seen them take off across that marsh like a deer and swim that bay and river and never look back.
Those girls would fight a buzz saw and win. When I was working then in the Dickinson Bay and Armand Bayou(Old West Ranch) area we didn't put out hay, they got penned once maybe twice a year to pull the calf's and maybe worm them. I have seen dogs hanging off them like Christmas ornaments. I have heard the man I used to work for Mr.Wiggins say boy that old cow aint going to make it this winter many a time. When I would ride the fence and one would see you tails would go straight up and they would high tail it for the first thicket. You didn't take a horse to work cow's you took two or three.

1982vett":1hfo31yd said:
.......Lol.....hook, .what was the comment about drought in Texas ....been happening for 30000 years was it?.......probably applies as well to "low pressure" systems in Florida too.......

I guess that's about right..doesn't mean either one of us have to like it

Ltrx, hold yer breath, your fixing to get a bit more off this one. Looking at your pics your doing ok though.

I hear ya. Short term this rain is costing me money. Long term its making me money. And I'm not just talking cattle either. I just hope others that need some would get it

Caustic Burno":30tt7fli said:
TexasBred":30tt7fli said:
Brute 23":30tt7fli said:
Its impossible for them to know how many cattle are left. There are cattle tucked away in places you would have to fly over to find.
There's probably a couple generations of cattle down on the gulfcoast and coastal bend areas that have never seen their owner. Daddy always called'em "Salt Water Brimmers". CB probably has some of them roaming his neck of the woods too. A real rodeo when they get penned and hauled. Break out the dogs !!!

Back when I was young man, that was right after the invention of dirt, TB there were some girls in the Old Lost River country had seldom seen a man. I have seen them with nothing but their nose sticking out of the water to get away from the skeeter's. Seen them take off across that marsh like
a deer and swim that bay and river and never look back.
Those girls would fight a buzz saw and win. When I was working then in the Dickinson Bay and Armand Bayou(Old West Ranch) area we didn't put out hay, they got penned once maybe twice a year to pull the calf's and maybe worm them. I have seen dogs hanging off them like Christmas ornaments. I have heard the man I used to work for Mr.Wiggins say boy that old cow aint going to make it this winter many a time. When I would ride the fence and one would see you tails would go straight up and they would high tail it for the first thicket. You didn't take a horse to work cow's
you took two or three.

Ya. I know quite few guys who arent 100% sure how many cattle they have. They own and lease places all over. They turn out more than they sell every year. :D

Don't look too shiny for my part of the country either...Predicting we could have a repeat of last years Winter from He77-- with above normal snow and below normal temps.....And with the still abundant moisture in the area- they say that could cause another round of flooding...

Wish I could send those snowstorms south!!!!!!

TennesseeTuxedo":1qwd720f said:
Scary is what it is CB.

True, we have got to have some rain. Heard on the news the other day we are 48 inches behind.
That is roughly 1.2 million gallons of water per acre. That is four foot deep water per acre that is unbelievable to me.
If we don't start getting some rain here soon I can't imagine what the landscape is going to look like.
We normally get 60 inches a year of rainfall.

Caustic Burno":2twq8c3i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2twq8c3i said:
Scary is what it is CB.

True, we have got to have some rain. Heard on the news the other day we are 48 inches behind.
That is roughly 1.2 million gallons of water per acre. That is four foot deep water per acre that is unbelievable to me.
If we don't start getting some rain here soon I can't imagine what the landscape is going to look like.

I read an article the other day that is talking about/predicting another "dust bowl" scenerio similar to the dirty 30's over much of the south and midwest...

Oldtimer":26jgh1ig said:
Caustic Burno":26jgh1ig said:
TennesseeTuxedo":26jgh1ig said:
Scary is what it is CB.

I read an article the other day that is talking about/predicting another "dust bowl" scenerio similar to the dirty 30's over much of the south and midwest...

I guess I'll just have to sell the cows...and the lawn mower.

Latest posts