Long Range Dewormer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Has anyone used Long Range? Is it really worth the extra cost? My vet said I'd only have to deworm every 6 months and it helps reduce the fly population.

I used it for two years because the vets recommended it. They had an informational lunch and meeting about it when it first came out. One of their big claims was how well it prevented pink eye even though it was not labeled as such. The two years that I used it, I had the worst pink eye infections I ever had (in both the cows and calves.) They now recommend using it on the calves before turning out to pastures but not on the cows simply because of the cost. They claim it controls parasites for 6 months so if you use it, I would only treat once a year unless you have a major problem with worm infestations. I have not heard about any claim that it helps reduce flies. Maybe they were referring to the pink eye protection. I do not plan on using it any time in the future.

I have used it a couple times. Stocker calves this last year and bred heifers raised for sale in the past. Before using it I always had to get them gathered in the early summer and worm. With using it that time working the cattle was eliminated. I wouldn't use it on cows but stockers or bred heifers will definitely get it.

The only animals you should ever use LongRange on are stocker or feeder steers/heifers that gonna have their heads cut off and never go back to a farm. NEVER, EVER put it in a cow or a replacement heifer, and don't use it on animals that are grazing the same pastures as your breeding animals. It is the fastest way to selecting for a population of nematode parasites(worms) that are resistant to everything in the macrocyclic lactone(ML) class of dewormers (ivermectin, cydectin, doramectin, etc.) . Resistance to the MLs is forever.

The only animals you should ever use LongRange on are stocker or feeder steers/heifers that gonna have their heads cut off and never go back to a farm. NEVER, EVER put it in a cow or a replacement heifer, and don't use it on animals that are grazing the same pastures as your breeding animals. It is the fastest way to selecting for a population of nematode parasites(worms) that are resistant to everything in the macrocyclic lactone(ML) class of dewormers (ivermectin, cydectin, doramectin, etc.) . Resistance to the MLs is forever.
Can I ask where you got this info. My vets are still recommending it so I would like to find out where this info came from before asking them if that is a side affect or rumor.

I'm a veterinary pathologist; I taught parasitology to pre-veterinary and animal health technology students for 25 years, until I retired in 2018, and have tried to stay in front of the curve on emerging issues of parasite resistance and the importance of preserving refugia (the worm population not under selection pressure for resistance). If you talk to, or listen to, any of the veterinary parasitologists working with nematode parasites in food animals, I'll guarantee you that, to a person, they'll recommend against using a sustained-release anthelminthic, like LongRange, in cow-calf settings.

Ok I bought/ tried this last yr it sure takes a lot per pound to use so i only used in my yearlings, only way I could afford. It works but not sure 3/4full months.
Not sure I'll try it again I still have some left over

What????? Where did u get this info??

I don't think at these cattle prices it is cost effective to give to mature cows, and it has never been a cost effective method of fly control. It will often reduce fly populations, but on it's own will generally not be enough when there is heavy fly pressure. Using it in the calves could be reasonable in some specific situations. The cows will provide a degree of refugia to reduce severity of resistance. Southern states with longer parasite seasons will run more risk of resistance. You can expect roughly 70-100 days of effect from the drug. There are likely to be other extended release products on the market sooner than later, will be interesting to see what that does to the cost of Long Range.

What sort of worming regimen do you recommend?

What sort of worming regimen do you recommend?
I do not recommend but I will tell you what I do. I never worm any cow or bull over 3 YO. We do not have flukes here so that is a different issue. If the adults are not immune they have the chance to do poorly enough to be culled. The only response I ever see from wormer is on some first calf heifers after calving.

I looked up and read the label.

It says it must be prescribed by a vet.
It says do not use in dairy cattle, feedlot cattle or in intensive rotational grazing systems.

I do not know why it says these things, but this is rapidly becoming cost prohibitive.

I looked up and read the label.

It says it must be prescribed by a vet.
It says do not use in dairy cattle, feedlot cattle or in intensive rotational grazing systems.

I do not know why it says these things, but this is rapidly becoming cost prohibitive.
It's because in those situations the manure is concentrated in small areas. The drug is eliminated in the feces. In an extensive pasture situation the manure is spread out. The solution to pollution is dilution.

No.
Dairy cattle... milk residues are the concern. Essentially, every gallon of milk produced every day for 5 months(or more) would have violative residues of eprinomectin in it, if you used it in lactating dairy cows.
Feedlot cattle - I suspect tissue residues are, once again, the concern. Depending upon how long the cattle are on feed, it may be less than the 5-month duration of action claimed by BI for parasite control... but tissue residues may persist well beyond that 5-month mark, so even if cattle are on feed for 5 months or longer before slaughter, violative tissue residues might still be present. (On that point, if you're using it in a cow-calf setting, and decide to cull a cow or heifer... you may get smacked for tissue residues if she goes to slaughter)

Management-intensive grazing... I'm just postulating here... in those settings (as was the case here) you're moving cattle to a fresh paddock daily (or multiple times daily, or at least every couple of days)... and, each time they move, they're 'seeding' a fresh new paddock with parasite eggs selected for resistance to that class of dewormers. No chance for 'dilution' by refugia... which pretty well gets hammered anyway, if you follow the outdated practice of deworming everything in the herd at one time.

PBAngusOkie asked... and I'll tell you to consult your own veterinarian, but I know from experience, that many of my colleagues are not staying up-to-date on some issues... I know I had a hard time staying current when I was in practice. For instance, I lay a lot of the blame for widespread anthelminthic resistance we see in small ruminant nematode parasites at the foot of veterinarians who recommended (improper) rotation of dewormers. Did they do it on purpose? No, but changing to a different dewormer, or even worse - a different class of dewormers - every time you deworm, and deworming every animal in the flock... was a disaster. We're seeing that same resistance deal play out in cattle now... only major difference is, nematodes don't typically 'kill' cattle... but they'll sure kill the he!! out of goats and sheep.

Caveat: This is only for nematode parasites... liver flukes are a whole 'nother ball game:
I only deworm calves, yearlings, and first-calf heifers. Anything over 2.5-3 yrs needs to leave if she's got issues with parasites. Adult cows should and do develop immunity/tolerance to 'worms', and they are extremely important as the source of 'refugia' - the population of worms on a premise that's not under selection for resistance to dewormers.
Targeted/strategic deworming is desirable; timetable will vary depending upon your location... Here in KY, the best time to deworm is July... it's typically hot and dry for the next several months... worm eggs largely lie dormant, or larvae that hatch die more rapidly due to heat and dessication, allowing those calves/yearlings to gain more growth and immunologic response capabilities before being exposed to new 'waves' of infectious larvae when fall rains arrive.

thanks Lucky P
i have not used it but yours is good information.

Just repeating what I was told by the Merial representative when the drug first came on market. I questioned it because we rotational graze.
Edit to add: on the label under "Environmental Hazards " it states "not for use in cattle managed in feedlots or under intensive rotational grazing because the environmental impact has not been evaluated for these scenarios ". I agree with the residue concerns in dairy cattle, most drugs not labeled for lactating dairy cattle will not allow use in heifers beyond a certain age.

Last edited:
I only deworm calves, yearlings, and first-calf heifers. Anything over 2.5-3 yrs needs to leave if she's got issues with parasites. Adult cows should and do develop immunity/tolerance to 'worms', and they are extremely important as the source of 'refugia' - the population of worms on a premise that's not under selection for resistance to dewormers.

Lucky, do you have the research you can point me to on this? I'd like to read it. I have heard many people say it, but no one has been able to provide research. When asked, most people just say, "that's what I've seen in my herd." but they don't run fecal exams to even support that.

I am also under the impression from the life cycle of horn flies that dewormers can be very effective at treating them.